Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DJBeacon

Your Favorite Potent Potable with a Movie

Recommended Posts

TCM has a wine pairing with movies and wanted to see how fans feel about matching up some more potent beverages with their movies.

I'll start off with a few whiskies that are under $60:

1) sippin' on a spicy rye like High West's Double Rye with a good thriller, maybe even as a Manhattan

2) sippin' on a good, rounded bourbon like Buffalo Trace with a Western, maybe even on the rocks

3) sippin' on a non-peated scotch like Glendronach 12 year with a mystery

Get more specific if you like on pairing up with a certain movie and even chime in on a Martini or Gin & Tonic.

CHEERS and hope there is some interest!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even like martinis (well at least gin ones, maybe a vodka one would be better?), but I think they would pair well with any of The Thin Man films.

I would also pair Gin, maybe a nice Gin like Tanqueray 10, with Casablanca

I would drink a SoCo and Coke with Gone With the Wind

I like this thread, I am still considering other potent potables. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't even like martinis (well at least gin ones, maybe a vodka one would be better?), but I think they would pair well with any of The Thin Man films.

I would also pair Gin, maybe a nice Gin like Tanqueray 10, with Casablanca

I would drink a SoCo and Coke with Gone With the Wind

I like this thread, I am still considering other potent potables. 

speedracer5,  Those sound like some great choices and pairings.  I'm a very dry vodka martini guy, depending on the mood, sometimes a twist and sometimes a few blue cheese stuffed olives.  And they both would work well with the Thin Man flicks, probably more with the twist.  And maybe a Gimlet with Nick and Nora.

Just bought a fantastic tequila, Clase Azul Reposado, and that would be so nice to slip along with "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".  CHEERS!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I would drink a SoCo and Coke with Gone With the Wind.

You just gave me a flashback--my first college roommate was from the south, she was all sweetness and proper...and she kept a bottle of Southern Comfort in her boot in the closet 😄

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DJBeacon said:

speedracer5,  Those sound like some great choices and pairings.  I'm a very dry vodka martini guy, depending on the mood, sometimes a twist and sometimes a few blue cheese stuffed olives.  And they both would work well with the Thin Man flicks, probably more with the twist.  And maybe a Gimlet with Nick and Nora.

Just bought a fantastic tequila, Clase Azul Reposado, and that would be so nice to slip along with "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".  CHEERS!!

 

Along those lines, a Gibson or a very dry martini would be great with “All About Eve.”  I may like very dry as well, as I think it’s the Vermouth that I don’t like. And I hate dirty martinis. Blech. 

I think a French 75 would be great with either “An American in Paris” or “Funny Face.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't even like martinis (well at least gin ones, maybe a vodka one would be better?), but I think they would pair well with any of The Thin Man films.

I would also pair Gin, maybe a nice Gin like Tanqueray 10, with Casablanca

I would drink a SoCo and Coke with Gone With the Wind

I like this thread, I am still considering other potent potables. 

Just noticed TCM is running a couple of the Thin Man movies this afternoon.  I'll record so I can watch with a few drinks at a later time.

Cheers!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DJBeacon said:

Just noticed TCM is running a couple of the Thin Man movies this afternoon.  I'll record so I can watch with a few drinks at a later time.

Cheers!!

Have fun. Which Thin Man films are your favorite?

Of course, the first one is excellent. I think my second favorite is the last one, Song of a Thin Man

My least favorite is the third one.  It has that horrible baby party that I find incredibly irritating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to pick a favorite but really like seeing Jimmy Stewart as the bad guy in "After the Thin Man" and Nick heading home and busting up a spy ring in "The Thin Man Goes Home" with the surprise appearance of a Japanese sniper rifle.  Gotta chuckle at all that hip jive talk with Keenan Wynn in "Song of the Thin Man".

Definitely worth a few drinks.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...