Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

I don’t think they marketed this film very well. My wife is a big Garland fan and was surprised to hear it was “now playing” during a commercial last night. While at the same time we have known about Downton Abbey for months and I would guess there is a lot of crossover in those audiences. It’s a shame as I hear Renee gives quite a good performance. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw one very brief TV commercial for it, nothing else. So it didn't receive much promotion, especially compared to other recent films. It also didn't get wide distribution, as it didn't come to my local theater. The only new movie we got this week was Abominable, which opened on 4242 screens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You mean to say you never saw it advertised? Here's the poster:

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.15.55 PM.jpeg

no, i saw maybe one trailer, that's it. I just wasn't aware of the release date for some reason; it just didn't stick in my brain

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I saw one very brief TV commercial for it, nothing else. So it didn't receive much promotion, especially compared to other recent films. It also didn't get wide distribution, as it didn't come to my local theater. The only new movie we got this week was Abominable, which opened on 4242 screens.

Even if highly promoted,   I still wouldn't have predicted much success at the box office.  I don't think many folks under the age of 60 (or so) care about Judy Garland (e.g. I assume half of these folks don't even know who she is).

In addition the film is NOT a 'fun' one.     Close friends of ours are asking to take the wife and I to see the film (this came up last weekend when they had dinner at our house).   BUT the main reason the topic came up was because I have a Judy Garland photo on the living room wall (one of the stars I have featured on my wall of fame).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not much of Garland fan, so I had no interest in this regardless. If the reviews had been ecstatic, I may have seen it eventually, but it was never something I was going to actively seek out or shell out money for. While the producers wanted to turn a profit, no one expected this to be a huge blockbuster hit, as the appeal would be very limited. Has there been a classic-era biopic that was a box-office hit in the past decade? And Zellweger isn't the most bankable star, either. Judging by the box-office take thus far, this seems like something that would have done better going straight to a streaming service or cable channel.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s my understanding from conversations I was privy to during my time in Hollywood that Zellweger absolutely torched every bridge with some really awful behavior during the height of her fame.

This was definitely a last grasp for relevance on her part, Literally, it was either this or Patsy Cline and Jessica Lange already did Patsy right.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LawrenceA said:

That's a Netflix produced film, and they usually don't get wide theatrical distribution. I can't find a source for the exact number of screens it opened on, though.

I guess they still open those in theaters to qualify for Oscars. But I wonder if the rules on eligibility will gradually change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I guess they still open those in theaters to qualify for Oscars. But I wonder if the rules on eligibility will gradually change.

Didn't the Academy just change the rules about this?    (what qualifies for an Oscar related to how a film is released).

If not yet,  they will have to change.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Didn't the Academy just change the rules about this?    (what qualifies for an Oscar related to how a film is released).

 

Academy votes not to change Oscar eligibility rules for streaming services in major win for Netflix

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voted to maintain its eligibility rules for the Oscars amid calls for a crackdown on streaming services from some prominent members. On Tuesday night, the board of governors decided to keep the current requirements, which state that a feature-length film must run for one-week in an L.A. County theater to qualify for best picture.

“The Academy’s Board of Governors voted to maintain Rule Two, Eligibility for the 92nd Oscars. The rule states that to be eligible for awards consideration, a film must have a minimum seven-day theatrical run in a Los Angeles County commercial theater, with at least three screenings per day for paid admission. Motion pictures released in nontheatrical media on or after the first day of their Los Angeles County theatrical qualifying run remain eligible,” the board said in a statement on its website.

https://ew.com/oscars/2019/04/24/academy-oscar-eligibility-rules-streaming-services-netflix/

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Academy votes not to change Oscar eligibility rules for streaming services in major win for Netflix

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voted to maintain its eligibility rules for the Oscars amid calls for a crackdown on streaming services from some prominent members. On Tuesday night, the board of governors decided to keep the current requirements, which state that a feature-length film must run for one-week in an L.A. County theater to qualify for best picture.

“The Academy’s Board of Governors voted to maintain Rule Two, Eligibility for the 92nd Oscars. The rule states that to be eligible for awards consideration, a film must have a minimum seven-day theatrical run in a Los Angeles County commercial theater, with at least three screenings per day for paid admission. Motion pictures released in nontheatrical media on or after the first day of their Los Angeles County theatrical qualifying run remain eligible,” the board said in a statement on its website.

https://ew.com/oscars/2019/04/24/academy-oscar-eligibility-rules-streaming-services-netflix/

I have to laugh at the use of the word 'crackdown' suggesting it is a crime if something streams instead of being exhibited theatrically. 

Note how they don't say what the actual vote was, if some board members were not in favor of maintaining the old rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UMO1982 said:

According to Box Office Mojo https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=judy.htm

Loos like it opened in most big cities a fell far shot of estimates.

Anyone expecting to hear Garland's magnificent voice will flee the theater when Zellweger starts yodeling.

 

What fool would be expecting to hear Garland's magnificent voice? 

Also, since the film is about the last year of her life,,, well,,, that voice wasn't so magnificent by then.    One can see the decline in her CBS T.V. Show (which Get-TV showed a while back and was still great to view).

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What fool would be expecting to hear Garland's magnificent voice? 

Also, since the film is about the last year of her life,,, well,,, that voice wasn't so magnificent by then.    One can see the decline in her CBS T.V. Show (which Get-TV showed a while back and was still great to view).

 

 

People who expect that the actress would lip sync to Garland's recordings.... There's flashback stuff (apparently) to when Garland's voice was at its peak. As I said before ..... stick with the Judy Davis TV biopic.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...