Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gershwin fan

Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

I think movies can be made with a mixture of action along with character development (BEN-HUR, SPARTACUS, BRAVEHEART, GLADIATOR, The GODFATHER films have proven this).

I like movies that concentrate on story and fleshing out the characters, but I also admit I do like some movies with a whole lot of action even if the main characters are a bit bland.

I'm not a fan of the Marvel films myself, but there are many people who are and do consider them 'cinema' even if Scorsese doesn't. It all comes down to personal opinion.

54 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Netflix vs. Disney?

Regardless of branding (I'd have to look into this), one would need to follow the money beyond that.  Who are the majority shareholders.  There is probably also some analog to be had in there to the price of streaming video , as you see prices for streaming settle in as the corporations set their pricing according to what the market will bear.

P.S. In short, how much of their crap are people going to be willing to put up with.

4 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Regardless of branding (I'd have to look into this), there is probably also some analog to be had in there to the price of streaming video , as you see prices for streaming settle in as the corporations set their pricing according to what the market will bear.

I recently read a comment claiming YouTube TV looses $5 a month per sub. Sony's PlayStation Vue is shutting down. The comment suggests YouTube TV will need to up their price from $50 to $60/month or drop broadcast TV channels. That is just a single poster's comment on Cord Cutters News.

The Comcast tech who replaced my cable box said TV is not where Comcast makes money. In my opinion Disney+ will make a small profit from a lot of customers. If not, expect a price increase.

AT&T TV Now, the new name for their streaming service, is increasing by $15 this month.

6 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I recently read a comment claiming YouTube TV looses $5 a month per sub. Sony's PlayStation Vue is shutting down. The comment suggests YouTube TV will need to up their price from $50 to $60/month or drop broadcast TV channels. That is just a single poster's comment on Cord Cutters News.

Playstation Vue was a disaster--an idea born back before the '10 streaming rush, when game consoles had their own private download stores, and thought they were offering streaming content "exclusively" because their consoles could stream the Internet--wasn't initially available outside of a few select cities, required high gamer bandwidth, and was already being pushed out by Sling and other Internet-TV companies.

As for YouTubeTV...I can hope this will finally convince them that no Internet user who has ever used YouTube has ever had the slightest inclination of paying for it (which includes "Original YouTube programming", and studios offering VOD movies), but I fear that may be too unrealistically optimistic.  :huh:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

As for YouTubeTV...I can hope this will finally convince them that no Internet user who has ever used YouTube has ever had the slightest inclination of paying for it (which includes "Original YouTube programming", and studios offering VOD movies), but I fear that may be too unrealistically optimistic.  :huh:

YouTube TV also has TV channels though which I suspect is a big draw.

On 11/10/2019 at 5:59 PM, overeasy said:

There was a time when movies were based on genuine novels and plays that had been carefully crafted and parsed by their authors, editors and finally, the public.  Much of cinema used this great source material.  Certainly, the screenwriters and filmmakers managed to muck it up quite a bit from time to time, ("The book is better...") yet it was a deep well of material that, due to its tendency to include a first, second and third act, adapted well to the screen.

Fast forward.  Now the source material is a comic book or "graphic novel."  I'm going to say this straight out;  this stuff is c*ap.  The characters are simplistic, as are the plots.  That's what Marty is responding to.  The infantilization of the media.  Stories that have no narrative heft.  Stories that are pure adrenaline, but leave you with nothing.  Over-caffeinated CGI-fests.  It's dreck and he and Coppola know it.  Current directors aren't going to say that, because they fear the blowback in today's snowflake world.

Flame away, if you must.

I think that the problem has been coming for a long time, but its only exploded in the last decade or so. Part of the reason why so many major studio films are the way they are is because of how blazing the Indie boom was in the 90s. Especially at Miramax. With the studios wanting to cater more to younger demographics, they relegated most of the "movies for grownups" to the indie studios.  And then everything was in a holding pattern until the stock market crash in 2007. Many independents shuttered then and the major studios, by then used to blockbusters being their biggest, cut back on "riskier" titles, aka the dramas adults like. Then the comedies went. And streaming came. And the indies grew even smaller. So now, most of the big films meant for adults are released in the last quarter of the year, and you need to watch carefully because some come and go in a flash.

• Like 1

It is quite obvious for financial reasons. The majority of the movies that come out in first 9 or 10 months of the year are aimed at children and adults with a child-like  brain.