Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

Paul Muni the anti movie star

Just caught some of a Paul Muni-(l895-l967) film on TCM & it reminded me of a couple things, he was vey well known to prefer stage to film & his wife was always said to be n the set & even almost under the camera cooking Hungarian dishes while shooting   Virtually all don't even know who he was except for 1932's Hawks & Hughes version of Scarface: Shame of a Nation (UA) (****-stars!) Then if you mention it they immediately think of *Pacino's '83 version instead  He was said to be a difficult performer too, though a great actor & the actual first method actor but from the Yiddish theatre instead  Only made about 22 films overall  He didn't even register as an example in 1999's AFIs 100yrs...100 Stars top 25 actors.  Very little is known about *Muni, perhaps the way he wanted it. Never had the following of a *Bogey, *Tracy, *Wayne,etc  Though one hold out is *Rod Steger (l925-2002) who always called him his idol. A kinda humorous story, I w2as inside Hollywood Forever, cem several times due to it being right next to Paramount & my motel & smaller at 62 acres then Gendale's 320. & they have a neat computer fir fans to locate each individual, well my friend & I looked up his name, no go  His name was Muni Wiesenfreund instead  The vast majority of Oscar pundits were stunned when for 1937 he lost to *Tracy in Captains Courageous over his BP winning *Zola, they were certain he'd win 2nd consecutive Best Actor Oscars  Of course winning the previous year for Story of Louis Pasteur  The NYFCC did vote for him though for *Emile Zola instead Strangely The Great: Spencer Tracy never got a New York Film Critics award though?

(TRIVIA: Due to the media mess & coverage of the 1934 Academy awards i.e *Bette Davis snubbed for Of Human Bondage & Myrna Loy in The Thin Man, the following 2yrs the AMPAS/L/B Mayer allowed wrute-ins & Muni was very close to winning, though not nommed for '35's Black fury)

THANK YOU

• Thanks 1

:D  Sure.  And don't forget that immortal line delivered by PETER O'TOOLE in MY FAVORITE YEAR.....

"I'm not an actor, I'm a MOVIE STAR!"  :D 

I first became familiar with who(and what) PAUL MUNI was when local movie host BILL KENNEDY went on about him, using the term, "actor's actor" to describe him.  The movie he was showing was JUAREZ with Muni in the title role.  Kennedy gushed over Muni on other occasions, like when he presented(and my 1st viewing of) I WAS A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG and later, when Muni did the role of FREDERIC CHOPIN's teacher Josef Elsner.  That was back in my high school days, and it was many more years later I was able to catch Muni in other movies.  Always enjoyed his work, except for THE LAST ANGRY MAN, which wasn't really his fault, as it was a pee-poor adaptation of the novel, and Muni was a bit too young for the character(IMO) .

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Paul Muni seemed to aim for absolute authenticity in his roles, almost seeming to obliterate any notion that he really is in fact Paul Muni. His appearance on screen exudes this obsession. If they needed a fancy chair for a scene, he could probably play it, and with relish. I don't know if I just made up that joke, or if I read it elsewhere. It seems clear that his total immersion into a role is significantly contingent on his get up for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:D  Sure.  And don't forget that immortal line delivered by PETER O'TOOLE in MY FAVORITE YEAR.....

"I'm not an actor, I'm a MOVIE STAR!"  :D 

I first became familiar with who(and what) PAUL MUNI was when local movie host BILL KENNEDY went on about him, using the term, "actor's actor" to describe him.  The movie he was showing was JUAREZ with Muni in the title role.  Kennedy gushed over Muni on other occasions, like when he presented(and my 1st viewing of) I WAS A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG and later, when Muni did the role of FREDERIC CHOPIN's teacher Josef Elsner.  That was back in my high school days, and it was many more years later I was able to catch Muni in other movies.  Always enjoyed his work, except for THE LAST ANGRY MAN, which wasn't really his fault, as it was a pee-poor adaptation of the novel, and Muni was a bit too young for the character(IMO) .

Sepiatone

His last film role was Last Angry Man (***) & snagged his 5th nomination for it   It's been remade at least once

7 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

"I think 'star' is what you call actors who can't act." ~Paul Muni

WOW, don't agree at all, look at all the acting heavyweights that were also stars   Or, was that a quote from him?

paul muni was a very great actor. watched the valiant last nite and I wish he woulda admitted to his sister who he was and the actress who played her was hot.

:)

if he wasn't her brother than what was his reason for hiding his identity? at the closing shot of his mother in her wheelchair comforted with the thought her son died a doughboy hero I thought the picture of muni in his WWI uniform was unintentionally funny with that grin.

:lol:

I watched "The Valiant" last night as I know it's Paul Muni's film debut and a rare Fox film but I found the actors very corny in delivering their lines (other than Muni himself). They were too dramatic and every word they said came out as over-emphasized. I assume it's because this film was one of the earliest talkies and the actors didn't know how to deliver their lines in a natural tone. 

Does anyone know why "The Woman I Love" is never shown. It's a Paul Muni film from 1937 with a great cast including Miriam Hopkins, Louis Hayward and Colin Clive in his final film role. It's an RKO film so it should be easy for TCM to obtain and there are movie reviews for it in the IMBD. So what's the problem?

15 hours ago, spence said:

WOW, don't agree at all, look at all the acting heavyweights that were also stars   Or, was that a quote from him?

Yes, it was.

Jack Warner to Hal Wallis on Paul Muni about Pasteur :Who would want to see a movie about a chemist?” or the New York office “Who'd want to see a picture about pasteurized milk? And after the release Warner said:Every time Paul Muni parts his beard and looks through a microscope, we lose a million dollars.".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nakano said:

Jack Warner to Hal Wallis on Paul Muni about Pasteur :Who would want to see a movie about a chemist?” or the New York office “Who'd want to see a picture about pasteurized milk? And after the release Warner said:Every time Paul Muni parts his beard and looks through a microscope, we lose a million dollars.".

I always watch it and consider it a great biopic. they made the story compelling with the ignorance that muni's heroic Pasteur had to combat.

an excellent film so jack warner can just turn ;) in his grave.

18 hours ago, spence said:

His last film role was Last Angry Man (***) & snagged his 5th nomination for it   It's been remade at least once

You seem to put a lot of stock in the idea that because a movie or an actor/actress gets an Academy award nomination that the rest of us have to fall in line and blithely go along in thinking it, he or she was "great".   

But in the case of "Angry Man" Muni should have been nominated only on the basis of being able to rise above the dismal material he had to work with.  

Sepiatone

On 10/8/2019 at 3:30 AM, spence said:

Just caught some of a Paul Muni-(l895-l967) film on TCM & it reminded me of a couple things, he was vey well known to prefer stage to film & his wife was always said to be n the set & even almost under the camera cooking Hungarian dishes while shooting   Virtually all don't even know who he was except for 1932's Hawks & Hughes version of Scarface: Shame of a Nation (UA) (****-stars!) Then if you mention it they immediately think of *Pacino's '83 version instead  He was said to be a difficult performer too, though a great actor & the actual first method actor but from the Yiddish theatre instead  Only made about 22 films overall  He didn't even register as an example in 1999's AFIs 100yrs...100 Stars top 25 actors.  Very little is known about *Muni, perhaps the way he wanted it. Never had the following of a *Bogey, *Tracy, *Wayne,etc  Though one hold out is *Rod Steger (l925-2002) who always called him his idol. A kinda humorous story, I w2as inside Hollywood Forever, cem several times due to it being right next to Paramount & my motel & smaller at 62 acres then Gendale's 320. & they have a neat computer fir fans to locate each individual, well my friend & I looked up his name, no go  His name was Muni Wiesenfreund instead  The vast majority of Oscar pundits were stunned when for 1937 he lost to *Tracy in Captains Courageous over his BP winning *Zola, they were certain he'd win 2nd consecutive Best Actor Oscars  Of course winning the previous year for Story of Louis Pasteur  The NYFCC did vote for him though for *Emile Zola instead Strangely The Great: Spencer Tracy never got a New York Film Critics award though?

(TRIVIA: Due to the media mess & coverage of the 1934 Academy awards i.e *Bette Davis snubbed for Of Human Bondage & Myrna Loy in The Thin Man, the following 2yrs the AMPAS/L/B Mayer allowed wrute-ins & Muni was very close to winning, though not nommed for '35's Black fury)

THANK YOU

Spence, interesting synopsis..... I always wondered why Tracy and Hepburn were so caustic against Paul Muni. It was as if they had no respect for him or his acting ability.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:40 AM, nakano said:

LOL!