Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

THE JOKER sad, depressing, haunting & tremendous

To TopBilled, icon said you relied somewhere here, but cannot find you?  I know you didn't go to many new releases I used to starting at age 17-18 for 1982-(a great year at the theatre, gave ten new releases 4 stars myself) Though did fairly crappy come Oscar night, I was so green at it. Pint being I made a point of gong to between 36 and 60 new movies per year, but in recent years-(also due to $finaces$ & heath) I go to about 20 at best & rarely go back as I always used to on certain one's I thought great   Planning to see THE IRISHMAN though?

To those equally sick of Marvel & it's comic fix locate my listing of the top ten films of this year & you'll see what I & others mean  Plus, of all-time also written within a month by me  The ne most interesting to me anyhow is ADJUSTED FOR INFLATION

However in defense of this meticulously crafted excellent film, it is no comic book

Does anyone recall him (J. Phoenix) as the little boy(about age 13-14 then) in *Ron Howard's terrific 1989 Parenthood?

6 hours ago, spence said:

cigarjoe, you also already went to it?

No, I haven't seen any Batman or Superhero film except for probably a few seconds while switching channels. The only comic books I bought as a kid were usually Classics Illustrated. Then as a young adult a lot of head comix. 😎

Mantyhose wearing superheros don't appeal to me.

15 hours ago, hamradio said:

From the trailer I've seen, can't personally connect this version of the Joker with Batman.

Wonder is he laughing now that Batman has teamed up with the others to form the Justice League? ;)

moxmoiowpjtvrd1xs5uh.jpg

Seen "Wonder Woman" (2017) for the first time last week, wasn't bad. Since she killed a god (Ares) should she be called Super Woman? :D

(Lynda Carter is now so lame.)

didn't know the political correctists have now made the flash a woman. notice how they hafta put the militant female superhero WW right out in front?

does she even know that she's standing with others?

:lol:

they constantly work on minimizing superman. in my comic book days superman was so powerful he could move the earth so him getting competition from Batman or the Hulk even is laughable.

today's comic book schtootzes dedicate themselves to erasing all past established canon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spence said:

To TopBilled...Planning to see THE IRISHMAN though?

Yes, I am. I am also planning to see the LITTLE WOMEN remake on Christmas Day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

notice how they hafta put the militant female superhero WW right out in front?

Maybe they just want to show off her legs...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

does she even know that she's standing with others?

She's looks like a poster painting.

Just went to The Joker yesterday afternoon & as I just write elsewhere it was calm, quiet & no punks  Matter if fact the few that were there were 25 & up for the most part Even here in FL though still no make-up allowed & after those awful movie theatre shootings yrs ago they used to have to check moviegoers bags, even ladies purses, then they stopped for a longtime, though for this did have to just briefly look inside my old, original 1994 TCM Duffel Bag.

As for the hugely hyped movie it's like nothing folks expected in advance, a very dark, sad, haunting-(especially after) & yes, ultra violent-(though brief outbursts only) motion picture & critics are somewhat accurate in comparing it to Taxi-Driver, somewhat only though, because Travis Bickle was a loner but strong as..... J. Phoenix's character is stunningly weak to start with. As I watched I kept thinking NYC is thee single worst place for the guy to live in. Not to divulge too much & people should be banned for giving away it's last 40 minutes or so!  It's a stunner to say the least  Most coverage hardly shows *De Niro in here, but he's a pivotal part of this somewhat Thriller.  Not exactly Marvel material, so unlikely people will go back and back to it. I respect it, but don't love it like  Stan & 0llie

As for J. Phoenix-(birth name was Leaf, his parents were hippies & named him that & River Phoenix & I think there are more in the family)  Never liked Joaquin myself, but as all say he is amazing here & has the Academy Award, it's the motion picture itself that stunned me, it was fantastic  & any idiots that may want to take their kids to this are crazier then this title character  I since seeing it if it's potential blockbuster $B.O$ may not be quite as huge-(I predicted $275m.) because it is so dark & repeat viewings don't seem like they may not happen. Certainly not Batman or Avengers material   I'd say the Dark Knight (2008) was a lot more violent   My personal score highest possible 4 out of 4 stars!) & best new release I went to in a year     Next hopefully *GFII & maybe if it opens-(Nov. 27th) The Irishman

Check it out for yourself

Thank you

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SansFin said:

qKL4APn.jpg

I agree to a degree, but it doesn't glamorize guns, it's obvious this character is gone mentally, so it's not like DK or it's sequel  Plus tons more fix nowadays that have guns & action everywhere, just look at Sly's pretty  entertaining Expendables franchise, that glamorizes guns  There are only short bursts of gun violence here though  They are trying & succeeding into turning this exceptional film into a political football, again  This goes on a lot, back in '88 *Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ ($8m.) was everywhere & many since   Among my files I have lists for almost everything & the most violent I've ever seen td are> Passion of the Christ (still made $374m. in the states & excellent filmmaking!), 300, Kill Bill, volume 1-(I prefer this sequel over the first because that had more an Asian flavor & this was obviously western & Morricone./Leone) 2008's Dark Knight was much more violent through out then The Joker   

On 10/5/2019 at 11:41 AM, TopBilled said:

Yes, I am. I am also planning to see the LITTLE WOMEN remake on Christmas Day.

Whats your view of the 18933 *Kate version-(she was angry that she won her very first Academy Award for Morning Glory & not LW that yr)

& Winona's jo in the wonderful 1994 remake, also with Susan Sarandon. It's score as usual by him by Thomas Newman just added the perfect touch (NOTE: he may well be pitted vs his brother Randy come Oscar time, Thomas for 1917 and Randy for Marriage Story?)

Saw it Thursday evening.  It was exactly what I expected.  Did NOT care for it, but I would LOVE to see them try to spin a Batman Sequel out of this and with a ninety three million dollar opening weekend I'm sure they might try.  I can't see LEAF Phoenix's Joker being much of a foil for any incarnation of Batman.  I gotta say that I do have a problem with them pointing to him being seriously mentally ill, but I am glad that he knew it.  Would I ever sit through this again. NOPE.  And honestly I think with Phoenix's acting chops this could have been better.  I blame Todd Phillips.  He should not have attempted to direct anything like this.

27 minutes ago, spence said:

Whats your view of the 18933 *Kate version-(she was angry that she won her very first Academy Award for Morning Glory & not LW that yr)

& Winona's jo in the wonderful 1994 remake, also with Susan Sarandon. It's score as usual by him by Thomas Newman just added the perfect touch (NOTE: he may well be pitted vs his brother Randy come Oscar time, Thomas for 1917 and Randy for Marriage Story?)

I like all the previous versions, for different reasons. Including Metro's version from 1949.

Favorite Jo: Katharine Hepburn
Favorite Bhaer: Rossano Brazzi
Favorite Aunt March: Lucile Watson
Favorite Marmee: Mary Astor
Favorite Laurie: Peter Lawford
Favorite Amy: Joan Bennett
Favorite Beth: Margaret O'Brien
Favorite Meg: Frances Dee

• Like 1

Just now, TopBilled said:

I like all the previous versions, for different reasons. Including Metro's version from 1949.

OOPS, top, how could I forgetthat version, it was immensely popular too, not a fan of Allyson my self though  M-G-M all the way   AGAIN, EXCUSE MISSING & NO SPACES BETWEEN ON MY WRITING, TCM DOES THIS LATER AT NIGHT, AT LEAST TO ME   I was just writing folks &on GD & Cinema Café & had to trouble?

There was also a 1970's tv version with *Greer Garson

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Favorite Jo: Katharine Hepburn
Favorite Bhaer: Rossano Brazzi
Favorite Aunt March: Lucile Watson
Favorite Marmee: Mary Astor
Favorite Laurie: Peter Lawford
Favorite Amy: Joan Bennett
Favorite Beth: Margaret O'Brien
Favorite Meg: Frances Dee

another fine breakdown, but i'm prejudiced and prefer winona's jo barely over kate's

and by far Sarandon's marmee   what about that wondrous score again by Thomas newman, he was against himself that yr in the Oscars, nommed as well for shawshank

On 10/5/2019 at 11:20 AM, NipkowDisc said:

they constantly work on minimizing superman. in my comic book days superman was so powerful he could move the earth so him getting competition from Batman or the Hulk even is laughable.

today's comic book schtootzes dedicate themselves to erasing all past established canon.

you might be right ad wasn't he the oldest starting in '38

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

j. phoenix has a history of acting strangely in interviews, letterman's was a prime examplei

but it has a bit in common with the brilliant taxi-driver, but travis bickle was strong and his character was a weak soul to begin with and as I watched the wors at place to for him to live in was nyc

• Like 1