Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kingrat

The Soap Opera Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Didn't Dan Curtis have the Orson Welles type problem of the studio telling him to cut the running time of the damn thing or we'll do it?  I forget whether he did it or someone else did.

It was his MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS only with an undead witch and murderous, r apist ghosts.

"Hot and cold running water up and down and...hey, what the HELL do you think you're DOING are you possessed or some ****???!!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maggie Evans was driven to the nut house in her last appearance.  Yes, literally driven.

Maggie:  If we don't turn back now, I have the feeling that I'll never see Collinwood again or any of the people I love.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Didn't Dan Curtis have the Orson Welles type problem of the studio telling him to cut the running time of the damn thing or we'll do it?  I forget whether he did it or someone else did.

Supposedly I've heard that about 20-30 minutes were cut out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Supposedly I've heard that about 20-30 minutes were cut out of it.

from wiki:

Production

After the success of House of Dark Shadows (the 1970 feature film version of Dan Curtis's gothic soap opera Dark Shadows), MGM was ready to back a follow-up film in 1971. Curtis originally wanted to do a direct sequel and revive the vampire Barnabas Collins. Actor Jonathan Frid, however, refused to play the role again for fear of being typecast. Realizing it would be a mistake to recast the popular character, Curtis worked with writer Sam Hall to concoct an all-new storyline.

On March 29, 1971, filming began on Curse of Dark Shadows, later retitled Night of Dark Shadows for its release. Without the headaches of producing the television series concurrently, the production crew was able to achieve a far more polished product than that of the previous year. In order to give the production some authenticity, spiritualist Hans Holzer was employed as an advisor to the production, though his actual contribution to the finished product proved minimal.

The story was very loosely based on the "parallel-time" sequence of the TV series and centered on the show's other popular male lead, Quentin Collins, played by David Selby. Night of Dark Shadows was shot in six weeks on a budget of $900,000 and released in 1971, after the show had left the air. It was not unsuccessful but was less successful than its predecessor.

Hall's script, developed in conjunction with Curtis, was a wistful tale of gothic romance and supernatural reincarnation, bolstered by credible performances from David Selby, Kate Jackson, and Grayson Hall. When filming completed without major problems, Curtis set about editing the final film, which proved far denser and more complex than House of Dark Shadows.

One reason often cited for the film's lack of performance is that MGM forced Curtis to cut over 35 minutes from his finished film, and gave him only 24 hours to do the job. Thus, the film went from approximately 129 minutes to about 94 minutes, which, according to some, caused the film to lose its coherence. (NOTE: I am one of those "some people"- LHF)

Much of the excised footage was recovered in 1999, but was without sound. This material consists of 16 never-before-seen sequences, extending over a dozen existing scenes, reinstating the darker mood and restoring the original structure and continuity. Highlights of the discovery include flashback between the doomed lovers Charles and Angelique, two new scenes featuring menacing groundskeeper Gerard Stiles, several romant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

from wiki:

Production

After the success of House of Dark Shadows (the 1970 feature film version of Dan Curtis's gothic soap opera Dark Shadows), MGM was ready to back a follow-up film in 1971. Curtis originally wanted to do a direct sequel and revive the vampire Barnabas Collins. Actor Jonathan Frid, however, refused to play the role again for fear of being typecast. Realizing it would be a mistake to recast the popular character, Curtis worked with writer Sam Hall to concoct an all-new storyline.

On March 29, 1971, filming began on Curse of Dark Shadows, later retitled Night of Dark Shadows for its release. Without the headaches of producing the television series concurrently, the production crew was able to achieve a far more polished product than that of the previous year. In order to give the production some authenticity, spiritualist Hans Holzer was employed as an advisor to the production, though his actual contribution to the finished product proved minimal.

The story was very loosely based on the "parallel-time" sequence of the TV series and centered on the show's other popular male lead, Quentin Collins, played by David Selby. Night of Dark Shadows was shot in six weeks on a budget of $900,000 and released in 1971, after the show had left the air. It was not unsuccessful but was less successful than its predecessor.

Hall's script, developed in conjunction with Curtis, was a wistful tale of gothic romance and supernatural reincarnation, bolstered by credible performances from David Selby, Kate Jackson, and Grayson Hall. When filming completed without major problems, Curtis set about editing the final film, which proved far denser and more complex than House of Dark Shadows.

One reason often cited for the film's lack of performance is that MGM forced Curtis to cut over 35 minutes from his finished film, and gave him only 24 hours to do the job. Thus, the film went from approximately 129 minutes to about 94 minutes, which, according to some, caused the film to lose its coherence. (NOTE: I am one of those "some people"- LHF)

Much of the excised footage was recovered in 1999, but was without sound. This material consists of 16 never-before-seen sequences, extending over a dozen existing scenes, reinstating the darker mood and restoring the original structure and continuity. Highlights of the discovery include flashback between the doomed lovers Charles and Angelique, two new scenes featuring menacing groundskeeper Gerard Stiles, several romant

They should try and restore it a lot of the cast are still around to provide voice. David Selby, Kate Jackson
Lara Parker, John Karlen, Nancy Barrett, Jim Storm, Christopher Pennock, 

Not sure about Diana Millay, or Monica Rich.

Of course Grayson Hall and Thayer David would need voice doubles.

I'd buy it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Of course Grayson Hall and Thayer David would need voice doubles.

 

anyone who speaks through a tracheotomy should be able to approximate GRAYSON's voice.

(I KID! Actually, I LOVE GRAYSON HALL and JULIA HOFFMAN was always my favorite character, i'm thinking she was a heavy smoker though, she had that growlly Ewok thing with her voice)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do any of you remember when DR. HOFFMAN got that SUPER BUTCH HAIRCUT THO???

(SOAP OPERA HAIR could be a thread of its own)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming there have been PhD theses written about gay subtext in Dark Shadows, right?

I mean, there was same gender neck biting at various times?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

I'm assuming there have been PhD theses written about gay subtext in Dark Shadows, right?

I mean, there was same gender neck biting at various times?

I've never read the PhD theses--thank goodness--but there was indeed same sex neck-biting. I would mention one, but there are people watching the series unfold, so I'll let them discover it for themselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

without DARK SHADOWS, there would have been no CAMILLE PAGLIA.

Who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

I'm assuming there have been PhD theses written about gay subtext in Dark Shadows, right?

I mean, there was same gender neck biting at various times?

No not really, I think remember Willie Loomis getting bit on the hand. lol

But... on the other hand  Roxanne Drew may have bitten same gender neck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Who?

SHE'S A HOOT!

from wiki: Camille Anna Paglia (/ˈpɑːliə/; born April 2, 1947) is an American feminist academic and social critic. Paglia has been a professor at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, since 1984.[1] She is critical of many aspects of modern culture,[2][3] and is the author of Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson (1990) and other books. She is also a critic of contemporary American feminism and of post-structuralism as well as a commentator on multiple aspects of American culture such as its visual art, music, and film history.

she can go on a NUTTY TANGENT about sexual subtext to ANYthing FOR PAGES AND PAGES, AND SHE TAKES IT ALL VERRRRY SERIOUSLY

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although, now that I think about it "without DARK SHADOWS there would have been no ANNE RICE" is likely A LOT MORE ON THE MONEY

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry to keep hijacking this thread and making it all about ANOTHER WORLD, but i ordered THE ULTIMATE ANOTHER WORLD TRIVIA BOOK off of amazon last week and it arrived yesterday afternoon and i sat down and made MAD PASSIONATE LOVE TO IT. It's written by the same guy who wrote THE ULTIMATE DAYS OF OUR LIVES TRIVIA BOOK- which is so gossipy!!!!- that I was expecting much of the same...alas it seems as if AW was mostly a pretty congenial set- save for actor GEORGE REINHOLT who played STEVE FRAME. There is section dedicated to what an asssss he was- belittling other actors, ruining rehearsals and being a smack-talker- it got to where no one wanted to share a scene with him and he was fired- which actually caused the show to dip in popularity, but made for a much happier set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the What Are You Watching Now thread, I mentioned I was watching episodes of Emmerdale. And Spence asked me what Emmerdale was. 

Emmerdale is a British soap that airs six to seven times a week. It's been in production since 1972.

Outdoor scenes are filmed on location in the beautiful Yorkshire dales.

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 7.26.39 AM.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmerdale

Last year Emmerdale did the unthinkable and killed off a whole family in one fell swoop. The White family had been very popular, but they were destined to meet a tragic end. The stunt work for the crash indicates how much of a budget this show has.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

 save for actor GEORGE REINHOLT who played STEVE FRAME. There is section dedicated to what an asssss he was- belittling other actors, ruining rehearsals and being a smack-talker- it got to where no one wanted to share a scene with him and he was fired- which actually caused the show to dip in popularity, but made for a much happier set.

He's the one who became an escort, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

He's the one who became an escort, right?

I DO NOT KNOW, BUT I SURE AS HELL WANT TO NOW!!!!!

(off to google...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ooookY, Just back from his Wikipedia page. Apparently he took an ad out in the paper offering to take women to parties and such (uh huh) and it was “taken the wrong way “much like Dorothy’s, “will do any job,  no price too low” ad That Rose mistakenly submitted to the personals section of the newspaper and not the “help wanteds”.

He went on Sally Jessy Raphael to “correct the record”, surely wondering the entire time where his life is gone so horribly wrong.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ooookY, Just back from his Wikipedia page. Apparently he took an ad out in the paper offering to take women to parties and such (uh huh) and it was “taken the wrong way “much like Dorothy’s, “will do any job,  no price too low” ad That Rose mistakenly submitted to the personals section of the newspaper and not the “help wanteds”.

He went on Sally Jessy Raphael to “correct the record”, surely wondering the entire time where his life is gone so horribly wrong.

Wasn't Dorothy's asking price something like $8/hr ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Wasn't Dorothy's asking price something like $8/hr ?

Yup.

And that one dude was like “Make it $4.00 and we got a deal.”

And then the bus load of Greek sailors pulls up.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ooookY, Just back from his Wikipedia page. Apparently he took an ad out in the paper offering to take women to parties and such (uh huh) and it was “taken the wrong way “much like Dorothy’s, “will do any job,  no price too low” ad That Rose mistakenly submitted to the personals section of the newspaper and not the “help wanteds”.

He went on Sally Jessy Raphael to “correct the record”, surely wondering the entire time where his life is gone so horribly wrong.

George Reinholt's appearance on Sally Jessy Raphael's show can be found on YouTube. Reinholt had problems with Harding Lemay, headwriter from 1971-1979, I think. Some AW viewers consider the Lemay years the high point of the show, but to me it was much more mixed. You might be able to find Lemay's Eight Years in Another World at a public library or through interlibrary loan; it's now out of print and very expensive to buy on Amazon or ABE.

I will write more extensively about this, but this is the short version. George Reinholt and Jacquie Courtney were probably the most popular couple on the soaps. Lemay didn't really respect their work because they didn't have theater backgrounds. When Victoria Wyndham joined the show as the new Rachel, Lemay put the triangle at the center of a very popular story. AW was the first show to go to 60 minutes, and many of the scenes about this time (for all the actors) were padded and badly written because the writing hadn't adjusted to the new format. Reinholt complained loudly about this. He eventually became so disruptive that Lemay and Paul Rauch, the executive producer, fired him.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...