Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gershwin fan

Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

53 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

True, though The Avengers aren't Steve McQueen.  That begs the question though.  If Steve McQueen was around and in the prime of his career, as he was when he made Bullitt, would he even consider an Avengers movie?  http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

Maybe. The superhero movies of the 2010s are just as much of an escapism as were the disaster movies of the 1970s. And he did do one of those.

9 minutes ago, LiamCasey said:

Maybe. The superhero movies of the 2010s are just as much of an escapism as were the disaster movies of the 1970s. And he did do one of those.

The Towering Inferno--I saw it first run, "The Grand Hotel" of the 70s. This movie is so much fun with so many extreme acting portrayals it's hard not to laugh just to think about it. But Richard Chamberlain's was the most excessive.

We used to see this movie all the time on TV but since OJ Simpson was a hero in this film oh, I think its been put on ice for awhile.

Steve McQueen's main job in this film was to try to show that he was more Macho than Paul Newman. 

• Like 2

I remember something Gene Hackman said' I wanted to do meaningful films,i did Scarecrow and it died-1973.After that one I looked at the paycheck ONLY. Hackman turned down many good movies for money reasons, I have 1 or 2 films of his to see as I am a completist.He did many turkeys believe me  like Loose Cannons,Welcome to Mooseport etc.I agree with Scorcese I will never see a Marvel hero movie-no interest at all,but I will see Joker as it will be different,it will probably have a Oscar or Golden Globe buzz.If so I will watch the Golden Globes only if Phoenix is nominated as I have no interest in watching the overrated Tom Hanks receiving the De Mille Award...

33 minutes ago, nakano said:

I remember something Gene Hackman said' I wanted to do meaningful films,i did Scarecrow and it died-1973.After that one I looked at the paycheck ONLY. Hackman turned down many good movies for money reasons, I have 1 or 2 films of his to see as I am a completist.He did many turkeys believe me  like Loose Cannons,Welcome to Mooseport etc.I agree with Scorcese I will never see a Marvel hero movie-no interest at all,but I will see Joker as it will be different,it will probably have a Oscar or Golden Globe buzz.If so I will watch the Golden Globes only if Phoenix is nominated as I have no interest in watching the overrated Tom Hanks receiving the De Mille Award...

I saw "Scarecrow" and it was truly a painfully, memorable film. Aside from "Bonnie and Clyde ", I was never impressed with Gene Hackman's work again.

3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

True, though The Avengers aren't Steve McQueen.  That begs the question though.  If Steve McQueen was around and in the prime of his career, as he was when he made Bullitt, would he even consider an Avengers movie?  http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

No, he would be too busy doing Fast and the Furious 29 :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Apparently, someone thinks he would:

image-asset.jpeg?format=2500w

9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

But I still feel like the topic has been beaten to death and is as tired as a wine-club promo.

Oh, buddy, that may be the ultimate putdown!

3 hours ago, nakano said:

I remember something Gene Hackman said' I wanted to do meaningful films,i did Scarecrow and it died-1973.After that one I looked at the paycheck ONLY

That's the Greatest Criminal Mahnd of Our Tahme for ya...

Lex-Luthor-1978-mod-548x406.jpg

• Like 1

Mr. Scorsese is absolutely correct. Comic book movies are adrenal rushes for immature adults and children. They are designed to show off the technical achievements of computer graphics without wasting too much time on dialogue and character development. The great actors that are still around....DeNiro, Pacino, Nicholson, Hoffman, and Redford are retired or close to it. It's not actors or story that brings in the big bucks , and they are huge, but the technical wizardry of computer graphics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cody1949 said:

Comic book movies are adrenal rushes for immature adults and children.

That's me. 

• Haha 1

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/samuel-l-jackson-martin-scorseses-marvel-1203360546/

Samuel L. Jackson Responds to Martin Scorsese’s Marvel Comments

Samuel L. Jackson has responded to Martin Scorsese’s comments that Marvel films aren’t real cinema.

“I mean that’s like saying Bugs Bunny ain’t funny. Films are films. Everybody doesn’t like his stuff either,” Jackson told Variety‘s Angelique Jackson at the grand opening of Tyler Perry’s new studio in Atlanta, Ga. “Everybody’s got an opinion, so I mean it’s okay. Ain’t going to stop nobody from making movies.”

Jackson’s comments were in response to an interview Scorsese gave Empire magazine, in which “The Irishman” filmmaker likened the superhero films to theme parks.

“I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema,” Scorsese said. “Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

Earlier on the carpet, Jackson praised Perry, the evening’s man of the hour, calling him both “a real one” and “a real anomaly.”

“Everybody has dreams about things they want to do and what they hope to accomplish. Tyler has been one of those visionaries that taps into his visions and makes them happen,” Jackson said. “And that’s amazing. Everybody doesn’t have that acumen.”

The Marvel actor also shared his surprise that his Nick Fury alter ego hasn’t made an appearance in the “Black Panther” futuristic city of Wakanda; although he hopes that changes soon.

“How did Nick Fury not end up in Wakanda?,” Jackson said. “I’m sure he’s been there, at least to the club.”

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/oct/04/martin-scorsese-says-marvel-movies-are-not-cinema

The director says he has tried and failed to watch the new brand of superhero films, which he likens to theme parks

Martin Scorsese, one of cinema’s most venerated current directors, has decried superhero movies – the dominant force in today’s industry. The director of films such as Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and Goodfellas told Empire magazine that his attempts to get up to speed with contemporary superhero films had failed.

“I tried, you know?” the director said when asked if he had seen Marvel’s movies. “But that’s not cinema.”

He continued: “Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

Earlier this year, Avengers: Endgame became the highest grossing film in history after topping $2.8bn at the global box office (fifth highest after adjusting for inflation). Eight other titles from the same studio feature in the Top 30 (when factored without inflation).

Marvel head Kevin Feige last year defended his films against the kind of criticism levelled by Scorsese, saying that the series’s lack of major awards was no indication of a lack of quality or ambition.

“Maybe it’s easy to dismiss VFX or flying people or spaceships or billion dollar grosses,” Feige said. “I think it is easy to say that you have already been awarded in a certain way. [Alfred] Hitchcock never won best director, so it’s very nice, but it doesn’t mean everything. I would much rather be in a room full of engaged fans.”

Scorsese’s latest film, The Irishman, won rave reviews from its premiere at the New York film festival last weekend, with critics praising the use of “de-ageing” technology.

Out today is Joker, Todd Phillip’s revisionist take on the DC villain, which borrows much from the films of Scorsese, notably 1983’s The King of Comedy.

Good article/post &I somewhat agree with him, tho8gh thought '89's Batman was marvelous, especially *Nicholson& The Dark Knight was excellent 4 strs! & a couple more, but enough already About 6 of the top ten biggest $hits$ are comic book related?  See they constantly make big $ough$because kids go back and back & even more popular worldwide

Just now, spence said:

Good article/post &I somewhat agree with him, tho8gh thought '89's Batman was marvelous, especially *Nicholson& The Dark Knight was excellent 4 strs! & a couple more, but enough already About 6 of the top ten biggest $hits$ are comic book related?  See they constantly make big $ough$because kids go back and back & even more popular worldwide

Sorry to correct you Gershwin fan, but SW: Force Awakens is still #1 at the domestic $Box=0ffice$ at over $937m. 

End Game is ust behind it  I personally did not go to it meself

I don't like superhero movies, either, but this just reeks of snobbery. Did he miss how Iron Man spent nearly as much time on letting viewers get to know its main character as it did on action sequences?

The problem is there is just too much of them between January and September.  The movies for adult adults are scheduled for Fall through Christmas to be fresh in the minds of Academy members for Oscar awards. The 

"Adult adults"?   Hee!  Getting to be a rare breed lately!  ;)  Gotta remember we're talkin' about show business here!   And just follow the money( like it's said in many movies) ......  Which takes in a higher daily gross......

The "art" museum, or the adult bookstore?  

McDonald's, or the vegan eatery? 

Get the picture?   While I agree with Scorsese to a degree, I must point out that while many of his movies ARE top-notch "cinema,"  not ALL of them are "great".  And it's like much anything else.

Many people love spinach, I can't stand it.  On the other hand, I love beets, while many I know can't stand them.  

I don't drink alcohol because I don't like the feeling of being drunk.  But too, I know people who can't live without it!   Scorsese's just voicing his opinion and I think he knows better than to suggest those movies shouldn't be made.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Of course they are going to be made even if I think there are too many of them. Simple reason... it brings in the moola !

Not to mention the...

scratch

sugar

lettuce

bread

gravy

and anything else on the menu!  ;) 

Sepiatone

16 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

We used to see this movie all the time on TV but since OJ Simpson was a hero in this film oh, I think its been put on ice for awhile.

TCM has run The Cassandra Crossing and Simpson is in that one, too.

24 minutes ago, Fedya said:

TCM has run The Cassandra Crossing and Simpson is in that one, too.

I've never heard of this movie. It sounds like it is a more legitimate entry then those stupid "Gun" movies he starred in with Leslie Nielsen.

But when I saw him in "The Towering Inferno" at the movie theater, I couldn't figure out why he was even in this movie. All of the featured performers were old or current movie stars. He really didn't fit in in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I've never heard of this movie. It sounds like it is a more legitimate entry then those stupid "Gun" movies he starred in with Leslie Nielsen.

But when I saw him in "The Towering Inferno" at the movie theater, I couldn't figure out why he was even in this movie. All of the featured performers were old or current movie stars. He really didn't fit in in the first place.

Jlewis and I just reviewed THE CASSANDRA CROSSING in the Essentials forum, last weekend. It was part of our series on Traveling in Europe. We discussed O.J. Simpson's contribution to the movie, including why he had been cast, among other things.

The review is also on one of my blogs:

https://oforinvolvingmotionpictures.wordpress.com/2019/09/28/essential-the-cassandra-crossing-1976/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/samuel-l-jackson-martin-scorseses-marvel-1203360546/

Samuel L. Jackson Responds to Martin Scorsese’s Marvel Comments

Samuel L. Jackson has responded to Martin Scorsese’s comments that Marvel films aren’t real cinema.

“I mean that’s like saying Bugs Bunny ain’t funny. Films are films. Everybody doesn’t like his stuff either,” Jackson told Variety‘s Angelique Jackson at the grand opening of Tyler Perry’s new studio in Atlanta, Ga. “Everybody’s got an opinion, so I mean it’s okay. Ain’t going to stop nobody from making movies.”

Jackson’s comments were in response to an interview Scorsese gave Empire magazine, in which “The Irishman” filmmaker likened the superhero films to theme parks.

“I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema,” Scorsese said. “Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

Earlier on the carpet, Jackson praised Perry, the evening’s man of the hour, calling him both “a real one” and “a real anomaly.”

“Everybody has dreams about things they want to do and what they hope to accomplish. Tyler has been one of those visionaries that taps into his visions and makes them happen,” Jackson said. “And that’s amazing. Everybody doesn’t have that acumen.”

The Marvel actor also shared his surprise that his Nick Fury alter ego hasn’t made an appearance in the “Black Panther” futuristic city of Wakanda; although he hopes that changes soon.

“How did Nick Fury not end up in Wakanda?,” Jackson said. “I’m sure he’s been there, at least to the club.”

how did nick fury become a negro when for decades he was white???

:D

and he smoked cigars too.

Image result for nick fury white

40 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

how did nick fury become a negro when for decades he was white???

It's a code name for SHIELD, that white David-Hasselhoff Nick passed on to black SLJ Nick in the comics when the old one retired.

Sort of like how there was no actual "Joe" in the GI Joe team.

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Cassandra Crossing

It's on Amazon--One of those great 70's ITV epics designed for international release, with, as Roger Ebert often joked, "Little pictures of the stars at the bottom of the poster".  And yes, Richard Harris is the hero and Sophia Loren is in it, so that's how you know.

5 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

I don't like superhero movies, either, but this just reeks of snobbery. Did he miss how Iron Man spent nearly as much time on letting viewers get to know its main character as it did on action sequences?

Because, like most folks, he doesn't know enough about them to tell one studio's from another's.  (Quick, who released "Spiderman: Far From Home"?)

The buzzword of "Superhero fatigue" used to be even worse when we still had Fox and the X-Men to kick around, but now we've still got Warner just throwing any DC hero--or villain--at the wall to see who'll stick, and Sony having another lover's-spat with Disney/Marvel over who gets custody of the Spider, and, like most divorced parents fighting over the kids, trying to competitively show off how cool they are on their own.

We had this EXACT same problem back in the early 00's, when nobody could tell one CGI-animated studio from another, all five or six studios were throwing them at us, and all we wanted was "That one good studio that made Toy Story and Shrek![sic]"  And everyone else who didn't just played Hip Victim and said "They ALL stink, throw 'em out!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

It's on Amazon--One of those great 70's ITV epics designed for international release, with, as Roger Ebert often joked, "Little pictures of the stars at the bottom of the poster".  And yes, Richard Harris is the hero and Sophia Loren is in it, so that's how you know.

And Martin Sheen in his tighty-whities.

7 hours ago, cody1949 said:

The problem is there is just too much of them between January and September.  The movies for adult adults are scheduled for Fall through Christmas to be fresh in the minds of Academy members for Oscar awards. The 

Actually its after Easter till September. And it only changes because the kids are back at school and days are shorter.

Funny you should say this. I took my older brother to see the first Avengers film. We both loved it ! He wanted to see it again so he told one of his friends. The friend had the same attitude as you " that's for kids !!". My brother dragged him to the movie anyways. The friend was bumping elbows and laughing the whole time. The friend ended up grabbing his grandson so he would have an "excuse" to see it again :lol:.

I like Scorsese and his films. But, it its not his taste, best to just leave  it alone. There are plenty of classic films that people today rave about. Yet, at the time they were released, there were those who criticized them. To me it just smells of elitism or even jealousy.

This "upper class vs. lower class" debate has gone on a long as there have been classes. All it does it separate people.

• Like 1