9 - Al Pacino
6 - Leo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks
5 - Anthony Hopkins
4 - Renée  Zellweger, Joaquin Phoenix, Brad Pitt, Saoirse Ronan, Kathy Bates
3 - Charlize Theron, Laura Dern, Joe Pesci
2 - Adam Driver, Margot Robbie, Scarlett Johansson

11:55 AM · Jan 13, 2020·Twitter Web App
8 minutes ago, skimpole said:

He didn't create a world, he copied it from Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy.  I can understand Phoenix getting a nomination, even though it's clearly the least of the four nominations I've seen (I haven't seen Pryce), and even more so than the unnominated De Niro.  But better cinematography over A Hidden Life?  Of the actresses, I've only seen Johansson, and she clearly was not as good as the unnominated Lupita Nyong'o.   That Sam Mendes has a better shot of getting his second directing oscar over Scorsese does not sound promising.

I thought Phoenix did an excellent job in Joker, but it was also the showiest of all of the nominated roles. My personal choice was Jonathan Pryce, whose very nuanced, subtle performance is on the opposite end of the good-performance spectrum from Phoenix's Joker. I haven't seen Pain & Glory, but I'm happy to see Banderas win a nomination.

I'm not a big Jennifer Lopez fan at all, but she was my choice for Best Supporting Actress. I admit to not seeing several of the nominees, though.

I'm sure Zellweger will win Best Actress, but my choice would have been Lupita Nyong'o for Us.

• Thanks 1

Oh, and I wouldn't have nominated Todd Phillips for best director, The direction was one of the more dubious aspects of the movie. The art direction was very good, though, and I liked the abstract score.

I haven't seen 1917, but it's almost certain to win best cinematography thanks to the film's gimmick, and I can't argue with Roger Deakins winning, as he's arguably one of the ten best cinematographers ever. 

I don't know or care enough about the Best Song nominees to have an opinion.

12 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't know or care enough about the Best Song nominees to have an opinion.

Now that Queen Bey and Mary Steenburgen are out of the running, the Best Original Song award almost certainly will go to Sir Elton John and his longtime songwriting partner Bernie Taupin for "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" from "Rocketman." But I wouldn't mind if Cynthia Erivo wins and clinches EGOT status.

See the source image

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jakeem said:

But I wouldn't mind if Cynthia Erivo wins and clinches EGOT status.

Yes, I've been very impressed with her so far, in Bad Times at the El Royale and Widows

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Yes, I've been very impressed with her so far, in Bad Times at the El Royale and Widows

She rocked in "Widows." I can only imagine how intense her version of Harriet Tubman might be,

See the source image

Frankly, all of the jelly bean counters focusing on melanin content and the lack of bevulvaed directors need to be told to go to hell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

s8xmWAvU_bigger.jpg

The Best Documentary Feature category at the #OscarsOscars2020.pngthis year is unusual: It’s comprised almost entirely of movies that aren’t primarily told in English.

Here’s how to watch them.

3:21 PM · Jan 13, 2020·Vox Media
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm sure Zellweger will win Best Actress, but my choice would have been Lupita Nyong'o for Us.

It's looking that way, isn't it? And I'm wondering if her sudden front-runner status is going to start bringing up questions about her working for WEINSTEIN during her super hot streak that came to a sudden crash and whether she's going to have to address it in some way or another.

edit- or maybe she has?

I apologize if it seems like I'm singling out ZELLWEGGER for working with/benefitting from her association with WEINSTEIN back during her 3 nominations in a row days...THERE ARE  a lot of people who I feel very iffy about because of their going along with his turning the OSCARS into his own private HUNGER GAMES for so many years.

(see also, STREEP, Meryl)

23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

How much screen time does he have? is he in over half the movie? would you consider him supporting?

(just curious)

I found putting Pitt in the supporting category very odd indeed.  He is definitely a co-lead and steals the picture (as to be expected) from DiCaprio.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

This year's nominations were designed to keep Jada Pinkett Smith from attending the ceremony; it's an indelicate means of doing it, but apparently the only way she gets the message.

th?id=OIP.V8SW1ANi8hl1hZfjmhPC3wHaGu&pid

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It's looking that way, isn't it? And I'm wondering if her sudden front-runner status is going to start bringing up questions about her working for WEINSTEIN during her super hot streak that came to a sudden crash and whether she's going to have to address it in some way or another.

edit- or maybe she has?

Everyone thought Judy was suppose to win too, right?   Has no one else seen that?

Some things to consider before watching the 92nd annual Academy Awards ceremony, which will air  Sunday, February 9, 2020 on ABC:

Twenty-four years ago, the erstwhile actor Mel Gibson won Academy Awards for Best Picture and Best Director for his 1995 epic film "Braveheart," based on the life and death of Scotland's 13th-century warrior William Wallace. 

One of the other films nominated for Best Picture that year was Ron Howard's "Apollo 13," a re-creation of the aborted manned moon landing in 1970.  Although he had won the Director's Guild award for the production, Howard wasn't nominated for the Best Director Oscar.

So imagine what it was like when Gibson showed up  the next day for work on his current project as an actor. He filmed scenes for the thriller "Ransom," directed by none other than Howard (pictured below with Gibson).

hqdefault.jpg

When it comes to this year's Oscars, consider the case of the British actress Florence Pugh, who plays Amy March in "Little Women." She is nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category with two veteran performers she knows well. Laura Dern, nominated for her performance as a divorce attorney in "Marriage Story," co-stars as Pugh's mother in "Little Women."  She is pictured below with Meryl Streep and Pugh.

Image result for Laura dern and florence pugh little women

Meanwhile, Scarlett Johansson, nominated in the category for "Jojo Rabbit," stars with Pugh in the upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe film "Black Widow." In the standalone tale, Johansson reprises her role as the title character -- the formidable "Avengers" heroine Natasha Romanoff. Pugh (pictured below with Johansson) appears as Yelena Belova, Natasha's equally formidable "sister." The film is scheduled to be released on May 1, 2020.

See the source image

Pugh told The Associated Press that she has only good thoughts about the competition. "It's so lovely actually sharing this with [Laura] and Scarlett," the 23-year-old actress said. "It's great because I look up to those women, anyway. And now they're about to kind of hold my hand and lead me through it.  It's a great feeling and there's only love going around there." 
  • Like 1
On 1/13/2020 at 4:13 PM, Fedya said:

Frankly, all of the jelly bean counters focusing on melanin content and the lack of bevulvaed directors need to be told to go to hell.

For your own safety,  please don't read the Los Angeles Times.      

Here is an idea :   do away with the nominations.      Period.   Instead just have a single "election" where each member allowed to vote within a category gets  3 votes for any entity that qualifies for said category.      Tally the votes with a scoring methodology (e.g. 1st = 5,  2nd = 3,  3rd = 1),  and the the entity with the highest score wins.

No more controversy over nominations.  

Of course since my view of industry awards is that they are just a marketing tool,   removing nominations makes zero sense since nominations are the 2nd biggest marketing tool in the toolbox.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:12 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

ALSO, THE GUY WHO PLAYS MR ROGERS IN THE MOVIE ABOUT MR ROGERS IS SUPPORTING?????????

Yeah. Hanks was offscreen for long sections of the film. It's really the story of a reporter whose life was turned around by meeting Rogers. Hanks probably has about 35 minutes screentime (maybe) to the reporter's 65 or 70.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is an idea :   do away with the nominations.      Period.   Instead just have a single "election" where each member allowed to vote within a category gets  3 votes for any entity that qualifies for said category.      Tally the votes with a scoring methodology (e.g. 1st = 5,  2nd = 3,  3rd = 1),  and the the entity with the highest score wins.

No more controversy over nominations.  

Of course since my view of industry awards is that they are just a marketing tool,   removing nominations makes zero sense since nominations are the 2nd biggest marketing tool in the toolbox.

It seems that the trade papers are demanding that the Oscars nominate more people in directing and acting every year now...... :unsure:

47 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

It seems that the trade papers are demanding that the Oscars nominate more people in directing and acting every year now...... :unsure:

Adding more nominees in any category is likely to increase diversity and thus it is logical for those that believe diversity is the #1 goal to make such a demand.

For an individual,  being nominated does have a lot of economic value:  One is more likely to get future gigs,   as well as more pay,  per gig.   Thus I understand why there are concerns about lack of nominations for non-white-males.       

I guess the only way to reduce the complaining about lack of diversity is to increase the number of nominations.    BUT my guess is that activist would still complain;   E.g. if there were 10 nominees for best-director,  and only 2 were women,   would women activist groups still complain that there wasn't enough women selected and thus the system is still rigged?