Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Monday is MARION DAVIES

Guest dredagain

> {quote:title=drednm wrote:}{quote}

> The great comedienne, possibly the most underrated major star of the golden era.... Monday is all hers!

Yes, and most of these are very rare films for TV.

Be sure to stay up late tomorrow night (early Tue on the East Coast) to see:

2 AM early Tuesday, Eastern Time

(This airs late Mon. night in Pacific and Mountain time.)

*?Operator 13?* (1934)

An actress signs up to spy for the Union, then falls for a Confederate officer.

Cast: Marion Davies, Gary Cooper, Jean Parker, Katharine Alexander Dir: Richard Boleslavsky BW-85 mins, TV-G

Here's all of Monday's schedule, so you can have it handy:

*The Red Mill* (1926) 6am ET

In this silent film, a barmaid sets out to win the heart of a handsome hero.

Cast: Marion Davies, Owen Moore, Louise Fazenda, George Siegmann Dir: William Goodrich BW-74 mins, TV-G

*Marianne* (1929) 7:15am ET

Two American soldiers fall for the same French girl during World War I.

Cast: George Baxter, Lawrence Gray, Cliff Edwards, Benny Rubin Dir: Robert Z. Leonard BW-111 mins, TV-G

*The Big Parade Of Comedy* (1964) 9:15am ET

Film clips highlight the funniest scenes and brightest comic stars in MGM's history.

Cast: Les Tremayne Dir: Robert Youngson. BW-90 mins, TV-G

*Not So Dumb* (1930) 10:45am ET

A scatterbrained miss throws a big party to advance her boyfriend's career.

Cast: Marion Davies, Elliott Nugent, Raymond Hackett, Franklin Pangborn Dir: King Vidor BW-76 mins, TV-G

*The Bachelor Father* (1931) 12:15pm ET

An aging Don Juan decides to get better acquainted with his grown children.

Cast: Marion Davies, Ralph Forbes, C. Aubrey Smith, Ray Milland Dir: Robert Z. Leonard BW-90 mins, TV-G

*Blondie Of The Follies* (1932) 1:45pm ET

Two showgirls on the road from rags to riches compete for the same man.

Cast: Marion Davies, Robert Montgomery, Billie Dove, Jimmy Durante Dir: Edmund Goulding BW-91 mins, TV-G

*Polly Of The Circus* (1932) 3:30pm ET

A small-town minister risks his career when he falls for a trapeze artist.

Cast: Marion Davies, Clark Gable, C. Aubrey Smith, Raymond Hatton Dir: Alfred Santell BW-70 mins, TV-G

*Peg O' My Heart* (1933) 4:45pm ET

A spunky Irish girl inherits a place in a British estate.

Cast: Marion Davies, Onslow Stevens, J. Farrell MacDonald, Juliette Compton Dir: Robert Z. Leonard BW-87 mins, TV-G

*Page Miss Glory* (1935) 6:15pm ET

A con artist creates a composite photo to win a beauty contest, then has to find the real thing.

Cast: Marion Davies, Pat O'Brien, Dick Powell, Mary Astor Dir: Mervyn LeRoy BW-93 mins, TV-G

*Show People* (1928) 8pm ET

In this silent film, a small-town girl tries to make it in Hollywood.

Cast: Marion Davies, William Haines, Dell Henderson, Paul Ralli Dir: King Vidor BW-79 mins, TV-G

*The Patsy* (1928) 9:30pm ET

In this silent film, a romantic young woman falls for her sister's fiance, then discovers her sister is cheating on him.

Cast: Marion Davies, Orville Caldwell, Marie Dressler, Dell Henderson Dir: King Vidor BW-77 mins, TV-G

*Captured on Film: The True Story of Marion Davies* (2001) 11:30pm ET

Documentary on the details of her life, career and her relationship with William Randolph Hearst.

Cast: Jeanine Basinger, Cari Beauchamp, Bob Board, Kevin Brownlow Dir: Hugh Munro Neely BW-57 mins, TV-PG

*Going Hollywood* (1933) 12:30am ET

A girl poses as a French maid to catch a singing star.

Cast: Marion Davies, Bing Crosby, Fifi D'Orsay, Stuart Erwin Dir: Raoul Walsh BW-78 mins, TV-G

*Operator 13* (1934) 2am ET

Cast: Marion Davies, Gary Cooper, Jean Parker, Katharine Alexander Dir: Richard Boleslavsky BW-85 mins, TV-G

*Ever Since Eve* (1937) 3:30am ET

A plain-jane secretary masquerades as a beauty to win her boss's heart.

Cast: Marion Davies, Robert Montgomery, Frank McHugh, Patsy Kelly Dir: Lloyd Bacon BW-80 mins, TV-G

*Captured on Film: The True Story of Marion Davies* (2001) 5am ET

Documentary on the details of her life, career and her relationship with William Randolph Hearst.

Cast: Jeanine Basinger, Cari Beauchamp, Bob Board, Kevin Brownlow Dir: Hugh Munro Neely BW-57 mins, TV-PG

With Marion Davies Day I am disappointed that they are only showing three of Her Silent films, and the rest are all talkies. Also there are no Silent premiers. Not even QUALITY STREET which has been on DVD, but not on TCM. Plus THE RED MILL is on so early in the morning. That's probably not going to boost the sales of the Warner Archive release. Hopefully, THE PATSY will be out soon. Still it is wonderful to see Marion finally being honored like this.

I wonder is it at all possible that we could be seeing the Thames Silents edition of SHOW PEOPLE tomorrow, instead of the one that they normally run? I ask this because the recent Warner Chat seemed to clearly indicate that the plan was to release the Kevin Brownlow version on DVD with Carl Davis music score, and not the vintage Axt-Mendoza one. It likely won't happen, but we should be prepared just in case that it does.

MarionDaviesQualityStreetMGM1927.png

The web pages for Marion Davies day are beautiful. Great job, TCM!

The little bio is good, but it should have been mentioned that Davies started her film career before she got involved with Hearst. Davies was a successful showgirl on Broadway, and in 1917 she wrote and starred in her first film, *Runaway Romany.* She started her collaboration with Hearst in 1918 with *Cecelia of the Pink Roses,* at whose premiere Hearst framed the movie screen with thousands of pink roses and had perfume sprayed out into the auditorium. This film is rumored to exist in a private collection.

Via Cosmopolitan films (which also boasted Alma Rubens as a star) Hearst starred Davies in all kinds of films, including a serial, before they hit the jackpot in 1922 with *When Knighthood Was in Flower,* the most expensive film produced at that point. It was a smash hit and also was the fiom debut for William Powell.

Message was edited by: drednm

RainingViolets101,

I love Marion Davies. Unfortunately, most of her talkies are very soft transfers made probably 25 to 30 years ago or more. They sure could stand some re-mastering. They look almost like old VHS tapes now. Lacking in sharpness, or crisp detail. Marion had a very good voice, and so to did Billie Dove Marion's co-star in BLONDIE OF THE FOLLIES for that matter. We definitely need more Billie as well. I would like to see a few of her Silents, along with the early talkies if possible. She was a Major Star in her own right.

I've always wondered why "One Night at Susie's" and another Billie Dove Warner Bros. movie, "The Lady Who Dared" (1931) have never been on TCM, or on TNT back when they ran that kind of good stuff. I've had video copies for years, so prints are out there. They both were available to TV back in the late 1950's and 1960's but not since. Also "Sweethearts and Wives" (1930). That was restored and shown at one of UCLA's Restoration Festivals back in 2002, I believe. But it's not been on TCM yet. These are all Warner Bros. or WB / First National movies so let's see them on TCM.

Then there's "The Other Tomorrow" (1930). Not sure of the status of that one.

But, as gagman so correctly put it, we need more Billie Dove on TCM.

She was a major and important star and should not be neglected and forgotten.

Okay, now back to Marion Davies.

I saw several of her movies earlier today, ones I had never seen before. I enjoyed them, but several looked liked they were based on one-set stage plays.

I'm sorry they scheduled "Operator 13" for so late in the night, since I think it is her best movie, with an excellent and complex script, and lots of change in settings and scenery. This movie has a very good plot and story.

*Operator 13* (1934) 2am ET

I've always liked Marion Davies and I have a well worn copy of her book The Times We Had. I remember the old TCM use to play her films regularly. I'm very glad she was honored with her own day for Summer Under The Stars.

mariondavies.jpg?t=1249359358

I am watching the documentary about her. I have the sound all the way up but I can't really hear what they are saying. Oh well.

I hope TCM will show more of her films in the future.

Message was edited by: molo14 for context

One of the main reasons for the long delay in a DVD release of SHOW PEOPLE is Warner's intends to feature it as part of a King Vidor Box set collection. It's also unclear if it will be the Photoplay Productions version with Carl Davis score, or the Axt-Mendoza vintage track version they have been running. Hopefully both, if it can be done.

I haven't heard any plans for a big Box set of just Marion's films. Though She deserves one. They would need to score more of her Silents. THE CARDBOARD LOVER is every bit as good as SHOW PEOPLE. THE FAIR CO-ED was recently restored so that is a strong Candidate. I really like TILLIE THE TOILER too. And LIGHTS OF OLD BROADWAY is a wonderful film. THE RED MILL has been released by Warner Archive. That really surprised me.

MarionAndHerEstate_edited-1.png

MarionDaviesEntersThePalace.jpg

1929Marion.jpg

MARIONDAVIES1929.jpg

ShowPeople-songsheet-CrossRoads.jpg

Jeff... I would think a restored *Beverly of Graustark* or *Zander the Great* would also be good candidates. Both are charming comedies with good stories and terrific work from Marion Davies.

I've known about Marion Davies but never seen her in a film before yesterday. I was instantly smitten, she was absolutely adorable! I especially enjoyed Blondie Of The Follies for the strong cast (and gowns-woo!). I don't think I've ever seen (my fave) James Gleason so young! And yes, I had to "consult Leonard" to know the other electric girl was Billie Dove, another name I hear often.

Thanks TCM, Marion Davies was a great SUTS choice.

I was surprised at the feminist message in 1937's Ever Since Eve in which

a beauty who is sick of men judging her on her looks, (what does she look like)

and goes the other way and diguises her good looks behind a wig and glasses

a brilliant idea and makes for a very funny film...

I agree that Gilbert, Haines, and Novarro would be interesting stars to showcase, and there are plenty of their films around. I also wish TCM could get hold of Gloria Swanson and Colleen Moore films....

It was great to have a Marion Davies day!

I thoroughly enjoyed last night with Marion Davies. I watched Show People and The Patsy. King Vidor directed both. I am fascinated with the silent film era and am glad to see more silent film on TCM at a more convenient time. I live in the eastern time zone and do not get to see the films offered during Silent Sundays. This pesky thing of getting up on Monday morning and going to work! Let me put in my suggestion to whomever to schedule more silent films earlier in the evening. I am looking forward to Harold Lloyd night. I also concur it would be nice to see more William Haines, Ramon Navarro (sp?) and other silent greats. So far, Summer Under the Stars has been excelent.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> Yesterday was great. I wish more of her contemporaries were represented this month...John Gilbert; William Haines; Ramon Novarro; Wheeler & Woolsey; Lupe Velez...

I totally agree with that, PS. Yesterday was simply AWESOME, I got to record 6 movies I'd never had access to before, plus the Davies documentary.

There is a day with several Wheeler & Woolsey movies scheduled, I believe in the October schedule, hope there will be more films from this period.

I love that TCM had Marion Davies movies on Monday. I am a living history docent at Hearst Castle for the night tours (we dress in period costumes from the 1930's). It was great to see Marion in her films. It gave me a taste of the era which is very helpful. I am Hearst Castle groupie because of Marion and the Stars who visited there. It is just fun knowing that I have been in a place where some of my favorite stars have been, walked the same steps, swam in the same pool and sat in some of the same chairs.