Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

EXTERIOR SHOT OF CARFAX ABBEY IN SPANISH DRACULA

I think my favorite favorite favorite thing about 1931 SPANISH DRACULA is the EXTERIOR SHOT of CARFAX ABBEY on a cliffside overlooking a STORMY SEA. I have no idea how the effect was achieved, but I presume it was originally included in the ENGLISH LANGUAGE VERSION of DRACULA as well, but was among the footage excised right after previews (heartbreakingly so, as it ADDS SO MUCH and helps to break the static, stagebound nature of the film.

CAN ANYONE LOCATE A PHOTO OF THE SHOT? I KNOW USED TO, EITHER BING OR GOOGLE IMAGES HAD ONE UNDER "CARFAX ABBEY SPANISH DRACULA EXTERIOR"- but i went and searched and came up with nada.

i

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think my favorite favorite favorite thing about 1931 SPANISH DRACULA is the EXTERIOR SHOT of CARFAX ABBEY on a cliffside overlooking a STORMY SEA. I have no idea how the effect was achieved, but I presume it was originally included in the ENGLISH LANGUAGE VERSION of DRACULA as well, but was among the footage excised right after previews (heartbreakingly so, as it ADDS SO MUCH and helps to break the static, stagebound nature of the film.

CAN ANYONE LOCATE A PHOTO OF THE SHOT? I KNOW USED TO, EITHER BING OR GOOGLE IMAGES HAD ONE UNDER "CARFAX ABBEY SPANISH DRACULA EXTERIOR"- but i went and searched and came up with nada.

It's been a long time since I watched the Spanish version, so I'm not sure what it looked like.

Is this it?

Dracula-5.jpg?resize=600,375

22 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

It's been a long time since I watched the Spanish version, so I'm not sure what it looked like.

Is this it?

Dracula-5.jpg?resize=600,375

nah, that's DRACULA'S CASTLE as seen in one shot at the beginning of both versions (and has always confused me a tad as it doesn't quite match an earlier exterior where it looks even bigger)

but thanks- tHE exterior shot of CARFAX ABBEY in SPANISH DRACULA is SO NOTEWORTHY- Because you actually see waves crashing on rocks in it, IT reminds me a bit of the CASTLE at the end of WHITE ZOMBIE

Yeah, I remember this shot of Castle Dracula:

Dracmatte2.jpg

But not the one I posted earlier.

The image occurs at 2:07 in the video below, from the DVD extra THE ROAD TO DRACULA...

THERE USED TO BE A STILL PHOTO OF IT ON THE INTERNET THOUGH

• Thanks 1

PS- THE QUALITY OF the shot they use in the documentary is the UNRESTORED FOOTAGE. SPANISH DRACULA also got a complete restoration a few years ago- and in the new version the scene is STUNNINGLY CLEAR.