Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

"Movie" v "Film".

12 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

some of them might be, actually. i haven't checked who's taking part yet (we have over 220 members now so it's sometimes hard to keep track haha). 

Wow 220 people? Is this just something you're doing in your free time? Or is it part of a class?

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Wow 220 people? Is this just something you're doing in your free time? Or is it part of a class?

Just something I do in my free time. It's basically all online, so we have members from all over the world. It was started by a couple college students. We all use the Letterboxd website to share reviews and lists, etc, and then we have a Discord server (a computer program that's primarily used for gaming, but it serves as a chat forum), where we all interact with each other :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Just something I do in my free time. It's basically all online, so we have members from all over the world. It was started by a couple college students. We all use the Letterboxd website to share reviews and lists, etc, and then we have a Discord server (a computer program that's primarily used for gaming, but it serves as a chat forum), where we all interact with each other :) 

I'm on Letterboxd too.  Except I don't have any friends lol. I always forget about it. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Is this a group that anyone can join or is it restricted to college aged? I'm a few years (give or take, more give than take lol) removed from the college scene. 

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Is this a group that anyone can join or is it restricted to college aged? I'm a few years (give or take, lol) removed from the college scene. 

Anyone can join :) we have members in their 30s and 40s as well, so no restrictions whatsoever on who can join. in order to not completely derail the original thread, if anyone's interested in joining or learning more about the club this is a PSA: feel free to private message me on here 🤗

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I agree saying "film" is a bit of a misnomer, but I will use it as a synonym.  The Hollywood Theater in Portland actually does show classics on 35mm, so I suppose if I were seeing one of those movies, I could say "film." I also enjoy the term "moving pictures." 

I use my phone everyday and actually wish I could remove the phone component, lol. That's only because I absolutely despise speaking on the phone. I decline every single call I receive unless the name of someone I know pops up on the screen. I don't have voice mail set up, because I don't want to listen to the message or return the call.  I try not to bury my face in my phone though--especially if I'm out to dinner with my husband or something. I use my phone during the day at work to listen to podcasts and music.  It's also nice being able to look up things on the fly and utilize things like Google Maps when driving around. I don't typically use my phone for watching movies or anything, but will occasionally watch shows on Hulu on my phone while I'm working. 

A phone-related term that is used that is also a misnomer is "hang-up" or "dial." 

I don't actually have a smart phone.  Just a flip phone.  I don't use voice mail either.  Like you, if I see someone I know called, I will pick up if available.  Otherwise the caller ID works just fine.  Also I don't do texting, but from what I see of others that is a mighty short leash.

For me I still do most of those other common things on a laptop computer.  I just never offloaded those things to a phone.  The exception being an actual GPS - I have a stand-alone Rand McNally GPS with a 7" screen which has come in handy on some recent road trips.

It baffles me to see what others go through when their smart phones die and they lose their only copy of their contacts and other personal information.  One of my best friends just had this happen.  About 300 phone numbers.  *Poof*  He didn't listen.

Of course there is "the cloud", for those who are too damn lazy to offload their data to their own computer or just write it down somewhere.  Which apparently is enough people to support an entire industry.  http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

1 minute ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I don't actually have a smart phone.  Just a flip phone.  I don't use voice mail either.  Like you, if I see someone I know called, I will pick up if available.  Otherwise the caller ID works just fine.  Also I don't do texting, but from what I see of others that is a mighty short leash.

For me I still do most of those other common things on a laptop computer.  I just never offloaded those things to a phone.  The exception being an actual GPS - I have a stand-alone Rand McNally GPS with a 7" screen which has come in handy on some recent road trips.

It baffles me to see what others go through when their smart phones die and they lose their only copy of their contacts and other personal information.  One of my best friends just had this happen.  About 300 phone numbers.  *Poof*  He didn't listen.

Of course there is "the cloud", for those who are too damn lazy to offload their data to their own computer or just write it down somewhere.  Which apparently is enough people to support an entire industry.  http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

I use text all the time.  I like it for when I need to ask someone a question, but don't need an answer right that minute, such as the ever popular "what do you want for dinner?" I also use my camera to take funny pictures of things or pictures of the bird to send to select people. I very rarely (if ever) take selfies.  I definitely do not need a million pictures of myself on the internet. 

I use my phone to read directions to me.  I changed Siri's voice from the default female American voice to the male Australian Siri.  It was much more pleasant to listen to. 

Fortunately, I have managed to memorize the phone numbers that are important to me.  The other phone numbers I have are for people I am in contact with (or can be in contact with) on a regular basis. I don't need or want everyone's phone numbers in my phone.

I know all about "the Cloud."  I work in the Logistics/Transportation industry and we have one major customer who has just moved their entire inventory management software to "the cloud" and they are only building cloud-based mainframes for their customers.  We also provide transportation services for a major company where we run server racks back and forth between Portland and four different cloud farms in Eastern Oregon. 

9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Agreed. That said, remember "movie" is a shortened nick name for "moving pictures" a thoroughly charming old fashioned term. Since there is scant film actually used these days, "film" has become an erroneous term, hasn't it?

The way people's faces are planted in their phones, we may as well start calling it the "hand held mind meld" since it's no longer a telephone.

I don't consider the etymology of the word "movie" though, as it is still in current use.

The word "film" may or may not be on its way out.  As "content", probably not.  For "distribution medium", who knows.  The LOC and film archives will always have film, as I understand they make a film copy even for more current digitally produced movies.  Then there are still a few directors who use film cameras, even though they are edited and exhibited in the digital domain.  Quentin Tarantino comes to mind.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I use text all the time.  I like it for when I need to ask someone a question, but don't need an answer right that minute, such as the ever popular "what do you want for dinner?" I also use my camera to take funny pictures of things or pictures of the bird to send to select people. I very rarely (if ever) take selfies.  I definitely do not need a million pictures of myself on the internet. 

I use my phone to read directions to me.  I changed Siri's voice from the default female American voice to the male Australian Siri.  It was much more pleasant to listen to. 

Fortunately, I have managed to memorize the phone numbers that are important to me.  The other phone numbers I have are for people I am in contact with (or can be in contact with) on a regular basis. I don't need or want everyone's phone numbers in my phone.

I know all about "the Cloud."  I work in the Logistics/Transportation industry and we have one major customer who has just moved their entire inventory management software to "the cloud" and they are only building cloud-based mainframes for their customers.  We also provide transportation services for a major company where we run server racks back and forth between Portland and four different cloud farms in Eastern Oregon. 

By design, "The Cloud" has also become a catch-all term for the consumer market to sell storage as a "service", at a premium rate, until they decide not to anymore.  The customer needs to stay on top of things and read the fine print as this is subject to change at any time.  I am speaking of Amazon, Apple, and other large tech companies that offer this to the average consumer and have cozy intimate relationships with China. 

Large companies like GE have been doing what you are talking about internally and also externally for a while now, they have adopted that as a catch-phrase, even though they are just running their own machines as always.  So outside of a rebranding by consensus, what's the difference there.

24 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

By design, "The Cloud" has also become a catch-all term for the consumer market to sell storage as a "service", at a premium rate, until they decide not to anymore.  The customer needs to stay on top of things and read the fine print as this is subject to change at any time.  I am speaking of Amazon, Apple, and other large tech companies that offer this to the average consumer and have cozy intimate relationships with China. 

Large companies like GE have been doing what you are talking about internally and also externally for a while now, they have adopted that as a catch-phrase, even though they are just running their own machines as always.  So outside of a rebranding by consensus, what's the difference there.

Is there an economic benefit to utilizing cloud-based software and storage? Perhaps since the manufacturer doesn't have to physically manufacture software, and can continually update existing software via updates and patches? Then they don't have to produce such large hard drives, as everything can be stored in a server farm somewhere... 

I don't really know. I just write logistics and transportation procedures related to warehousing and transportation and the other various tasks our company does on a regular basis. 

10 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Is there an economic benefit to utilizing cloud-based software and storage? Perhaps since the manufacturer doesn't have to physically manufacture software, and can continually update existing software via updates and patches? Then they don't have to produce such large hard drives, as everything can be stored in a server farm somewhere... 

I don't really know. I just write logistics and transportation procedures related to warehousing and transportation and the other various tasks our company does on a regular basis. 

It's hit or miss.  Completely depends on the due diligence of those who maintain them.  The server farms are just large groups of rack-mountable computers with large hard drives that are permanently installed in 19" equipment racks, in a secured location.

P.S. I'm just waiting for a delivery today.  No idea how much longer will it be. ;)

1 minute ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

It's hit or miss.  Completely depends on the due diligence of those who maintain them.  The server farms are just large groups of rack-mountable computers with large hard drives that are permanently installed in 19" equipment racks, in a secured location.

P.S. I'm just waiting for a delivery today.  No idea how much longer will it be. ;)

Hopefully it's not arriving UPS... Who knows when they'll show up! o.O

10 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

You mean the Tootsie Roll® company?

UPS might not be as bad as Tootsie Rolls.

Terrible candy. 

39 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

UPS might not be as bad as Tootsie Rolls.

Terrible candy. 

Years ago, a UPS delivery lady labeled herself that way because of her uniform color. I never forgot it. I was in the shipping business way before the UPS Store. Still not fond of Christmas. Early 1990s, about the time 3-Day was created.

I often use the phrase movie myself, it's what I've said since I was little and I'm used to saying it. Film, I've used that as well, but that feels more formal really, and in some ways, at least in my eyes, you need to be a bit informal when watching movies. I feel the best way to enjoy them is to just see what happens and proceed with an air of curiosity to see if the film engages your emotions or not.

Like many of you, I've noticed especially on these boards, I use the two words interchangeably so as to avoid saying one of them too may times in one post. But yeah, I grew up with some sort of implicit understanding that "film" had a more highbrow connotation. We talk about "film history" and "foreign film" and "art films" and "the greatest films of all time", but we "go to the movies" on the weekends.

Having read all these posts, I think it's interesting to note the network these message boards are theoretically about chose to label themselves as "TCM" and not "TCF".

• Like 3

I tend to use the word film in the general sense like  "Classic film"

But, for a particular film, I'll use the word "movie"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Hopefully it's not arriving UPS

Stands for U People Stink. I've never seen such carelessness with packages in my life. Every package is insured, but they count on no one ever "claiming" since it's nearly impossible to receive reimbursement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Stands for U People Stink. I've never seen such carelessness with packages in my life. Every package is insured, but they count on no one ever "claiming" since it's nearly impossible to receive reimbursement.

Rm5xKWl.jpg?1

• Haha 1