Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kingrat

The Soap Opera Thread

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(ONLY AUDIO OF THE EPISODE SURVIVES- but here it is)

OMG! Too bad there's no video. When did they ditch that AWFUL ORGAN music??? (soaps in general, I mean).

Just now, Hibi said:

OMG! Too bad there's no video. When did they ditch that AWFUL ORGAN music??? (soaps in general, I mean).

not sure when, but i recently read ANOTHER WORLD was the first soap to ditch live organ sometime in the early 70s (?)

i think the organ was meant to simulate the "radio experience" which was how people had been entertained in their homes before TV came along and chnaged the game.

7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I was actually "on the loose" in the NBC BURBANK STUDIOS one day and I TRIED LIKE HELL to find the DAYS set. Couldn't though. The set-up is LABRYNTHINE.

(I did find "Salem Place"- which was their exterior town square set.)

LOL. Funny!

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

not sure when, but i recently read ANOTHER WORLD was the first soap to ditch live organ sometime in the early 70s (?)

i think the organ was meant to simulate the "radio experience" which was how people had been entertained in their homes before TV came along and chnaged the game.

Yeah, that makes sense. Took them long enough. Is there any music now? I don't even know....

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Do you guys remember when you be watching one of your soaps and some strange person would wander into the living room and you would be like “Harpo who dis woman?” and then all of a sudden the voice of God would come down and say “the role of Paulina Cory is now being played by Judy Evans”...?

I kind of wish that would happen in real life sometimes.

That would be awesome.  Have an annoying person magically swapped out with some hot guy/girl to gawk at. Or if they weren't eye candy, maybe someone with an amazing voice a la Vincent Price or something.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

How about in 1968 when Joan Crawford stepped in for her 24 year old daughter Christina's role on SECRET STORM? Must have been surreal.

I've only seen this scenario played out in Mommie Dearest, but based on my knowledge of Crawford's appearance in the late 50s-through the end of her life, I just cannot fathom how Joan or the show's creators thought that this made any sense at all. 

But perhaps that is the magic of soap operas and Secret Storm

46 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Duh Duh Duhhhhhhhhh! 

Now soap operas seem to be a lot of orchestral music with semi poor quality images and everyone photographed with soft filters and lighting. 

Just now, speedracer5 said:

I've only seen this scenario played out in Mommie Dearest, but based on my knowledge of Crawford's appearance in the late 50s-through the end of her life, I just cannot fathom how Joan or the show's creators thought that this made any sense at all. 

Joan had been treading whiskey for long enough that what "made sense" to her was relative at best, and the producers of a little NYC daytime drama were THRILLED TO PIECES to have a NAME like CRAWFORD "filling in" because they KNEW it would get PUBLICITAY.

And, for the record, THE ONLY REASON I KNOW OF THE SECRET STORM is because of JOAN'S CONNECTION TO IT.

(No offense, SECRET STORM fans)

• Like 1

Duh Duh Duhhhhhhhhh! 

Now soap operas seem to be a lot of orchestral music with semi poor quality images and everyone photographed with soft filters and lighting. 

in the 80s and 90s it was synthesizer music- they actually gave emmys for music composition for daytime dramas. I enjoyed THE CARL HUTCHINS THEME from ANOTHER WORLD especially.

• Like 1

Due to the actors being at each other's throats this week, the part of Luke and Laura will be played by Luke Perry and Jennie Garth.

Susan Lucci is on vacation this week. The part of Erica Kane Martin Brent Cudahy Chandler Roy Montgomery Marick will be played by Elizabeth Taylor.

Yes, I looked up all of Erica Kane's married names. Lol. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Joan had been treading whiskey for long enough that what "made sense" to her was relative at best, and the producers of a little NYC daytime drama were THRILLED TO PIECES to have a NAME like CRAWFORD "filling in" because they KNEW it would get PUBLICITAY.

And, for the record, THE ONLY REASON I KNOW OF THE SECRET STORM is because of JOAN'S CONNECTION TO IT.

That is the only reason I know about it too. I definitely wasn't watching Secret Storm in 1968. I only even learned that the show existed from watching Mommie Dearest

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Due to the actors being at each other's throats this week, the part of Luke and Laura will be played by Luke Perry and Jennie Garth.

the story I heard is that Laura was being spoonfed cocaine by someone behind the scenes...

(seriously)

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the story I heard is that Laura was being spoonfed cocaine by someone behind the scenes...

(seriously)

ugh. That's too bad.

My scenario of Jennie Garth replacing her works perfectly. In Season 6 (I think) of 90210, Kelly develops a cocaine addiction. 

38 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

They thought it would make good publicity/ratings stunt. I've read Joan was hard to work with (i.e. sloshed) during the tapings....

42 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I remember the intro with the crashing waves. (it came on after school). Similar to Dark Shadows. That's about all. They still had announcers back then saying the soaps name in the beginning. Unsure when they dropped that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Susan Lucci is on vacation this week. The part of Erica Kane Martin Brent Cudahy Chandler Roy Montgomery Marick will be played by Elizabeth Taylor.

Yes, I looked up all of Erica Kane's married names. Lol. 

Didnt Liz do a cameo appearance on one soap?? I think it was General Hospital.....

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Didnt Liz do a cameo appearance on one soap?? I think it was General Hospital.....

IMDb has her appearing in General Hospital and All My Children.

9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

They thought it would make good publicity/ratings stunt. I've read Joan was hard to work with (i.e. sloshed) during the tapings....

I read that Joan was sloshed during The Best of Everything as well.  Maybe by that point, being drunk was just Joan's normal state. She had vodka running through her veins.

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I wasn't sure. I just picked Liz because she was married so many times. Zsa Zsa would also be a good Erica Kane replacement--she'd bring an exotic element too.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I remember the intro with the crashing waves. (it came on after school). Similar to Dark Shadows. That's about all. They still had announcers back then saying the soaps name in the beginning. Unsure when they dropped that.

Is Days of Our Lives the only show that still says the name of the show? 

"Like sands through an hourglass, these are the Days of Our Lives."

I really never watched any day time soaps, the hourglass of 'Days' is about as far as I got.

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

I read that Joan was sloshed during The Best of Everything as well.  Maybe by that point, being drunk was just Joan's normal state. She had vodka running through her veins.

Yes, sadly so.

Is Days of Our Lives the only show that still says the name of the show? 

"Like sands through an hourglass, these are the Days of Our Lives."

I really never watched any day time soaps, the hourglass of 'Days' is about as far as I got.

I don't know, but they've had that same intro since it started!

• Like 1

I looked up some info on the Secret Storm. It was on 20 years! Didn't realize it was on that long. It started out as a 15 min soap, like Search for Tomorrow and Guiding Light (I still remember those). Fell victim to some big market affiliates dropping the show.....

How long did radio versions of soap operas last? Were they running a radio version and then transitioned to television? Were both versions running concurrently?

I remember in Gilligan's Island, Ginger and Mary Ann listened to some soap opera on the world's greatest battery operated radio.

And in The Brady Bunch, Alice regularly listened to a radio soap opera while she talked to a friend on the phone. I think they were listening to the show together and talking about it.