Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SUGGEST A SOTM (STAR OF THE MONTH)

I would like to suggest PEGGY ANN GARNER for STAR OF THE MONTH.  There are a few of her films I have not seen, but would like to, but every role I've seen her play I thought was outstanding.

Instead of the 'usual suspects' for SOTM, it would be a breath of fresh air to see a new face highlighted on TCM.

Does anyone agree with me?  Vote for Peggy Ann Garner ... or suggest your pick!

• 1 month later...

How about Susan Hayward, or Barbara Stanwyck, or Lauren Bacall. So many strong actresses, these r just a few!! Loved Bette Davis last month. I just love TCM my favorite channel of all the hundreds I hv. I am not into this late Sunday silent night stuff though wish it was a weekday instead for that,  I'm only 63 so it was before my baby boomer time. John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Burt Lancaster, William Holden, and Good old Kirk Douglas I imagine they hv already done. Good old Blondell I remember from gunsmoke series lol. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, blueyedblonde1956 said:

How about tallulah bankhead. The forgotten actress. Her husky voice, I'm surprised I've only seen her in 2 things.

Lifeboat and die die my darlin.

???? Nor a fan of early non talkies but she must hv made a few movies!!

Bankhead was only featured in 10 talkie films.      That is only enough films for two days,  at best. 

9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Ann Blyth or Joan Bennett

I could see both of these happening. Ann Blyth had a SUTS day a few years ago. Her career highlights (other than MILDRED PIERCE) put here somewhere close to Kathryn Grayson, who was a SOTM in 2019 - so that may delay her own SOTM appearance.

Joan Bennett's SOTM seems inevitable, and I would not be surprised to see it happen soon.

But a question I've been thinking about is this: Do the actors and actresses whose work is heavily concentrated in noir films get 'penalized' in SOTM consideration because TCM has made a commitment to noir programming on weekends?  Why give more screen time to Joan Bennett or Kathryn Grayson when they are likely to get a good sowing and discussion by Eddie Muller on weekends? It does not affect the really big stars (Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck) but the next class of stars become more closely typed to certain film styles.

For example, isn't obvious that Gloria Grahame should have had SOTM treatment by now? Is it because she gets so much exposure in the noir programming that she has not been accorded that attention?

I don't know. But I'm starting to think, yes.

1 hour ago, Brrrcold said:

I could see both of these happening. Ann Blyth had a SUTS day a few years ago. Her career highlights (other than MILDRED PIERCE) put here somewhere close to Kathryn Grayson, who was a SOTM in 2019 - so that may delay her own SOTM appearance.

Joan Bennett's SOTM seems inevitable, and I would not be surprised to see it happen soon.

But a question I've been thinking about is this: Do the actors and actresses whose work is heavily concentrated in noir films get 'penalized' in SOTM consideration because TCM has made a commitment to noir programming on weekends?  Why give more screen time to Joan Bennett or Kathryn Grayson when they are likely to get a good sowing and discussion by Eddie Muller on weekends? It does not affect the really big stars (Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck) but the next class of stars become more closely typed to certain film styles.

For example, isn't obvious that Gloria Grahame should have had SOTM treatment by now? Is it because she gets so much exposure in the noir programming that she has not been accorded that attention?

It isn't the genre that can "penalize" an actor as it relates to bring SOTM;  It is the studio(s) that own the rights to most of their films they are in.

TCM has to pay a higher cost to lease films from Fox and Columbia (and some films these studios "reserve" for their own networks).

Early (30s) Paramount,  United Artist,  Universal and Republic are other studios where TCM will lease films but not close to what they get from the so-call Ted Turner library of films from MGM,  Warner Bros, and RKO.

E.g. most of Grahame noirs are Columbia films;    TCM will lease the most famous,  like The Big Heat,    but not others like Human Desire (which was shown often on GET-TV since that is a Columbia associated network).

Joan Bennett did a lot of films for Fox;  TCM tends to show mostly here MGM films,   etc...

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:20 AM, Brrrcold said:

Ahh yes, the Great Grahame.  Last I remember she was Star of the Day clear back in August 2009.  Yes, she did many films outside of noir, and did them well.  Maybe, like jazzguitar said, it is a leasing problem.  But she deserves to be SOTM, if only so more people like me can become infatuated with her.  My life will be complete when I can watch MAMA'S DIRTY GIRLS on TCM.

3 hours ago, greenpete58 said:

Ahh yes, the Great Grahame.  Last I remember she was Star of the Day clear back in August 2009.  Yes, she did many films outside of noir, and did them well.  Maybe, like jazzguitar said, it is a leasing problem.  But she deserves to be SOTM, if only so more people like me can become infatuated with her.  My life will be complete when I can watch MAMA'S DIRTY GIRLS on TCM.

Yea,  TCM should show Mama's Dirty Girls.   It's a perfect fit for  TCM Underground.

But yea,  I can't get enough Grahame either and I have seen most of her films.    

• 2 weeks later...

After watching Frosty The Snowman this holiday season and hearing him sing a Christmas song on SiriusXM’s Hallmark Channel Radio.  I would love to see Jimmy Durante as SOTM.  I think he would make a great one and after seeing The Year Without A Santa Claus every holiday season.  With Shirley Booth as the voice of Mrs Claus and Mickey Rooney as the voice of Santa.  I would love to see Shirley Booth as SOTM.  I think she would make a great one too.  I would also love to see Bob Hope as SOTM.  He would make a great one and I would really love to see Danny Kaye as SOTM.  I just love him.  I think he would make a great one too.

• 5 weeks later...