Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

42 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The principals in such a case wouldn't be allowed to go forward if the film was made in CA,  due to the special law CA has that protects film makers.

This is the same law Olivia DeHavilland tried to challenge and where she lost suing the producers of Feud (the Joan and Bette AMC special.     Olivia's case did go forward due to a Judge being sympathetic to a over 100 year old women,  but the next level Judge dismissed the case saying it should have never gone forward due to the existing CA law.   

As long as any dirt is based on a factual basis one can't sue over such dirt.    Note the leeway given with factual basis;  This was at the center of the DeHavilland case;   The Feud script had Olivia calling her sister Joan the b-word.   Olivia said she never called her sister that and never would have.   Since Olivia was on record for calling Joan other names (I believe the one mentioned by Feud lawyers was  dragon lady),   the Judge found that use of the b-word, even if never said, was close-enough to what Olivia had said about her sister to form a factual basis.

She probably regrets having said that about her sister.

21 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Zellweger is only a couple years older than Judy was when she died...

Three.

JUDY barely made $3M in its opening weekend and Variety is now trying to claim it a hit. Diane Keaton's Poms opened with $5.3M and was announced as a bomb from the getgo.

7 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

Three.

JUDY barely made $3M in its opening weekend and Variety is now trying to claim it a hit. Diane Keaton's Poms opened with $5.3M and was announced as a bomb from the getgo.

Poms opened on 2750 screens, Judy on 461.

• Thanks 1
On 9/28/2019 at 12:16 PM, UMO1982 said:

Zellweger's preening biopic opened Friday. Estimates called for $1.3 to $1.4M but it made only $900K, less then 70% of best guesses.

WOW. Guess the Judy market has been saturated.....

still feeling guilty about the whole "ADAM'S APPLE" crack a while back...

if it means anything, I'm just salty in general about biopics AND the current state of filmmaking...and I cannot- at this point- consider even humoring the notion that a film about, oh, JUDY GARLAND or FREDDY MERCURY or ELTON JOHN is- in fact really about JUDY or FREDDY or ELTON, and not, in fact ALL ABOUT BEING "FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION" from the opening credit logos of the six different companies that had a hand in its production and release right up to the BEST ORIGINAL SONG CONTENDER that plays over the 10 minute long credits.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

thing is, this movie WAS MADE, and GARLAND starred in it AS HERSELF, it was called I COULD GO ON SINGING (and why she didn't get a nomination is BEYOND ME because 1963 was a weak year for lead actresses and her scene with DIRK BOGARDE when she says 'I SING FOR ME' is REAL.

And Judy gave a magnificent performance-- she had a lot of courage to show the raw edge of what she really was and how she really lived.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

still feeling guilty about the whole "ADAM'S APPLE" crack a while back...

if it means anything, I'm just salty in general about biopics AND the current state of filmmaking...and I cannot- at this point- consider even humoring the notion that a film about, oh, JUDY GARLAND or FREDDY MERCURY or ELTON JOHN is- in fact really about JUDY or FREDDY or ELTON, and not, in fact ALL ABOUT BEING "FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION" from the opening credit logos of the six different companies that had a hand in its production and release right up to the BEST ORIGINAL SONG CONTENDER that plays over the 10 minute long credits.

So they wrote an original song for the movie???

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

A bio film that focused only on the difficult latter parts of a person's live would be less interesting to me.   I kind of hinted at this when I said in my initial post that Judy wasn't a 'fun' film.     Yea,  I also would rather see a more comprehensive film.  

Yep.  And in the case of MILES AHEAD, well, Miles lived such a multi faceted life that a bio covering most of his life and showing how he got to where he wound up towards the end would be more fascinating.  And I feel too,that a movie that focuses on the last years of Garland's life and struggle with her demons lets the people in her life who GOT her there off the hook.  I STILL hope there was a special corner in hell reserved for Louis B. Mayer. :angry: 

Sepiatone

Depends on the source....

I've understood it was Louis who suggested the pills and Judy's Mother who kept her using.  I really think it was a case of Mayer ordering people to find a way to keep her working and on schedule and not caring how, plus turning a blind eye on what was being done.  As long as the revenue kept pouring in, he was happy and how it was being done was OK with him.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I've understood it was Louis who suggested the pills and Judy's Mother who kept her using.  I really think it was a case of Mayer ordering people to find a way to keep her working and on schedule and not caring how, plus turning a blind eye on what was being done.  As long as the revenue kept pouring in, he was happy and how it was being done was OK with him.

Sepiatone

Judy's mother was on salary at MGM for the sole purpose of controlling Judy and having her do what the studio demanded.

I can easily envision that Judy's mother looked for easy ways to do the job which she was being paid for. Or she just may have been told to follow orders.

In all fairness to her, in those days people really didn't know the long-term effects of amphetamines and similar drugs. These drugs were administered by doctors, which generally gave them the air of authenticity.

The studios had so much power in those days that they actually controlled their communities, as well as the lives of their contract players.

I think I could easily say that nobody's ordinary middle class Midwestern mother would be any kind of a match for Louis B. Mayer, Irving Thalberg, Eddie Mannix or anybody else they would have thrown at her from that Culver City studio. 

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

5:06 especially

I love the story behind this number in Minnelli's "Ziegfeld Follies".

Kay Thompson worked up this routine for Greer Garson. But apparently it rubbed Madame Garson too closely or the wrong way.

So Judy got it and it is fun to see how much of Kay you can see in it.

I wish Kay had made more musicals herself, but we can be thankful that at least we have her totally on on board and for the record in Fred Astaire's "Funny Face". What a woman!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

I love the story behind this number in Minnelli's "Ziegfeld Follies".

Kay Thompson worked up this routine for Greer Garson. But apparently it rubbed Madame Garson too closely or the wrong way.

So Judy got it and it is fun to see how much of Kay ou can see in it.

I wish Kay had made more musicals herself, but we can be thankful that at least we have her totally on on board and for the record in Fred Astaire's "Funny Face". What a woman!

Kay Thompson was fantastic in Funny Face.  I loved her assertiveness and her great wardrobe! I loved the outfit she wore in the "Clap Yo' Hands" number.

One of my favorite parts of Funny Face is at the beginning:

(After singing "Think Pink" and getting "Quality" magazine back on track, someone asks Kay Thompson if she's going to wear pink)

"ME? I wouldn't be caught dead." Lol.

Not related to Kay Thompson, but I like to mimic model Marion's line when she says: "Izzi Bucci" in her nasally voice.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Kay Thompson was fantastic in Funny Face.  I loved her assertiveness and her great wardrobe! I loved the outfit she wore in the "Clap Yo' Hands" number.

One of my favorite parts of Funny Face is at the beginning:

(After singing "Think Pink" and getting "Quality" magazine back on track, someone asks Kay Thompson if she's going to wear pink)

"ME? I wouldn't be caught dead." Lol.

Not related to Kay Thompson, but I like to mimic model Marion's line when she says: "Izzi Bucci" in her nasally voice.

I get the biggest kick out of Kay's number with Audrey Hepburn in "Funny Face".

I like to imagine maybe that's the way she taught Judy Garland and Lena Horne oh, and not to mention Andy Williams.

She schooled and mentored so many great performers and yet managed to stay in the background herself.

Except for the legendary Las Vegas nightclub club act she did with Andy and his brothers. I actually found a video on YouTube from an old TV show of them performing together--Rare stuff indeed!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I get the biggest kick out of Kay's number with Audrey Hepburn in "Funny Face".

I like to imagine maybe that's the way she taught Judy Garland and Lena Horne oh, and not to mention Andy Williams.

She schooled and mentored so many great performers and yet managed to stay in the background herself.

Except for the legendary Las Vegas nightclub club act she did with Andy and his brothers. I actually found a video on YouTube from an old TV show of them performing together--Rare stuff indeed!

Not to mention she also wrote the Eloise series of children's picture books. 

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

There were times when she was kept awake 14 days straight while sets were moved around so they could film scenes 24/7. That's where all the drugs came in. That's also why she was falling apart during "Annie Get Your Gun". She eventually had to go to a doctor to be "taught" how to sleep like a normal person.

But, of course in this society, one mention of drugs and people tend to just dismiss a person regardless of context.

• Thanks 2