Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kingrat

The Soap Opera Thread

Remember this bit of dialogue from Reversal of Fortune?

Sunny von Bulow saying:  "At that moment, my husband was vacationing with his mistress.....The very beautiful soap opera actress Alexandra Isles.  Oh, God!...

Mrs. Isles, a divorcee, was the daughter of an old friend, Count Billy Botsky.....

Alexandra later testified that Claus showed her a legal analysis of my will.

Even Alexandra Isles testified against him."

(Alexandra was played very briefly by Julie Hagerty.)

• Thanks 1

only tangentially related but...

SUSPIRIA has not shown up in my HULU feed, but I caught some of NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS this morning; I don't think I have ever watched it in one continuous viewing, but I think I have by now seen all of it in bits and pieces. 

Damn, it's BAD.

Didn't Dan Curtis have the Orson Welles type problem of the studio telling him to cut the running time of the damn thing or we'll do it?  I forget whether he did it or someone else did.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

only tangentially related but...

SUSPIRIA has not shown up in my HULU feed, but I caught some of NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS this morning; I don't think I have ever watched it in one continuous viewing, but I think I have by now seen all of it in bits and pieces. 

Damn, it's BAD.

LOL! It had a quick playoff.....

51 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Remember this bit of dialogue from Reversal of Fortune?

Sunny von Bulow saying:  "At that moment, my husband was vacationing with his mistress.....The very beautiful soap opera actress Alexandra Isles.  Oh, God!...

Mrs. Isles, a divorcee, was the daughter of an old friend, Count Billy Botsky.....

Alexandra later testified that Claus showed her a legal analysis of my will.

Even Alexandra Isles testified against him."

(Alexandra was played very briefly by Julie Hagerty.)

Yeah, Alexandra testified TWICE (in both trials). Is von Bulow still alive? I hope he rots in hell. He was  guilty. We have Dershowitz to thank for that......

I never got the Isles part. Was that her married name? She kept it after the divorce?  (I assume she was divorced when she was playing mistress)...

• Thanks 1

Isles is her married name and she must have kept it for awhile maybe because of her son.

Don't know what she goes by now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, Alexandra testified TWICE (in both trials). Is von Bulow still alive? I hope he rots in hell. He was  guilty. We have Dershowitz to thank for that......

I never got the Isles part. Was that her married name? She kept it after the divorce?  (I assume she was divorced when she was playing mistress)...

I’m pretty sure Claus Van Bulow died, fairly recently I believe. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Didn't Dan Curtis have the Orson Welles type problem of the studio telling him to cut the running time of the damn thing or we'll do it?  I forget whether he did it or someone else did.

I WANT TO SAY that SAM HALL- the head(?)writer of DARK SHADOWS and the husband of GRAYSON HALL (DR JULIA HOFFMAN) did an interview where he went into detail about why NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS is SUCH A MESS.

Personally, the biggest problem is that it seems to have been edited by someone suffering from a crippling case of Attention Deficit Disorder.

it's really not so much a film as it is a collection of moving images contained within an hour and twenty minutes or so. in fact, during the final scenes where the protagonists somewhat inexplicably return to the HOUSE OF THE DAMNED "to pick up his canvasses," i amused myself by saying "MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE" over the long, disjointed scenes of the car traveling up the endless country drive.

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I’m pretty sure Claus Van Bulow died, fairly recently I believe. 

GOOD!!!!!

• Thanks 1

**I will say that NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS does have SOME WONDERFUL SHOTS (inside and out) of THE LYNDHURST ESTATE (including the swimming pool and the MASSIVE glass greenhouse, which it seems that the owners allowed the people making the movie to damage!)

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

I WANT TO SAY that SAM HALL- the head(?)writer of DARK SHADOWS and the husband of GRAYSON HALL (DR JULIA HOFFMAN) did an interview where he went into detail about why NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS is SUCH A MESS.

Personally, the biggest problem is that it seems to have been edited by someone suffering from a crippling case of Attention Deficit Disorder.

it's really not so much a film as it is a collection of moving images contained within an hour and twenty minutes or so. in fact, during the final scenes where the protagonists somewhat inexplicably return to the HOUSE OF THE DAMNED "to pick up his canvasses," i amused myself by saying "MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE" over the long, disjointed scenes of the car traveling up the endless country drive.

LOL! Didnt think anything compared to MANOS. Now there was a BAD movie! MST rescued it from oblivion! I don't even remember it playing in theaters, but maybe it played  few......

So that's how Grayson Hall got on the show! Never made the connection.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

**I will say that NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS does have SOME WONDERFUL SHOTS (inside and out) of THE LYNDHURST ESTATE (including the swimming pool and the MASSIVE glass greenhouse, which it seems that the owners allowed the people making the movie to damage!)

LOL. I'll look for that if I ever see the film.

10 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I'll look for that if I ever see the film.

...the shots of THE LYNDHURST ESTATE and grounds are pretty much the only reason to see it.

well, DAVID SELBY was FINE AS HELL...

And KATE JACKSON was GORGEOUS! although I bet she got a lifelong eyeinfection from the scene where she almost drowns in the FUNKYASSED MOLLASSES SWAMP LOOKING SWIMMING POOL.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've always thought that this was even made just as a way to showcase Selby and Jackson and provide both with a fancy audition tape for Prime Time TV Executives.

Well, it worked, didn't it?

2 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Yeah, I've always thought that this was even made just as a way to showcase Selby and Jackson and provide both with a fancy audition tape for Prime Time TV Executives.

Well, it worked, didn't it?

DAMN STRAIGHT.

515mBd7o9uL.jpg

THAT JAWLINE!

(he kept giving me a GALE HAROLD (aka BRIAN from Q ue eer as Folk) vibe....)

25 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DAMN STRAIGHT.

515mBd7o9uL.jpg

THAT JAWLINE!

(he kept giving me a GALE HAROLD (aka BRIAN from Q ue eer as Folk) vibe....)

He still looks good! He appeared at the 50th anniversary Dark Shadows event a few years back.

19 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Dark Shadows actors frequently gave good Jaw.

937-dark-shadows-jeb-slayer.jpg.8c34cf5607275ee511ca72d39492ef7e.jpg

LOL. Who was that? The face looks familiar.....

UGH. Don't remind me of that one. That's when I started losing interest in the show......

On 10/3/2019 at 6:45 AM, Hibi said:

But he was in the past in the first past arc (Barnabas) as Nathan Forbes. I guess he must've left when they returned to the future. I know he appeared in several soaps after that. Never thought he was much of an actor.

IIRC, in the Nicholas Blair storyline Joe Haskell was bitten by Angelique and he was taken off to a sanitarium, and that was the last we heard of him. That was before the Quentin storyline began.

30 minutes ago, kingrat said:

IIRC, in the Nicholas Blair storyline Joe Haskell was bitten by Angelique and he was taken off to a sanitarium, and that was the last we heard of him. That was before the Quentin storyline began.

Isn't it always a little funny when someone new enters and becomes a central part of the show until the story or actor proves unpopular with viewers and then it's like "oh, him? Yeah he died. Whatever."

same thing happened with the character of PEARL the CHAUFFER on SANTA BARBARA (the character was a man), they brought him in when the show was taking off as comic relief and WOW WAS HE HORRIBLE! I can only imagine he was the cocaine hookup for the cast and crew. he was an (unfortunate) huge part of the show and then he just vanished and was thankfully never mentioned again.

tangentially- SANTA BARBARA also takes the award for THE WORST SINGLE RECASTING OF A ROLE IN SOAP OPERA HISTORY with KEITH TIMMONS #2, I can try and dig up the clips if anyone is interested.

he lasted ten days.