Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

"Movie" v "Film".

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Stands for U People Stink. I've never seen such carelessness with packages in my life. Every package is insured, but they count on no one ever "claiming" since it's nearly impossible to receive reimbursement.

You should see the state of their parcel trucks. All the packages are just in a big pile.  Fragile? Expensive? Doesn't  matter. It goes in the pile.  Large heavy box and small fragile box on the same delivery? No worries, we'll stack the heavy box on top of the small box, smashing everything inside.  I have seen and signed for a lot of UPS parcel trucks in my lifetime. 

To quote Ethel Mertz:

"I could have loaded it better with a pitchfork." 

• Like 2

UPS used to deliver my wife's Jevity cases.  They always did arrive in good condition, but I wouldn't know they were delivered until I opened the front door for some reason and saw them on the porch.  No knock on the door or any other signal to let me know they were there.  And once, they piled them up on the side of the house.  If it wasn't for a neighbor coming over to let me know, they might have been there a day or two! :o

Sepiatone

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

UPS used to deliver my wife's Jevity cases.  They always did arrive in good condition, but I wouldn't know they were delivered until I opened the front door for some reason and saw them on the porch.  No knock on the door or any other signal to let me know they were there.  And once, they piled them up on the side of the house.  If it wasn't for a neighbor coming over to let me know, they might have been there a day or two! :o

Sepiatone

They once tried to hide the carton I received under my doormat. Because that doesn't look obvious. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

You should see the state of their parcel trucks. All the packages are just in a big pile.  Fragile? Expensive? Doesn't  matter. It goes in the pile.  Large heavy box and small fragile box on the same delivery? No worries, we'll stack the heavy box on top of the small box, smashing everything inside.  I have seen and signed for a lot of UPS parcel trucks in my lifetime. 

To quote Ethel Mertz:

"I could have loaded it better with a pitchfork." 

Well my delivery came yesterday via UPS unharmed.

Years ago, some people I used to work with in live event production would refer to "UPS" phonetically as "Oops".  They essentially operate a materials handling/moving service of their own, semi container trucks and all.

5 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Years ago, some people I used to work with in live event production would refer to "UPS" phonetically as "Oops".  They essentially operate a materials handling/moving service of their own, semi container trucks and all.

My favorite UPS moment is them delivering multiple $10,000 cartons of DDR (whatever number) memory cards to my warehouse by just throwing the cartons outside the door and bailing.  They don't ring the doorbell. They don't knock on any of the 8 doors in front of the area. Nothing.  It was only because I happened to see the cartons, while WALKING BY (not even my department). Only to find out later that the driver had signed my name to the POD (driver knew my name because I used to be the supervisor of the department for 7 years; but hadn't worked in the department for like 2 years at that point)! Who knows what other craziness I signed for?

Ooh I chewed out the driver when I saw him again. 

19 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

A UPS driver once told me fragile meant pitch it underhand. There was also an old joke claiming FedEx and UPS would merge ..... FedUp. DHL = Dewey-Huey-Louie.

15 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

My favorite UPS moment is them delivering multiple $10,000 cartons of DDR (whatever number) memory cards to my warehouse by just throwing the cartons outside the door and bailing.  They don't ring the doorbell. They don't knock on any of the 8 doors in front of the area. Nothing.  It was only because I happened to see the cartons, while WALKING BY (not even my department). Only to find out later that the driver had signed my name to the POD (driver knew my name because I used to be the supervisor of the department for 7 years; but hadn't worked in the department for like 2 years at that point)! Who knows what other craziness I signed for?

Ooh I chewed out the driver when I saw him again. 

Now there's just no good excuse for that...

I have heard of people who use a soggy reused single-wall box, expect it to get there in one piece, and then complain about it when there is an issue.  These usually stand out because they look like a ball of tape, after all the "patchwork" at the terminals.  They should pick up on this at the shipping desk, but sometimes it doesn't happen.  If the loaders are careful, they will put these in last at the top of the truck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

A UPS driver once told me fragile meant pitch it underhand. There was also an old joke claiming FedEx and UPS would merge ..... FedUp. DHL = Dewey-Huey-Louie.

I think most of the UPS damages usually occur at the larger terminals and distribution centers, when packages are transferred from one semi truck to another. 

The distribution center is a large matrix of conveyor belts, starting with people pulling the boxes off of trucks and dropping them onto conveyor belts that start at their truck and extend further into the truck as they unpack it.  Then all these belts dump onto larger belts.  

Other people down the line sort them by zip code/region as they go by.  Each sorter has a supply conveyor belt that goes round and round, and about 6 small conveyor belts that begin in front of them.

One of the belts for each sorter is for local delivery.  That eventually makes it down to a ground-level belt that goes round and round like a baggage claim at an airport.  The local delivery guys pull their little brown package delivery trucks into the terminal and right up to that at loading time, and each loads their own truck.

Then across the building there is another group of sorters (called picks) that pull packages off the main belts and put them onto smaller belts which go to the exact truck.  Each pick does a handful of trucks at a time.  Then they are loaded onto the trucks by the loaders.. 

There are about 3x as many loading docks as unloading docks, as it takes about 3x more time to pack a truck as it does to unload it. 

A shift is 4 hours, as the work is nonstop.  That is what major UPS distribution centers were like back in the late 80s/early 90s.  Probably not a whole lot has changed with the larger packages.  The smallest packages and envelopes are transferred to USPS for delivery and are probably all auto-sorted by now.

The local package delivery guys have a relatively easy job, but more responsibility, as they are on their own.  They have worked there longer and have worked their way up from the package handling jobs.

It isn't those brown UPS package delivery trucks that have the craziest drivers.  It is now the black-ish Amazon delivery vans, now seen in metro areas that have an Amazon distro center.  One can only imagine what constraints Bezos lays on them.  Gotta watch out for them, they are in a hurry!