Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SUGGEST A SOTM (STAR OF THE MONTH)

On 12/9/2019 at 7:04 PM, blueyedblonde1956 said:

How about Susan Hayward, or Barbara Stanwyck, or Lauren Bacall. So many strong actresses, these r just a few!! Loved Bette Davis last month. I just love TCM my favorite channel of all the hundreds I hv. I am not into this late Sunday silent night stuff though wish it was a weekday instead for that,  I'm only 63 so it was before my baby boomer time. John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Burt Lancaster, William Holden, and Good old Kirk Douglas I imagine they hv already done. Good old Blondell I remember from gunsmoke series lol. 

Hi blueyedblonde1956 -

I seem to recall Susan Hayward, Barbara Stanwyck and Lauren Bacall being highlighted, if not stars of the month at one time or another.  Bette Davis has been a few times, I think, over the years. They are all good choices.  Peggy Ann Garner is less well-known, and had a very limited career since she died pretty young, but it is because she is less popular that I'd like to see her highlighted - plus she resembles my Granddaughter :) .  I am in your age-bracket and I agree that I wish the silent films were a weeknight, but it wouldn't sound as catchy as 'Silent Sunday'.  I utilize my DVR to work around programming times anyway.  I need to be in a certain mood for silent films. Funny that you mention Joan Blondell (love her!) - I just watched one of her old movies today I had never seen.  From 1932 - 'Three Broadway Girls'.  It was on EPIX which recently was added to my cable bundle. It was pretty good - a gold-digger trio plot. I also find a lot of good old flicks on STARZ Encore Westerns (commercial-free) - many great films from our generation.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:08 PM, TopBilled said:

I recently watched her with George Raft and Joan Bennett in NOB HILL (1945). I thought they were all equally fantastic.

I haven't checked up on the TCM forum in some time.  I appreciate your mentioning Nob Hill.  I couldn't even remember having seen it, but I did have it in my collection so am watching it now - so far I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and Peggy Ann's performance ... delightful!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, NYC Born said:

I haven't checked up on the TCM forum in some time.  I appreciate your mentioning Nob Hill.  I couldn't even remember having seen it, but I did have it in my collection so am watching it now - so far I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and Peggy Ann's performance ... delightful!

Glad to read this. Yes, it's a nice film, with charming performances.

• 5 months later...

This has a funny story behind it.  Did you ever feel like scratching your head, etc. over trying to remember the name of an actor/movie/etc.?  I had that with Sweet Smell of Success the other day.  Some people call them brain "****" - excuse language.  Well, there is a story in my family that my mother, who literally slept through an earthquake (minor) once, couldn't think of an actor's name.  According to the story, somewhere around 3:00 a.m., she rolled over, slapped my Dad with her arm (and my Dad, like yours truly, always had problems sleeping at night) and yelled "Felix Bressart!"  He was in a great many films.  Therefore, I would love to see him as TCM's Star of the Month.  He is always a supporting player, as is another favorite - Sam Levine (another nominee).

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I would like to see Lee Remick  be honored  with the star of month. Lee Remick  has an very good filmography to choose from. I know she is from the post studio period and  not  part of the Golden Age of Hollywood. Lee was  an  very good actress and  was a star of high quality. Lee has worked some greats of Hollywood and here is a partial list. James Stewart, Paul Newman, Patricia Neal, George C Scott , Frank Sinatra, Burt Lancaster, James Garner, Henry Fonda, Joanne Woodward, Gregory Peck, Jack Lemmon, Glenn Ford , Steve Mc Queen, Montgomery Cliff, Eve Arden, Rod Steiger and many more . ( this is not a complete list) Here is a list of key film highlights.  A FACE IN THE CROWD 1957   THE LONG HOT SUMMER 1958  ANATOMY OF A MURDER 1959  WILD RIVER 1960  EXPERIMENT IN TERROR 1962  DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES 1962  NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY 1968

• Like 2
11 hours ago, cinemaman said:

I would like to see Lee Remick  be honored  with the star of month. Lee Remick  has an very good filmography to choose from. I know she is from the post studio period and  not  part of the Golden Age of Hollywood. Lee was  an  very good actress and  was a star of high quality. Lee has worked some greats of Hollywood and here is a partial list. James Stewart, Paul Newman, Patricia Neal, George C Scott , Frank Sinatra, Burt Lancaster, James Garner, Henry Fonda, Joanne Woodward, Gregory Peck, Jack Lemmon, Glenn Ford , Steve Mc Queen, Montgomery Cliff, Eve Arden, Rod Steiger and many more . ( this is not a complete list) Here is a list of key film highlights.  A FACE IN THE CROWD 1957   THE LONG HOT SUMMER 1958  ANATOMY OF A MURDER 1959  WILD RIVER 1960  EXPERIMENT IN TERROR 1962  DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES 1962  NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY 1968

Definitely in favor of her being honored. Even a Summer Under the Stars day next August would be welcome!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...