Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Canadian Election Update

2 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

This sounds like collusion with a foreign government, never mind that Trudeau wore blackface repeatedly and made fun of minorities.

Collusion? It's an endoresment. But please let us know, MM, if you find any evidence that Trudeau is getting Obama to dig up dirt on his opposition.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, LatriceRoyale said:

Speak for yourself A-Hole!  In my part of Canada, we hate Trudeau!  And since you love absolutes, every Indigenous Person now hates him too, since his pathetic take down Of Jodi Wilson-Raybould.  Get a life, you are always spewing what Canadians think from your single minded lens, I disagree with You on just about everything that you post.  

Wow,  this post takes the cake.

While I understand what you're laying down here and that you have some valid points,,,,  uh,,,,  there is a code of conduct at this website.

Oh well,,,,,  carry on!

I honestly thought when I created this thread that it was a fairly straight forward one, merely denoting Obama's endorsement of Trudeau in the Canadian election (next Monday).

Amazing how a thread can suddenly take an unexpected turn due to a poster with anger issues.

31 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I honestly thought when I created this thread that it was a fairly straight forward one, merely denoting Obama's endorsement of Trudeau in the Canadian election (next Monday).

Amazing how a thread can suddenly take an unexpected turn due to a poster with anger issues.

Amazing how TomFH just creates threads with the straightest of intentions...

Oh Please...Mr. Drama Teacher (You, not your Hero JT)...passive-aggressive actions and ad hominem approaches are so tiresome....I own my position straight up with and about you!  Am I speaking with Gerald Butts?

• Haha 1

How strange, Obama doesn't endorse Biden running for President of the United States, but he instead endorses a Canadian who wore blackface many times? That proves what an empty suit he is, just like his library having no actual books in it.

46 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

It's a bit weird that the moderator would delete the "offending" comment but not the post replying to it. We can all see what he said. 

All it takes  is ******.  Funny in the word filter allowed that but blanks out words not really offensive (past silly deletions I've encountered)

Scheer says he expects the leader with most seats will form government

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-minority-government-1.5323901

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says he expects that all parties "will respect the fact" that whoever wins the most seats on Oct. 21 will be the one to form government.

Under Canada's parliamentary system, the incumbent prime minister remains prime minister until he or she formally resigns or is dismissed by the Governor General.

If no party wins a majority of seats on Monday and the Liberals come in second to the Conservatives, Justin Trudeau could continue to govern by trying to gain the confidence of a majority of MPs in the House of Commons. 

If he decided to do so, Trudeau would have until mid-January to recall the House. He could also enter a coalition or informal power-sharing agreement with other parties. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has already opened the door to such a deal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traditionally the party with the most seats in a Canadian federal election takes power. A coalition government, however, between the second and third place parties, has been floated around in the media lately, spurted by Jagmeet Singh, leader of the NDP, saying that he would be willing to form one with the Liberals. Trudeau has not given a direct reply as to whether he would consider forming one with Singh (who would be included in the cabinet, along with a few others from his party, if it happened).

Andrew Scheer's Conservatives know they have no chance of forming a coalition government with the NDP, therefore his "expectation" of the party with the largest number of seats forming government is understandable. It also shows that he is very concerned about the possibility of a Liberal-NDP coalition government.

While Ontario has had a coalition government in its recent past, I can think of no time in modern Canadian history (I'm ready to be corrected on this) that this has occurred on the federal level. It is, however, legal to do so if the current PM (Trudeau) can get a majority vote from all parties in the House of Commons to do so.

In 2008 Stephen Harper, then Conservative PM, prorogued parliament (after receiving the Governor General's permission to do so) in order to avoid a no confidence vote in the House that would have brought his party down, with the Liberals, NDP and Bloc Quebecois talking of then forming a coalition government to replace Harper's. By the time that Parliament was re-convened the Liberals had changed their mind about participating in a coalition government (deciding it was too politically dicey to form one with the Bloc, a separatist party), and the Harper Conservatives remained in power.

To the best of my knowledge that was the closest that Canada ever came to forming a coalition government on the federal level. Until, possibly, next week, should the Trudeau Liberals come in second in the number of seats in a minority government situation.

Who says Canadian politics are dull?

10 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Trudeau making fun of minorities. How many more times did he do this?

_108872197_trudeau_blackface_3_comp.jpg

Looks like he's spoofing the BeeGees in that first photo. I like how dressing up in "costume" is now considered offensive. What's to become of Halloween?

It's offensive to wear traditional Indian clothing?

I find Indian Pajamas gorgeous:

4e2050c16c6d4b1f535876358a1b9340.jpg

American's version, not so much:

BedJacket6.jpg

It's SLEEPWEAR dumbbell, not outerwear.

8 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

I thought it would be tough to beat Obama doing the tango in a seedy bar.

the_obamas_tango_dance_at_argentine_stat

So what's so wrong with Obama attempting a few tango steps at a state dinner in Argentina? He may not be Fred Astaire (how many are?) but he's gracious enough to acquiesce to the lady's clear invitation.

Michele joined in, too. I like the Obamas for giving the dance a try when they were guests in that nation. It was their way of honouring an Argentinian tradition. Quite frankly, I think it reflects the fact that this was a couple in the White House who had class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

This sounds like collusion with a foreign government, never mind that Trudeau wore blackface repeatedly and made fun of minorities.

That's rich, coming from someone who I suspect doesn't give a frig about blackface. The most vociferous critics of Justin Trudeau's black/and brown face escapades are those who just want an excuse to criticize him and know this is something that will embarrass his supporters.

Trudeau's blackface incidents are embarrassing and regrettable, to say the least. But they don't mean he isn't fit to govern or be re-elected as prime minister. He has openly acknowledged he was thoughtless and stupid in this matter, and has sincerely apologized.

MovieMadness, I wish you'd choose another avatar. That unpleasant pic of Bogart is unfair to the actor -he really didn't look like that, 99 per cent of the time. That avatar pic makes him appear aggressive and nasty, which unfortunately is how it also makes you appear, since it's your avatar. 

How 'bout this one?

Image result for small pics humphrey bogart

22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Speak for yourself A-Hole!  In my part of Canada, we hate Trudeau!  And since you love absolutes, every Indigenous Person now hates him too, since his pathetic take down Of Jodi Wilson-Raybould.  Get a life, you are always spewing what Canadians think from your single minded lens, I disagree with You on just about everything that you post.  

james, this is in response to Latrice Royal, not you; but since the original post has been removed, the only way I could reproduce it was to quote your response to it.

So, Latrice: every time someone accuses Trudeau of betraying his avowed pro-Indigenous ideals because he asked Wilson-Raybould to leave the Liberal caucus, I have to wonder at the illogical reasoning behind such accusations. Same thing when people say Trudeau must be anti-feminist, because of course Jody is also a woman. 

I don't support the way Trudeau handled the whole SNC- Lavalin affair. However, his dismissal of Wilson-Raybould, however wrong and misguided it may or may not have been, had nothing to do with her race or her gender. He would have done the same thing had the Attorney General been white and male. 

3 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Trudeau's blackface incidents are embarrassing and regrettable, to say the least. But they don't mean he isn't fit to govern or be re-elected as prime minister. He has openly acknowledged he was thoughtless and stupid in this matter, and has sincerely apologized.

There is the question of if progressives \ liberals forgive their own (e.g. take the POV of that such prior acts don't mean one isn't fit to govern),    but don't apply that to conservative politicians.

Here in California I saw this related to #MeToo;    women and gay offenders were assumed to be innocent when for conservative offenders one-must-believe-the-accused.       Ed Buck,  a rich Los Angeles progressive gay man had multiple men die of drug overdoes in his home and the L.A. DA did nothing (Ed had donated to her campaign).   It took another death a few weeks about for the Feds to arrest him.     

• Sad 1
19 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here in California I saw this related to #MeToo;    women and gay offenders were assumed to be innocent when for conservative offenders one-must-believe-the-accused.       Ed Buck,  a rich Los Angeles progressive gay man had multiple men die of drug overdoes in his home and the L.A. DA did nothing (Ed had donated to her campaign).   It took another death a few weeks about for the Feds to arrest him.     

Hopefully they keep that sadistic freak locked up for life. I can only imagine he'd be given a "mentorship" under "Mayor Pete's" new plan. :( 

On 10/17/2019 at 12:01 AM, MovieMadness said:

I thought it would be tough to beat Obama doing the tango in a seedy bar.

the_obamas_tango_dance_at_argentine_stat

So I repeat, Movie Madness, because you didn't answer the question before. What is wrong with Obama doing a few tango moves in Argentina?