Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

Even if you already hate him, or don't, what did Woody Allen do so wrong?

1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

Wow, that's really a bit edgy. :lol: Good for him though for cutting ties with Woody Allen if he dislikes him so much. 

You got it Satchell, after one of Woody;s heroes   His lifelong idol by far though is still Bob Hope

6 hours ago, Feego said:

Let's not forget there was a nearly 30-year age gap between Mia Farrow and Frank Sinatra.

I really have no stake in this matter insofar as how I determine whether to watch films with either Allen or Farrow's involvement.  Like speedracer5, I prefer to leave someone's personal life out of the equation when judging their artistic work.  To draw a parallel to a case closer to what Woody Allen has been accused of, Gloria Grahame did in fact marry her former stepson.  Her fourth husband was Tony Ray, son of Nicholas Ray whom she divorced a mere 8 years earlier.  None of us will probably ever know what truly happened in the Allen-Farrow case.  Like LawrenceA, I do believe that Dylan Farrow believes she was a victim of sexual assault, and I genuinely feel sorry for her.  If it really happened, that's awful.  If her mother coached her, that's also awful.  She is a victim of someone, perhaps even of both parties to some degree.  I have no desire to boycott either Farrow or Allen's work, but the beauty of it all is that it's our individual prerogative to do so if we choose.

I separate the two, even watch O.J. was he's own

On 9/29/2019 at 11:48 AM, cigarjoe said:

United States  

Age of consent by state (and remember life spans were shorter in 1880)

Year ---- 1880/1920/2007

Alabama    10    16    16
Alaska    -    16    16
Arizona    12    18    18
Arkansas    10    16    16
California    10    18    18
Colorado    10    18    15
Connecticut    10    16    16
District of Columbia    12    16    16
Delaware    7    16    16
Florida    10    18    18
Georgia    10    14    16
Hawaii    -    -    16
Idaho    10    18    18
Illinois    10    16    17
Indiana    12    16    16
Iowa    10    16    16
Kansas    10    18    16
Kentucky    12    16    16
Louisiana    12    18    17
Maine    10    16    16
Maryland    10    16    16
Massachusetts    10    16    16
Michigan    10    16    16
Minnesota    10    18    16
Mississippi    10    18    16
Missouri    12    18    17
Montana    10    18    16
Nebraska    10    18    17
Nevada    12    18    16
New Hampshire    10    16    16
New Jersey    10    16    16
New Mexico    10    16    17
New York    10    18    17
North Carolina    10    16    16
North Dakota    10    18    18
Ohio    10    16    16
Oklahoma    -    -    16
Oregon    10    16    18
Pennsylvania    10    16    16
Rhode Island    10    16    16
South Carolina    10    16    16
South Dakota    10    18    16
Tennessee    10    18    18
Texas    10    18    17
Utah    10    18    16
Vermont    10    16    16
Virginia    12    16    18
Washington    12    18    16
West Virginia    12    16    16
Wisconsin    10    16    18
Wyoming    10    16    16

man, cigarjoe, you really did your homework  4 stars!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Really?! Gee, I wonder why?

Wait, could it MAYBE be because....

maxresdefault.jpg

(...yeeeah sure...Ronan is really the nerdy one on the right here's biological kid, alright...yeeeeah, suuuuure he is) ;)

seen this one a lot, but it's marvelous anyway   he's already onto something else after he was let go by MSNBC of all places   Doing the brief math he's about 32 or so, so *SINATRA woulda been about age 72 when he was hatched  I'd say YOU BET IN *FRANK'S EARLIER YEARS, by then he wasn't as much a womanizer though

Posted (edited)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Woody gives me strong "creep" vibes, but I try to separate him as a man from him as a director/writer, except with "Manhattan" where he's dating a 17 year old. I like to think of that film as fantasy, because I don't know why any 17 year old girl would date Woody... but maybe that's just me. 

Edited by NickAndNora34
because i thought my previous wording was too mean

Just now, NickAndNora34 said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Woody gives me strong "creep" vibes, but I try to separate him as a man from him as a director/writer, except with "Manhattan" where he's dating a 17 year old. I like to think of that film as fantasy, because I don't know why any self-respecting 17 year old girl would date Woody... but maybe that's just me. 

Nerdy as he's always been, in reality though he's never had a problem finding ladies, I mean of his age

• Like 1

The media had a field day with Charlie Sheen a few yrs back & the gals, besides f course the drugs, now he insists' he has HIV.  But, Charlie can't hold a candle to*Warren Beatty -(l937-) and his women & *Warren didn't have to pay them/hookers either  an example starting in the '50's with Joan Collins-(YUK), Leslie Caron, NATALIE WOOD, *Lee Grant, Goldie Hawn, *Julie Christie-(they were very close), *Diane Keaton-(also almost married her), MADONNA, *Halle Berry, Annette Bening-(it was her he finally got hitched at age 54) & many more   Imagine what it did to *The Woodman's self esteem & ego to have your gal (*Keaton) go off w/*Warren Beatty

By the way I can't take credit for nickname of *THE WOODMAN Bill Murray started it in the '70's on SNL when he'd cover the Oscars

2 hours ago, spence said:

seen this one a lot, but it's marvelous anyway   he's already onto something else after he was let go by MSNBC of all places   Doing the brief math he's about 32 or so, so *SINATRA woulda been about age 72 when he was hatched  I'd say YOU BET IN *FRANK'S EARLIER YEARS, by then he wasn't as much a womanizer though

I truly think Don Rickles is the real father!

• Haha 2

On 9/29/2019 at 12:16 PM, hamradio said:

Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin!

Great Balls Afire!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

But it is not fair to use words like "predatory" when speaking of Woody Allen and Soon Yi. Soon Yi  herself has said many times that she welcomed Allen's attention. And they've been married for many years now.

Also disrespectfully disagree, the word "predatory" is wholly appropriate when there is an imbalance of knowledge & power. Any person manipulating another's confidence (con man) for personal gain is a predator.

This story is really none of our business and we're judging others' behaviour based on media reports & our personal morality. Guess it's the same for watching his movies-some aren't concerned by his personal foibles while others are bothered by it.

10 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Woody gives me strong "creep" vibes, but I try to separate him as a man from him as a director/writer, except with "Manhattan" where he's dating a 17 year old. I like to think of that film as fantasy, because I don't know why any 17 year old girl would date Woody... but maybe that's just me. 

For non celebrities people will call it "robbing the cradle".

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/marriage/teenage-girl-married-to-a-62yearold-man-reveals-theyre-trying-to-have-a-baby/news-story/39b9b75b8cb2a06565367eeda1dd899c

35deec8a6585f4b37d281b276223fe90

12 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

because I don't know why any 17 year old girl would date Woody... but maybe that's just me. 

Probably not.  But didn't you ever wonder....

WHY are some women attracted to some men that you'd think fall FAR out of their league?  And let's look at another factor....

A niece of mine married a guy who was(taking other women's word) very good looking.  That he was a mean drunk who both physically and verbally abused her when drunk, which was 90% of the time, I'd think a much older, homely guy who treated her with respect and loving care would start to look good. If any of you are basing some of your opinions of this on Allen's physical appearance I can only hope you've taught your children a more mature sense of criteria.

And while we're on this age bit, remember-----

My wife was 10 years my senior.  And I wouldn't call her a cougar(how did that ever come about to be used for that sort of thing?) because was the one in pursuit.  ;) 

Sepiatone

10 years and 35 years are two completely different things. I was in a relationship with a woman 5 years older than me but that's not even close to the situation with Allen. He's nearly four decades her senior. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

10 years and 35 years are two completely different things. I was in a relationship with a woman 5 years older than me but that's not even close to the situation with Allen. He's nearly four decades her senior. 

How about...

rs_560x415-140606094332-1024.Kyle-Jones-

dating.png

My apologies if I caused anyone to lose their lunch.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Gotta say THIS sort of relationship would NEVER work for me.

Nope, ya see I've always preferred the people I hang with be able to recognize and understand and hopefully appreciate most if not all of the old cultural references I constantly use while attempting (operative word here of course being "attempting") some witty comment, and really doubt someone THIS young would even be able to grasp even 5 percent of them.

(...I mean, why the hell do you think I hang around with all of YOU old f*rts around here, HUH?!) ;)

LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Nope, ya see I've always preferred the people I hang with be able to recognize and understand and hopefully appreciate most if not all of the old cultural references I constantly use while attempting (operative word here of course being "attempting") some witty comment, and really doubt someone THIS young would even be able to grasp even 5 percent of them.

(...I mean, why the hell do you think I hang around with all of YOU old f*rts around here, HUH?!) ;)

LOL

Judging from that photo, I tend to doubt he cares if she knows who Gary Cooper,etc. was LOL. think of this way, he's probably got lots of friends who would know what he was referring to if he made a comment about an old cultural reference, (that's if some of those old ---- are still alive) LOL but how many "friends" fulfill his other needs ;) Just kidding, he looks like he's pushing 80, ick. I agree with you dargo.

A few years ago, a man about 30 years older than I asked me out, granted he drove a convertible, had a motorcycle and he thought he was cool. Yuck. Guess his money was enough because a woman who was 10 years younger than I was, went for it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Judging from that photo, I tend to doubt he cares if she knows who Gary Cooper,etc. was LOL. think of this way, he's probably got lots of friends who would know what he was referring to if he made a comment about an old cultural reference, (that's if some of those old ---- are still alive) LOL but how many "friends" fulfill his other needs ;) Just kidding, he looks like he's pushing 80, ick. I agree with you dargo.

A few years ago, a man about 30 years older than I asked me out, granted he drove a convertible, had a motorcycle and he thought he was cool. Yuck. Guess his money was enough because a woman who was 10 years younger than I was, went for it.

Wow! Well, OTHER than this guy's age, THAT dude sounds just like ME!!!

(...especially of course that "thought he was cool" thing)

LOL

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Here's the thing about the pedophile allegation, regarding Dylan Farrow (as opposed to the Soon Yi story, which has been disproved.):  Admittedly, I know little about pedophiles, am no expert on the subject, and have no desire to know more about these sick people.

However, I do know this: someone who is a pedophile cannot stop themselves from pursuing their horrible compulsion as much and as often as they possibly can. So aside from the fact that the Dylan Farrow allegations were found to have no basis and were thrown out in a court of law, twice, there is this other point to consider: if Woody Allen were a pedophile, the Dylan Farrow accusation would not be the only one he'd be facing. The fact that no one else, ever, has come forward and claimed that he molested them (and he could easily have pursued children and found a way to do this if he'd wanted) suggests to me that he never did any such thing, nor did he ever desire to do so. If he were like that, there'd be other allegations against him from other people, and there never have been.

While I agree that most pedophiles have a long list of victims, I'm sure they aren't all exactly alike.  Woody's movies are often about men obssessed with  women who are taboo in some way, a sister-in-law, a very young woman, a best friend's girl friend.  If Woody did abuse Dylan it may have been a case of this sort of obssession more than typical pedophilia.

I'm not worried about people like Beethoven.  Dead people can't benefit from my money. With someone alive and well and able to profit from me I just make my own judgment call.  

Here's a few facts that helped sway me against him:https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2014/02/woody-allen-sex-abuse-10-facts

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

I view this differently as it relates to us at this forum:

We are a very select group - lovers of American Studio-era movies.     As been discussed many times at this forum,  most people 'our age' (say over 55),  are NOT part of this group.     How many movies made before they were born have they seen?    I know that the vast majority of folks I meet are NOT into 'old movies'.    

My point being the odds of me meeting someone that was into what I was (studio-era movies,  jazz (especially swing and bop from the 50s)   art (especially impressionism),,,,   hiking,   etc...  are low.

Instead the odds of meeting someone into 'pop' culture (current culture,  things that have occurred after they were born),  are very, very high  (since my guess is that over 80% of folks fall into this category).

Therefore one needs to meet someone willing to grow-with-you.    This is more likely to happen for someone like me with someone focused on 'pop' culture than someone that is really focused (like me),  on 'old stuff' (if their 'old stuff' is different than my 'old stuff',,, say opera).

Of course I lucked out since my wife was Italian and having lived in the USA only a few years wanted to soak up all she could about American culture from ALL eras.    I wanted to learn more about Europe and some of their artistic traditions \ ways.   We both got what we wanted.             

So while that 'kid' would only get 5% of your cultural reference,  I suspect the average person from your age group would only get about 25%,  if that.    That makes you unique and special.

• Like 2

I'm probably not a good example of this as my husband and I are three months apart in age, grew up in the same city and even attended the same high school (he's a year behind me in school however, due to his birthday being in September).  I have known him for 20 years.  Many of our cultural experiences and such are the same and we have many of the same memories about school.

We did however have different childhoods, his unfortunately was not as good as mine.  He also did not grow up with cable, so his exposure to many of the shows of the 90s is more limited than mine. Due to his household environment, he did not grow up watching movies every Friday and all that.  What works in my relationship and what I'd feel like what would work in any relationship regardless of any age, economic, social, etc. differences, is that both parties need to be willing to compromise and be open to attending events, watching films, anything that their partner enjoys.  One of my husband's favorite bands is a Swedish metal band.  It's not my personal favorite, but I've gone to the show 4 times now. I have seen every film in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe), not because I particularly wanted to see them, but because my husband wanted to.  In exchange, he watches movies and shows that I want to see and attends things that I want to see.  He's open to watching classic film and even finds ones that he enjoys.  He even has discussions about classic film with co-workers.

It's all about finding someone you're compatible with and that makes you happy. Some age differences seem awkward, but I suppose if both parties are consenting and happy... then I suppose it's not really any of my business. It's sad when you see a couple of any age where one person wants to be the social butterfly, the other wants to be a homebody.  One half of the couple wants to live lavishly. The other wants frugality. Today, there seems to be such a rush to get married, only to get divorced a month later, because the couple realized, "oh. We don't really like each other." 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

One of my husband's favorite bands is a Swedish metal band.  

Which band? Entombed? In Flames? Amon Amarth? Bathory? Opeth? Meshuggah?

No matter his personal life, he's made me laugh since I was about 18 & I rank among the genuine top ten cinematic Geniuses in movie history-(especially with dialogue)  A word they throw around far to often especially in film

40 minutes ago, spence said:

No matter his personal life, he's made me laugh since I was about 18 & I rank among the genuine top ten cinematic Geniuses in movie history-(especially with dialogue)  A word they throw around far to often especially in film

Where do you stand on Charlie Chaplin being a pedophile?

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Which band? Entombed? In Flames? Amon Amarth? Bathory? Opeth? Meshuggah?

Ghost BC.

I've also heard Opeth and In Flames as well.  I haven't heard of the other bands, but I'm sure he has.

11 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Ghost BC.

I've also heard Opeth and In Flames as well.  I haven't heard of the other bands, but I'm sure he has.

I have a friend that's really into Ghost BC. I've never seen them or heard much by them. They seem like fine fellows, though.

Ghost-Band-2016-e1491472927733.jpg?fit=6

• Like 1