Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

Faust (1926)

because I and others no longer have tcm we will not be able to watch this excellent four star F.W. Murnau silent tonite.

thanks tcm.

"you win a cookie." -don rickles

Image result for don rickles kellys heroes

that's right so I downloaded it and will put it on a disc and watch it on my portable DVD player.

I woulda watched it tonite on tcm if I could have.

17 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I woulda watched it tonite on tcm if I could have.

Alas, poor Nip.

13 minutes ago, laffite said:

Alas, poor Nip.

TCM isn't gone, it just costs more. The $9.99 package is the least expensive cost, if you already have Xfinity/Comcast. Streaming TCM will cost at least $15/month:

https://www.attwatchtv.com/

Scroll down and click: Which channels do I get?

2 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

TCM isn't gone, it just costs more.

Alas ...

6 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I guess NipkowDisc needs to put a price on TCM's worth.

Or he could just watch them online for free like most people.

I glanced through the mp4 and I kinda lost interest and I ain't gonna go through the hassle of changing my cable package...

for what?

a channel that keeps drawing from it's forever unchanging coffer of films?

uh-uh, they can whistle for the extra ten dollars.

:D

5 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

a channel that keeps drawing from it's forever unchanging coffer of films?

Well, at least they showed that "excellent four-star silent of Murneau." Surely that's worth a dollar. All you have to do is find nine more each month to justify $10. I think you should shell out the dough. And if they ever show Hot Spell, that would probably worth a whole $10. :D;)

• Haha 1

Silent Sunday Nights is looking like it is going the same way of The Essentials, which Ava has turned into "Film School - You knew this was a bad idea". 

Apparently classic film is just not allowed to be "fun" anymore. Everything has to be "woke". I thought Faust was an ironic choice, and I couldn't help but think about Fred Astaire's speech in The Band Wagon (1953) when he tells off Jeff Cordova after their musical version of Faust lays an egg.

Give me Jeff Cordova's room, please.
Hello, Jeff. This is Tony.
Now, don't say anything. Just listen.
I'm here with all the kids,
and we've come to a decision.
We're not closing this show,
if you can call it a show. We're going on.
We're going to keep it on the road
and redo it from top to bottom.
It won't be a modern version of Faust...
Pilgrim 's Progress, or the Book of Job
in swing time.
It'll be our show,
the show we started out to do...
the book the Martons wrote,
with the songs you threw out.
It'll have laughs and entertainment.
You remember entertainment?
Look, we'd love to have you with us, Jeff.
But if you're not,
it won't make any difference.
We're going ahead just the same.
We're going to put this thing across,
aren't we, kids?

Faust is a great silent movie. One of Murnau's best, as well as Jannings. There's nothing "woke" or "film school" about it. Plus, it fits in with October, and the other Halloween-style programming. In fact, I don't see any other films scheduled for Silent Sunday for the rest of the year that suggest the idea that the programming is being changed substantially from what it has been previously

• Like 1

Well, you can't please everyone all at the same time.  But for me, even though TCM doesn't always show something that interests me,they do often enough for me to keep tuning in.  But then too, I don't pay extra for it and really can't  figure out what circumstances make it necessary for some of you.

Sepiatone

On 10/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, calvinnme said:

Silent Sunday Nights is looking like it is going the same way of The Essentials, which Ava has turned into "Film School - You knew this was a bad idea". 

Apparently classic film is just not allowed to be "fun" anymore. Everything has to be "woke".

Apparently classic film fans just can’t see the forest for the trees.  A few Chantal Akerman films, out of 300 some films a month, is really a huge problem?  If you can avoid them on Imports how do you struggle to do so on The Essentials?  So TCM is making Silent Sunday “woke” by...showing exactly the same films that they always do?  That’s exactly what the schedules for the next three months show.  I fail to see how showing those mediocre William Haines films again qualifies as forcing wokeness on anyone.  Someone there really likes Oscar Micheaux (an interesting figure but his films aren’t that great) enough to keep showing Symbol of the Unconquered perhaps more than it needs to be but otherwise it’s the same stuff TCM has always shown.  If it’s the intros, wow, it’s pretty easy to skip over them (you have a remote control for a reason, you’re not watching TCM on an old dial TV.)

If it’s not “fun” anymore, sorry, that’s you making a problem for yourself.