Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies That It Sometimes Feels That Only You Alone Like?


Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, overeasy said:

 

I just love Black Widow. Cool performances all around.  

 

 

 

I haven't seen this since it first opened but remember liking it and the performances too.  But refresh my memory,  was there some kind of lesbian subtext between the two leads?  Or I'm confusing that with something else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, you're not confusing it with something else. Theresa Russell is very seductive in Black Widow, and at times some of that energy seems to be directed toward Debra Winger, who is trying to prove Russell is a killer.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unabashed Copland & Speed Racer fan chiming in here!

I was a vid store clerk for 12 years, starting in the 90s so I'd venture to guess I've seen several thousand movies & whenever people would ask about Copland I'd go all in. Especially since Stallone plays against his usual tough guy type.

As for Speed Racer, well, let's just say when I was 5 I just KNEW I was going to marry Speed. He was gonna toss Trixie to the side be mine!!:lol: When I heard they were doing a live action I was very excited. Then the reviews hit. When I finally saw it I was very impressed. It looked & felt like the cartoon but I was mostly impressed with Matthew Fox as Racer X. I thought he nailed him. I was not as fond of Emile Hirsch as Speed but that was because I wanted a dark haired blue eyed Speed like the cartoon, but his performance was good.

I also love those Full Moon horror movies from the 90s, especially the Puppetmaster series. I have a soft spot in general for "doll horror". Not dolls like Annabelle, because she just makes others do her bidding, but movies where the dolls do the damage. Movies like Dolls, the Chucky series, Dolls, Dolly Dearest, the Trilogy of Terror chapter with the Zuni fetish (scarred me for life), that sort of stuff.

So to answer your question, I'll go with another "doll horror" movie that scarred me for life & say "Magic" with Sir Anthony Hopkins as a ventriloquist named Corky & his ridonkulously terrifying "figure" named Fats.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love watching Laurence Harvey and Elizabeth Taylor together in BUtterfield 8, because they were both so beautiful.  I just have to suspend disbelief about things like men going out with Liz a few times and then dumping her and the ridiculous chase scene at the end where he is chasing her in her red convertible and every few minutes she turns halfway around in her seat to look back at his car while they're going 100 miles and hour. Foolish kids.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Maybe some would call it good acting,but one vehicle I didn't like Debra Winger in was URBAN COWBOY.  I wanted to smack both her and Travolta's characters for being such insufferable brats.

Sepiatone

They were indeed two of the dumbest characters ever in a Hollywood romantic movie. Believable, but not too bright.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndreaDoria said:

the ridiculous chase scene at the end where he is chasing her in her red convertible and every few minutes she turns halfway around in her seat to look back at his car while they're going 100 miles and hour. Foolish kids.

Spoiler alert: well, look what happened to her!

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I doubt there are truly any movies that one person alone likes, but just to play along

I'll thrown in The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant.

Isn't that generally regarded as a cinema masterpiece?

Now, personally I didn't care for it, but I think we've firmly established that I'm an idiot, so my appraisal doesn't mean much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Isn't that generally regarded as a cinema masterpiece?

Now, personally I didn't care for it, but I think we've firmly established that I'm an idiot, so my appraisal doesn't mean much.

Don't beat yourself up Lawrence, that's what other posters are here for.

I think Petra Von Kant has more negative feedback than positive, along the lines of

being a dull, slow moving, self-indulgent talkathon. Like other movies, I can see

where those criticisms come from, but I like it anyway. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

ROCKET SHIP X-M  probably the first aliens on another planet movie after WW2 that wasn't a movie serial like the Universal Flash Gordons of the 30's. Released by Lippert with neat music by Ferde Grofe of Grand Canyon Suite fame .

Edited by cody1949
Unnecessary word.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Don't beat yourself up Lawrence, that's what other posters are here for.

I think Petra Von Kant has more negative feedback than positive, along the lines of

being a dull, slow moving, self-indulgent talkathon. Like other movies, I can see

where those criticisms come from, but I like it anyway. 

 

:blink:

Wasn't that RETURN OF THE SECAUCUS SEVEN? :wacko:

Now, I've never seen the "Petra" movie in question here,  So I'll hold back on any comment.  I've heard good and bad, which just makes me more curious.  ;)

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have a movie that made you angry at the end? You sit through it thinking "OK, it's got to get better", you think about giving up but stick it out for whatever reason, & then 2 hours later you're all "I WANT THOSE 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE BACK!!"

I know several people felt that way about "Blair Witch" but for me & some friends it was "Saw." 

We didn't want to watch "Saw" to begin with. Not that we don't like horror, just, well, we weren't in the mood. But one friend insisted we watch it so we did.

At the end of it (BIG SAW SPOILER COMING if you care about things like that) I threw something at their TV & several of us yelled variations of, "****?!?! HE WAS ALIVE ON THE FLOOR THE WHOLE TIME?!?!THAT'S B.S.!NOEFFINWAY!!FOR 2 HOURS THEY DIDN'T SEE HIM BREATHING!!"

Sorry if I spoiled it for you but let's say I took one for the team so now you don't have to watch that garbage movie.

We don't let that friend pick our movies any more.:)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 11:57 PM, kingrat said:

No, you're not confusing it with something else. Theresa Russell is very seductive in Black Widow, and at times some of that energy seems to be directed toward Debra Winger, who is trying to prove Russell is a killer.

Indeed, as I recall there is a rather hard/intense lesbian kiss between the two women. It was a nice subtext, at a time when that wasn't common.  I have always liked Sami Frey and he is wonderful in this.  Not for nothin', but I could use more of kind of neo noir these days....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:blink:

Wasn't that RETURN OF THE SECAUCUS SEVEN? :wacko:

Now, I've never seen the "Petra" movie in question here,  So I'll hold back on any comment.  I've heard good and bad, which just makes me more curious.  ;)

Sepiatone

I liked that one too. I'd say that Secaucus Seven is more releatable, at least to Americans, than

Petra Von Kant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 9:00 AM, TikiSoo said:

Intriguing. I have enjoyed Theresa Russell in everything I've seen her in-same for Debra Winger. Thanks for mentioning this.

This reminded me of a Theresa Russell movie that seems to have fallen on such hard times that it isn't even in her filmography in the TCM data base: Nicholas Roeg's Insignificance (1985). And it fits the OP's requirements. It's not entirely successful and it has a kind of stagey feel because it never gets too far beyond it's roots as a play, but it's a really imaginative use of real characters in a hypothetical situation: Marilyn Monroe, Joe DiMaggio, Albert Einstein and Senator Joe McCarthy. (None are named, only "The Actress", "The Ballplayer", etc.) It takes place on the night of the Times Square photo shoot in the famous white dress, when Marilyn (Russell) later encounters Einstein in a hotel room, is pursued by DiMaggio, and then visited by McCarthy. There's a really good scene in which Marilyn demonstrates the theory of relativity for Einstein using available objects in the hotel room. It's definitely a film which should be rescued.

Insignificance-1985.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I liked that one too. I'd say that Secaucus Seven is more releatable, at least to Americans, than

Petra Von Kant. 

Secaucus was supposedly the source idea for THE BIG CHILL as you notice that many of the characters and their separate interactions are similar although the reasons for their gathering differs.  But I found the gang in Secaucus made the movie a "dull, slow moving self indulgent talkathon".  And definitely not the kind of self centered condescending scumwads I'd care to hang out with. 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DougieB said:

This reminded me of a Theresa Russell movie that seems to have fallen on such hard times that it isn't even in her filmography in the TCM data base: Nicholas Roeg's Insignificance (1985). And it fits the OP's requirements. It's not entirely successful and it has a kind of stagey feel because it never gets too far beyond it's roots as a play, but it's a really imaginative use of real characters in a hypothetical situation: Marilyn Monroe, Joe DiMaggio, Albert Einstein and Senator Joe McCarthy. (None are named, only "The Actress", "The Ballplayer", etc.) It takes place on the night of the Times Square photo shoot in the famous white dress, when Marilyn (Russell) later encounters Einstein in a hotel room, is pursued by DiMaggio, and then visited by McCarthy. There's a really good scene in which Einstein explains the theory of relativity to a captivated and inquisitive Marilyn. It's definitely a film which should be rescued.

Insignificance-1985.jpg

I've seen it. Remember being terribly disturbed by the nightmare sequence at the end (where Einstein imagines the destruction that would be caused by an atomic bomb if it hit the very room where he was). It's kind of high profile still.... The Criterion Collection gave it a luxury DVD version some years back

81G+sYZITJL._SL1500_.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Secaucus was supposedly the source idea for THE BIG CHILL as you notice that many of the characters and their separate interactions are similar although the reasons for their gathering differs.  But I found the gang in Secaucus made the movie a "dull, slow moving self indulgent talkathon".  And definitely not the kind of self centered condescending scumwads I'd care to hang out with. 

Sepiatone

Yes there are certainly a lot of similarities between the two movies. The Big Chill is mostly a larger

budget with more prosperous characters version of The Secaucus Seven. I would also say the

latter is more realistic than the former. I haven't seen either one in a while, but I don't recall the

folks in TSS being that bad, at least for movie characters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

a-new-leaf.jpg

Mentioned in another thread.  

My family saw this together at the theater and we thought it was a riot! For decades I'd receive disdain or puzzled response whenever I mentioned it among film fans.

I recorded it from TCM when it premiered a few years ago & brought it to our annual gathering. It was as funny as we all remembered and the first time viewers in the family loved it too. Seems like this film has gained a somewhat cult status.

Maybe that's just the way things are with black comedies.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

, but I don't recall the folks in TSS being that bad, at least for movie characters. 

I suppose not, if severe cases of superiority complex strikes you as likable.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I suppose not, if severe cases of superiority complex strikes you as likable.  ;) 

Sepiatone

From what I recall there were a couple of wiseguys, but I didn't think of them as having

much of a superiority complex.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

a-new-leaf.jpg

Mentioned in another thread.  

My family saw this together at the theater and we thought it was a riot! For decades I'd receive disdain or puzzled response whenever I mentioned it among film fans.

I recorded it from TCM when it premiered a few years ago & brought it to our annual gathering. It was as funny as we all remembered and the first time viewers in the family loved it too. Seems like this film has gained a somewhat cult status.

Maybe that's just the way things are with black comedies.

 

I think poor Elaine May was such a victim of backlash against Ishtar that her other films were retroactively downgraded. I'm old enough to have seen Mike Nichols and Elaine May on live TV a number of times and she's been the funniest woman I know of ever since. I love her as the vain, inept "ingenue" in her father's low-rent theater company in Enter Laughing. I get the same puzzled response when I praise Mike Nichols' The Birdcage, which I think was genius, largely because of her script. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DougieB said:

I get the same puzzled response when I praise Mike Nichols' The Birdcage, which I think was genius, largely because of her script. 

Wow. I think BIRDCAGE is brilliant as well. Along with Nathan Lane & Robin Williams' talented lead performances, it's a winner!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...