Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Monday is MARION DAVIES

Guest dredagain

I posted this on another thread, but I thought it would be fitting here, too.

With all the Marion Davies silents they could have shown, and talkies they skipped, there's almost enough for a two-day Marion Marathon!

I'd certainly be up for that! They could show both versions of "Show People", the silent version of "Marianne", and try to get "It's a Wise Child" on TV finally.

Marion's movies:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0203836/

Yes.... I don't know about licensing but there are good quality versions of *When Knighthood Was in Flower, Little Old New York, Beauty's Worth, Zander the Great, Quality Street, The Fair Co-Ed, The Cardboard Lover, Janice Meredith* .... Less good version exist of *Lights of Old Broadway, Tillie the Toiler, Marianne* (silent), and *Beverly of Graustark.*

From her MGM films, I believe only *Yolanda* (among the silents) is locked up in an archive somewhere.

Music tracks are another issue......

Ed,

I don't think *BEVERLY OF GRAUSTARK* is as strong a possibility since the opening credits, maybe the entire first reel seem to be missing.

TCM has already said that they do not consider the surviving elements of *THE CARDBOARD LOVER* suitable for broadcast. Though I completely disagree. It looks better much better than *ACROSS TO SINGAPORE* with Novarro and Crawford, which is being released in a couple weeks by Warner Archive.

Incidentally, the 2001 documentary featured some brief footage a couple three times from TILLIE THE TOILER, something I had not noticed before, because I had not seen TILLIE yet. The clips looked to be in great shape. There were no clips from THE FAIR CO-ED. Though it was restored just a few years ago. I like both films allot and still hope for TCM premiers.

Hey, have you left a message for Chuck Tabesh on SSO? He will only be there one more day tomorrow I believe.

I forgot about Tabesh... I'll check it out

You're right about the Davies films... I'd love to see the resored *Fair Co-Ed* ... that's a fun little film

I had to re-register at SSO and am blocked from posting.... oh well.... I would have asked why they can't show more films of Gloria Swanson, Colleen Moore, Betty Compson, Richard Barthelmess, etc....

I had never heard of Marion Davies before. I was just about to get ready for bed and then at 12:30 a.m. I caught a glimpse of Ever Since Eve. I couldn't stop watching I was taken by her charm and naturalistic demeanor. Her youthful spirit belies her 40 years. The relatively feminist message also piqued my interest. I knew I was hooked when I stayed up past 3:00 am giving me only 3 hours of sleep on a week night to watch her biography. The clips of her silent films especially captured her comedic and natural sensibilities in a genre where exaggeration and over the top acting was the norm. I admit generally I'm not a fan of silent films but I'm disappointed I missed the whole day's worth of her movies. TCM, more Marion Davies please!

They've shown Marion's films last year as well. I had about half of the day's schedule already recorded before. The only real disappointment this time around was Page Miss Glory. It really was too noisy for me, Dick Powell acted as a smitten imbecile, and the film contained a totally unnecessary subplot with Barton MacLane and Allen Jenkins. There was a good idea behind the film, but it wasn't developed well. Ever Since Eve was a nice surprise, though.