Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oscar telecast is earlier now, how does this affect TCM's programming?

I just looked up when the Oscar Awards show will be telecast. It will occur on February 9, 2020.

It was February 24, 2019 last year. Not sure why they've moved it up more than two weeks.

So when TCM begins its annual 31 Days of Oscar on February 1, the telecast will take place shortly afterward.

Won't it seem strange to still be celebrating 31 Days of Oscar in early March, a month later?

Thoughts...

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I just looked up when the Oscar Awards show will be telecast. It will occur on February 9, 2020.

It was February 24, 2019 last year. Not sure why they've moved it up more than two weeks.

So when TCM begins its annual 31 Days of Oscar on February 1, the telecast will take place shortly afterward.

Won't it seem strange to still be celebrating 31 Days of Oscar in early March, a month later?

Thoughts...

The Academy has longed to throw a monkey wrench into the glut of other awards shows by holding the Oscars earlier. But the Winter Olympics, Super Bowls and national holidays will move the AAs to February 28 in 2021 and February 27 in 2022.

TCM might be able to get away with "29 Days of Oscar" in February.

4 minutes ago, jakeem said:

The Academy has longed to throw a monkey wrench into the glut of other awards shows by holding the Oscars earlier. But the Winter Olympics, Super Bowls and national holidays will move the AAs to February 28 in 2021 and February 27 in 2022.

TCM might be able to get away with "29 Days of Oscar" in February.

Thanks Jake. Welcome back, by the way!

I don't remember the awards show ever being in early February before.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks Jake. Welcome back, by the way!

I don't remember the awards show ever being in early February before.

The Academy is serious about reclaiming the awards season spotlight from the other shows, so don't be surprised if the Oscars are held early in February in 2023.

(And thank you! It's great to be back.)

2 hours ago, JasonLeeIsAGod said:

When they moved it up TCM still did 31 Days of Oscar even though there were only 28 days in the month so I'm guessing they'll still do the same thing or maybe move it to January.

The January schedule is already posted online and there are no Oscar-related themes. I am sure it will start on February 1st.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I thought they were going to be busy watching Svengoolie. :) 

I would cut the cord, but Svengoolie (MeTV) does not stream. COZI does. FETV doesn't.

I can't see any reason for The Oscar's being earlier having an an impact on 31 Days.

Maybe we could use a thread about alternative ways to keep TCM without complaining.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

February is still going to be Oscar month on TCM. It's just that for most of us diehard viewers, we will have seen most of the titles airing by now.....

Yes. For years now, some of us have been begging them to scale it back, just do it in primetime and free up the daytime schedule for February birthday tributes.

• Like 1
Just now, TopBilled said:

Yes. For years now, some of us have been begging them to scale it back, just do it in primetime and free up the daytime schedule for February birthday tributes.

Justice for Ida Lupino! Truly though as somnebody born in February and as a big fan of Miss Lupino I agree.

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Justice for Ida Lupino! Truly though as somnebody born in February and as a big fan of Miss Lupino I agree.

It also means that a star who has their 100th birthday in February can never be Star of the Month on their milestone birthday. 

At least in August, during Summer Under the Stars, they were able to set a whole day aside for Van Johnson on his 100th. But someone like Ann Sheridan, whose hundredth birthday was in February, had to wait until June for a special primetime spotlight. 

Their "obsession" with Oscar for 31 days, 24 hours each day, is in my humble opinion-- overkill. 

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

When I saw this thread, I was coming on here to suggest the exact same thing: scaling back the Oscar feature.  There are only a finite group of films to choose from.  It gets very redundant. I also feel like probably almost all of the Oscar-winning/Oscar-nominated films are probably fairly easy to access. 

If they have to have an Oscar feature, I wish that it would maybe be relegated to primetime, or even just do it as a weekly spotlight, like they do with their other themed spotlight programming.  

February people I would like to see featured:

Ida Lupino

Ann Sheridan

Clark Gable 

SZ Sakall

Bonita Granville

Peggy Ann Garner

Lana Turner

Jack Lemmon

Eddie Bracken

Ronald Colman

Kim Novak

Thelma Ritter

Cesar Romero

Vera-Ellen

Arthur Kennedy

Tony Randall

William Frawley

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

It also means that a star who has their 100th birthday in February can never be Star of the Month on their milestone birthday. 

At least in August, during Summer Under the Stars, they were able to set a whole day aside for Van Johnson on his 100th. But someone like Ann Sheridan, whose hundredth birthday was in February, had to wait until June for a special primetime spotlight. 

Their "obsession" with Oscar for 31 days, 24 hours each day, is in my humble opinion-- overkill. 

I get why it's in February, because the Oscars are in February...

But February doesn't even have 31 days.  It would have made more sense to devote January or March to the 31 day spotlight.  It makes about as much sense as February.

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

My birth month does not coincide with any special programming, but as a fan of Lupino, I would also be onboard.

11 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I get why it's in February, because the Oscars are in February...

But February doesn't even have 31 days.  It would have made more sense to devote January or March to the 31 day spotlight.  It makes about as much sense as February. 

Until 2003, the Oscar ceremony was typically held in late March - sometimes even in April. I believe TCM's month-long custom started during that time.

• Thanks 1