Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

Even if you already hate him, or don't, what did Woody Allen do so wrong?

I keep picking up bits & pieces on the newest allegations involving "The Woodman" Woody Allen-Allan Stewart Konigsberg (l935-) & what in the..... happened so damn awful this time, is it again according to Mia Farrow?

They act as though he's either Hannibal Lechter of Hopper's Frank booth in Blue Velvet.

Will people finally break it down, not the Soon Yi Previn thig from early '90's-(of whom they stayed together ever since)

But the latest jazz that he's constantly in court with vs Netflix, I know of his latest work & it's said to be lousy to begin with, but what started it  Always really liked Mia to, but saw another side of her back around 1992 & picking away immediately at him about everything & now this & in between she attempted & EVERYWHERE to say her son Ronan Farrow was the illegitimate son of *The Chairman of the Board: Sinatra  Even getting him a gig on MSNBC for awhile, just punch his name in & pix of Ronan & *FS will be matched everywhere, he woulda been born around 1977/78 if so  Personally & like I said always truly liked her, anted more $$$ She's unfairly never been nommed & should have at least 2-3 times Danny Rise, Radio Days & Alice. Most reading this probably know she & Frank were briefly married late '60's & *Frank wanted  her for either Tony Rome or Lay in Cement-(Jill St. John got it instead) she was shooting-(at the infamous Dakota arms in NYC) Rosemary's Baby, well, she said no  He was more than furious & to her stunned surprise vey next da his lawyer showed up at the Dakota with divorce papers in hand, all was already signed by him al she had to do was sign her part & way they went, staying pals until his demise in '98 though  Mia still says she thought he might do it, but not that fast. A funny & typical *FS story was kinda well known around '92/93 when *Woody ran off with Previn *Sinatra offered Farrow if she wanted little Woody's legs broken,etc  Sounded like a scene out of his own Danny Rose No, he's not a Wiseguy, right

But please clarify newest charges on *The Woodman

(TRIVIA: What are the among of Academy Awards and Noms he's won so far?)

How many actors, actresses did he hem to win?

His biggest $hit$?

THANX AGAIN

Spence, I don’t care what these people do in their private life as I am judging them by their work on screen. If this was the case I wouldn’t be one of the biggest William Haines and Ramon Novarro fans out there. My problem with Woody is he just isn’t funny in my opinion. He literally bring Catskills old Jewish Jackie Vernon humor to his motion pictures. At a time in the 60’s when Lenny Bruce was pushing the envelope of comedy Woody was perfecting his lame Jewish nerd comedy which quite frankly I never got until Jerry Seinfeld perfected it in the 80’s.

• Like 1

The one thing that is proven is that he had an affair with and then married his own stepdaughter. She wasn't a minor at the time it started - Soon-Yi Previn was 20 - but it is rather hideous to think of a man taking a kid to the zoo in 1980 as a father figure and then bedding her eleven years later. Mia Farrow and Woody were never married, so he was never officially her stepdad, but in every other sense of the word he was.

• Thanks 1

I don't see how Allen doesn't win his lawsuit;    Netflix is in breech of contract.    They canceled the deal because of Allen's 'history',  BUT,  they clearly knew of said 'history' when they signed the contract,,  and thus they will have to pay up.     The interesting (and ironic)  thing in this case is that for Allen to win he has to proof that his negative 'history' was known to Netflix, as well as publicly available,  at the time the contract was being negotiated.   I.e. Allen's lawyers have to re-expose the dirt on Allen (regardless of how factual),  to win the case.

• Thanks 1

Woody Allen has made some good movies, at least a half-dozen.

And he keeps on making them over and over again.

But after spending  three decades in psychoanalysis, I can understand why his work has become so repetitive.

• Like 1

His personal life doesn't matter to me. On another note, this film has to be his most underrated. I really like it. :)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, vidorisking said:

Spence, I don’t care what these people do in their private life as I am judging them by their work on screen. If this was the case I wouldn’t be one of the biggest William Haines and Ramon Novarro fans out there. My problem with Woody is he just isn’t funny in my opinion. He literally bring Catskills old Jewish Jackie Vernon humor to his motion pictures. At a time in the 60’s when Lenny Bruce was pushing the envelope of comedy Woody was perfecting his lame Jewish nerd comedy which quite frankly I never got until Jerry Seinfeld perfected it in the 80’s.

For me this thing is like some mystical art from some far-away land, and I would say that is one of Allen's strong points.  That is besides the point that there are a number of Russian Jews and storefront businesses owned by people of that heritage around town here, if you overlook the blocks and blocks of homogenized chain stores.  And they act nothing like that.

He did go to the NYC intellectuals with romance problems well a few times too often,

but that's a minor complaint. And it would have been a neat injoke for him to put

an umlaut over the o, but no one's perfect. 

6 hours ago, vidorisking said:

thanx

3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

His personal life doesn't matter to me. On another note, this film has to be his most underrated. I really like it. :)

made $13m

In answer to my 3 Woody trivia bits  His biggest hit to date is Midnight in Paris (&71m.)

He directed 7 to win an Academy Award to date

& he's been up for an Oscar as Best director 7 times so far, winning once for *Annie Hall

& won 3 writing statuettes td

My own Essential woody cinema so far: (NOTE: Obviously his peak was the '80's though)>

1. *Annie Hall

2. Manhattan

3. Hannah and Her Sisters and Crimes and Misdemeanors-(his one is brilliant & his own fav.)

4. Broadway Danny Rose

5. The Purple Rose of Cairo

(Honorable mention) Play It Again, Sam-(maybe his finest work as an actor due to him not writing or directing it)

And his BD shots to date at almost 84:

*1977 Annie Hall (won)

1978 Interiors

1984 Danny Rose

1986 Hannah and ….(TRIVIA: He demanded the AMPAS remove his name from the ballot this yr because Blue Velvet was far superior)

'89 Crimes and Misdemeanors

1994 Bullets 0ver Briadway

& 2011's Midnight in Paris

EVEN IF YOU ALREADY HATE HIM, OR DON'T, WHAT DID WOODY ALLEN DO SO WRONG?

Simple answer, he out lived the zeitgeist of his era. It was a time of "if it feels good do it" if it doesn't physically hurt anybody else. It must have floated their boats. You got to remember we live in America and we are guaranteed life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (within the law).  

We do have too many pontificate-ers bloviating about whats wrong, what right, what's not PC what is PC, it gets kind of ridiculous. You want to yell S*T*F*U!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

EVEN IF YOU ALREADY HATE HIM, OR DON'T, WHAT DID WOODY ALLEN DO SO WRONG?

Simple answer, he out lived the zeitgeist of his era. It was a time of "if it feels good do it" if it doesn't physically hurt anybody else. It must have floated their boats. You got to remember we live in America and we are guaranteed life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (within the law).  

We do have too many pontificate-ers bloviating about whats wrong, what right, what's not PC what is PC, it gets kind of ridiculous. You want to yell S*T*F*U!

but I still don't understand the latest incident allegedly, it stopped his latest release as well

7 hours ago, vidorisking said:

I agree, but they act as though nowadays like he's john Dillinger and still can't find the reason?

14 hours ago, spence said:

I still don't understand the latest incident allegedly, it stopped his latest release as well

News to me. I don't keep up with Variety, or any show biz entertainment tonight type stuff. There is plenty of stuff out there to find and watch. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I'm interested in what the local pigeons think about him. ;)

closeup-rock-pigeon-pooping-on-260nw-144

probably a lot, especially the one's in central park   that reminds me his actual higehst grosser was '98's Antz ($91m.) were he did the main voice

13 hours ago, calvinnme said:

married his own stepdaughter.

This incorrect piece of information has been repeated hundreds of times. Soon-Yi was NOT Woody's stepdaugheter, as she was the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow and Andre Previn, and Mia and Woody never married. Both Woody and Soon-Yi have said they barely knew each other until shortly before they became romantic, and Soon-Yi has said she never considered Woody any kind of father figure.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

This incorrect piece of information has been repeated hundreds of times. Soon-Yi was NOT Woody's stepdaugheter, as she was the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow and Andre Previn, and Mia and Woody never married.

This may be true, but it still crosses the line of "improper behaviour" as far as I'm concerned. Any 50 year old person intimately involved with a 15 year old person is sick. Woody can be a mean, controlling dick on his film set, but how he conducts himself on the job is his business. If the staff doesn't like it, they can leave-he's only controlling their salary.

When those same controlling qualities spill over to an intimate relationship with a child, it's predatory behaviour -a mature adult should know better. Anyone in show business knows the price of negative publicity and the fact Woody did not control & overcome his compulsion shows he is a sick man. He has no shame.

While I still love many of his movies, I will not contribute to his success/wealth by spending money on him. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

intimately involved with a 15 year old person is sick.

This is also erroneous. People just throw out these numbers. By all accounts I've ever read, Woody and Soon-Yi began a romantic relationship when he was 56 and she was 22.

I'm not saying their relationship isn't WEIRD, but I've heard dozens of different people get the nature of their familial relationship (there was none) and her age at the time dramatically wrong, because a snippet of something they heard somewhere one time and automatically assuming it to be true without looking into it.

• Thanks 1

Dylan Farrow, Woody's adopted daughter claimed, at the time and now that she's grown up, that Woody Allen molested her.

https://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/an-open-letter-from-dylan-farrow/

She sounds credible to me.  Now, his new movie starring Jude Law is about a man who has an affair with a fifteen year-old.  Which sort of seems like Allen thumbing his nose at his critics and believing his fans will forgive anything.

I agree with ignoring the private life of actors, directors and producers up to a point.  I don't care if they have affairs or don't bathe on the weekends, but I draw the line at pedophiles and would feel complicit if I spent my money to make them richer.

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Woody Allen has made some good movies, at least a half-dozen.

And he keeps on making them over and over again.

But after spending  three decades in psychoanalysis, I can understand why his work has become so repetitive.

I count at least 15 that are exceptional movies, and handful more that are good. His movies overall may have thematic similarities but he did not make the same movie "over and over again." An careless exaggeration IMO. Even if he did (hypothetically) the actors are different and the same cleverness would be there. That would make them watchable (for me). He is a genius (despite all the psychoanalysis, lol).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1