Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

Awards season 2019-2020

bob_strauss_01_twitter_bigger.jpg

#WeatheringwithYou is another character-rich, imaginative fantasy anime from #YourName.'s #MakotoShinkai. New film's concept, about teenage runaways who can make it rain, is not as profound nor exquisitely worked out. Still quite compelling, though, & flooded Tokyo looks great.

11:46 AM · Jan 17, 2020·Twitter Web App

The film editors for "Parasite" and "Jojo Rabbit" may have become Academy Award favorites as a result of their wins Friday at the 70th annual American Cinema Editors "Eddie" Awards. South Korea's Jinmo Yang of "Parasite" won the award for Best Edited Feature Film (Drama).  Tom Eagles of "Jojo Rabbit" was the recipient of the Best Edited Feature Film (Comedy) award.

Both are nominated for the Best Film Editing Oscar.

The Eddie awards are presented to honor editing excellence in film and television categories.   

The award for Best Edited Feature Film (Drama) usually is an indicator of which picture will win the Academy Award for Best Film Editing. Twenty-two of the past 29 Eddie winners -- and 11 of the past 15 -- also won Oscars. Last year, the drama award was won by "Bohemian Rhapsody," which also picked up the Academy's prized statuette.

Here is the list of nominees and winners:

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (DRAMA)
Ford v Ferrari
Michael McCusker, Andrew Buckland
The Irishman
Thelma Schoonmaker
 Joker
Jeff Groth
Marriage Story
Jennifer Lame
Parasite :ph34r:
Jinmo Yang

Image result for Parasite jimmo yang

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (COMEDY):
Dolemite Is My Name

Billy Fox
The Farewell
Michael Taylor, Matthew Friedman
Jojo Rabbit :ph34r:

Tom Eagles

See the source image
Knives Out
Bob Ducsay
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Fred Raskin

BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
Frozen 2
Jeff Draheim
I Lost My Body
Benjamin Massoubre
Toy Story 4 :ph34r:
Axel Geddes

See the source image

BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE):
American Factory

Lindsay Utz
Apollo 11 :ph34r:
Todd Douglas Miller
Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice
Jake Pushinsky, Heidi Scharfe
Making Waves: The Art of Cinematic Sound
David J. Turner, Thomas G. Miller

BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (NON-THEATRICAL):
Abducted in Plain Sight
James Cude
Bathtubs Over Broadway
Dava Whisenant
Leaving Neverland
Jules Cornell
What’s My Name: Muhammad Ali :ph34r:
Jake Pushinsky

BEST EDITED COMEDY SERIES FOR COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:
Better Things: “Easter” :ph34r:

Janet Weinberg
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: “I Need To Find My Frenemy”
Nena Erb
The Good Place: “Pandemonium”
Eric Kissack
Schitt’s Creek: “Life is a Cabaret”
Trevor Ambrose

BEST EDITED COMEDY SERIES FOR NON-COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:
Barry: “Berkman”
Kyle Reiter
Dead to Me: Pilot
Liza Cardinale
Fleabag: “Episode 2.1” :ph34r:
Gary Dollner
Russian Doll: “The Way Out”
Todd Downing

BEST EDITED DRAMA SERIES FOR COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:
Chicago Med: “Never Going Back To Normal”

David J. Siegel
Killing Eve: “Desperate Times” :ph34r:
Dan Crinnion

See the source image
Killing Eve: “Smell Ya Later”
Al Morrow
“Mr. Robot”: “Unauthorized”
Rosanne Tan

BEST EDITED DRAMA SERIES FOR NON-COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:
Euphoria: Pilot

Julio C. Perez IV
Game of Thrones: “The Long Night” :ph34r:
Tim Porter

See the source image
Mindhunter: Episode 2
Kirk Baxter
Watchmen: “It’s Summer and We’re Running Out of Ice”
David Eisenberg

BEST EDITED MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE FOR TELEVISION:
Chernobyl: “Vichnaya Pamyat” :ph34r:
Jinx Godfrey, Simon Smith
Fosse/Verdon: “Life is a Cabaret”
Tim Streeto
When They See Us: Part 1
Terilyn A. Shropshire

BEST EDITED NON-SCRIPTED SERIES:
Deadliest Catch: “Triple Jeopardy”

Ben Bulatao, Rob Butler, Isaiah Camp, Greg Cornejo, Joe Mikan
Surviving R. Kelly: “All The Missing Girls”
Stephanie Neroes, Sam Citron, LaRonda Morris, Rachel Cushing, Justin Goll, Masayoshi
Matsuda, Kyle Schadt
Vice Investigates: “Amazon on Fire” :ph34r:
Cameron Dennis, Kelly Kendrick, Joe Matoske, Ryo Ikegami

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2020 at 3:34 AM, jakeem said:

close call, but the CGI and Downey are more popular   He's among top 3 highest $paid$ actors today, only Dwayne Johnson gets more $dough$

As for me gonna go to 1917 instead

Some things to consider before watching the 92nd annual Academy Awards ceremony, which will air  Sunday, February 9, 2020 on ABC:

A member of one of Hollywood's most distinguished families, composer Thomas Newman has earned a Primetime Emmy Award (for his haunting theme to the onetime HBO series "Six Feet Under") and five Grammys for various television and film projects. But he has never won an Academy Award after 14 previous nominations. 

He has been honored with an Oscar bid for the 15th time for his original score for "1917," which marks his seventh collaboration with director Sam Mendes.

Newman's father was the legendary composer Alfred Newman (1901-1970), who created the 20th Century-Fox fanfare and earned 45 Academy Award nominations. He won nine times.

Alfred's brother Lionel (1916-1989), who scored more than 200 films and television productions,  was nominated for 11 Oscars and shared a statuette with Lennie Hayton for their work on the 1970 musical "Hello Dolly."  He also co-created the catchy theme song for the NBC series "Daniel Boone," which ran from 1964 to 1970.

Thomas Newman's brother David also is a composer who has scored more than 100 films.

Adding to Thomas' anxiety about the upcoming Oscar night is the fact that he'll be competing against another Newman heavyweight. His  cousin Randy, a two-time Academy Award winner, is nominated in the Original Score category  for his musical contributions to the drama "Marriage Story." He also is nominated in the Best Original Song category for "I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away" from "Toy Story 4."

Randy Newman knows from personal experience how frustrating Oscar hopes can be. He went winless 15 times before he finally won the 2001 Best Original Song award for "If I Didn't Have You" from the animated film "Monsters, Inc." He triumphed again nine years later with "We Belong Together" from the 2010 animated sequel "Toy Story 3."

Image result for composer thomas newman

Thomas Newman is hoping for his first Academy Award victory after 15th nominations

As for his work on "1917," Thomas Newman knew from the start that he would have to make adjustments. The World War I drama is shot as if it was the story of a continuous series of events.

"I knew going in that this was going to be a first time for everyone, because of this present-tense thing," Newman told Steve Pond of The Wrap. "I had to constantly be thinking about what worked and what didn’t — and why it worked when it did, and why it didn’t work when it didn’t."

He added: "Any time I tried to write music that commented on what was happening, it didn’t make the movie as exciting. I had to stay in the present tense and not try to outsell or outmaneuver what you were seeing on screen."

Here is a list of Newman's overall Oscar nominations:

• "The Shawshank Redemption" (1994). Best Original Score.
  • "Little Women" (1994). Best Original Score.
  • "Unstrung Heroes" (1995). Best Original Music or Comedy Score.
  • "American Beauty" (1999). Best Original Score.
  • "Road to Perdition" (2002). Best Original Score.
  • "Finding Nemo" (2003). Best Original Score.
  • "A Series of Unfortunate Events" (2004). Best Original Score.
  • "The Good German" (2006). Best Original Score.
  • "WALL-E" (2008). Best Original Score.
  • "WALL-E" (2008). Best Original Song (for "Down to Earth," shared with Peter Gabriel).
  • "Skyfall" (2012). Best Original Score.
  • "Saving Mr. Banks" (2013). Best Original Score.
  • "Bridge of Spies" (2015). Best Original Score.
  • "Passengers" (2016). Best Original Score.
  • "1917" (2019). Best Original Score.
  • Like 1

"1917," based on the World War I memories of writer-director-producer Sam Mendes' grandfather, took a big step Saturday night toward becoming the favorite for the 2019 Best Picture Oscar.  The production won the top prize at the 31st annual Producers Guild of America Awards in Hollywood.

The 2019 Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures went to Mendes (pictured below), Pippa Harris, Jayne‐Ann Tenggren and  Callum McDougall.

"1917" won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture -- Drama on January 5, 2020.

"This film was inspired by my grandfather and my hope above all was to honor his experience," Mendes said in accepting his PGA award. "I have to pay tribute to the efforts on the part of every single member of this crew and cast."

Image result for Sam Mendes PGA award

The Producers Guild award is considered a bellwether of a film's chances of winning the Academy Award for Best Picture. In the history of the PGA awards, the winner has gone on to claim the top Oscar 21 times, including last year. "Green Book" won both the 2018 PGA award and the Oscar statuette. So did "The Shape of Water" in 2017.

Here is the list of winners:

FILM

Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures
"1917"
Producers: Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne‐Ann Tenggren, Callum McDougall

Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures
"Toy Story 4" (Disney/Pixar)
Producers: Mark Nielsen, Jonas Rivera

Outstanding Producer of Documentary Theatrical Motion Pictures
"Apollo 11" (Neon)

TELEVISION

The Danny Thomas Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television – Comedy
"Fleabag' (Season 2; Amazon Prime)
Producers: Phoebe Waller‐Bridge, Harry Bradbeer, Lydia Hampson, Harry Williams, Jack Williams, Joe Lewis, Sarah Hammond

The Norman Felton Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television – Drama
"Succession" (Season 2; HBO)
Producers: Jesse Armstrong, Adam McKay, Frank Rich, Kevin Messick, Mark Mylod, Jane Tranter, Tony Roche, Scott Ferguson, Jon Brown, Georgia Pritchett, Will Tracy, Jonathan Glatzer, Dara Schnapper, Gabrielle Mahon

The David L. Wolper Award for Outstanding Producer of Limited Series Television
"Chernobyl" (HBO)
Producers: Craig Mazin, Carolyn Strauss, Jane Featherstone, Johan Renck, Chris Fry, Sanne Wohlenberg 

The Award for Outstanding Producer of Streamed or Televised Motion Pictures
"Apollo: Missions to the Moon" (National Geographic)

Outstanding Producer of Live Entertainment & Talk Television
"Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" (Season 6; HBO)

Outstanding Producer of Game & Competition Television
"RuPaul's Drag Race" (Season 11; VH1)
Producers: Fenton Bailey, Randy Barbato, Tom Campbell, Mandy Salangsang, RuPaul Charles, Steven Corfe, Bruce McCoy, Michele Mills, Jacqueline Wilson, Thairin Smothers, John Polly, Michelle Visage, Jen Passovoy

Outstanding Producer of Non-Fiction Television
"Leaving Neverland" (HBO)
Producer: Dan Reed

Outstanding Children’s Program
"Sesame Street" (Season 49)

Outstanding Sports Program
"What’s My Name: Muhammad Ali"

Outstanding Short-Form Program
"Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" (Season 11)

The PGA Innovation Award
"Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series – Episode I"

HONORARY AWARDS

The Stanley Kramer Award
"Bombshell" (Lionsgate)

The Norman Lear Achievement in Television Award
Marta Kauffman

The Milestone Award
Ted Sarandos

The Visionary Award
Octavia Spencer

The Charles FitzSimons Award 
Mari Jo Winkler

The David O. Selznick Achievement Award in Theatrical Motion Picture
Plan B co-producers Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner 
  • Thanks 1

Some things to consider before watching the 92nd annual Academy Awards ceremony, which will air  Sunday, February 9, 2020 on ABC:

Brad Pitt appears to be on the road to winning his first acting Academy Award for his "supporting" performance in Quentin Tarantino's nostalgic film "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood. But don't feel bad for him if his name isn't called on Oscar night.

Remember, he already has a gold statuette. His production company -- Plan B Entertainment -- was responsible for "12 Years a Slave," the  2013 historical drama that won three Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Pitt shared the top Oscar with the British filmmaker Steve McQueen (pictured below with the actor-producer) and Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Anthony Katagas.

Related image

Plan B was created in 2001 by Pitt, his then-wife Jennifer Aniston and the late producer Brad Grey (Aniston dissolved her interest in the production company when she and Pitt divorced). The company also has been behind two other Best Picture winners -- "The Departed" (2006) and "Moonlight" (2016). Among its other films or co-productions: "The Tree of Life" (2011, a Best Picture nominee that starred Pitt); "Selma" (2014, also a Best Picture nominee); "The Big Short" (2015, another Best Picture nominee); "Vice" (2018, yet another Best Picture nominee); and "Okja" (an acclaimed 2017 Netflix release about a giant pig  that was directed, co-written and co-produced by the South Korean filmmaker Bong Joon-ho).

Image result for Brad Pitt producers guild awards

On Saturday night, Pitt and his Plan B partners Gardner and Kleiner  were honored with the Producers Guild of America's David O. Selznick Achievement Award in Theatrical Motion Pictures. The PGA cited the company "for producing stories that have breathed new life into some of the seminal — and in some cases, most painful — episodes of our shared history." During his acceptance speech, Pitt talked about wearing a producer's hat.

"When I started out as an actor," he said, "I wondered about producers– just what the **** do they do besides sitting around all set on day and come to my trailer? I'm now painfully aware of all that you do, and I commend you all.

"I think our job as producers...we're ultimately protectors, protectors of the storytellers, and I find that to be an awesome responsibility. And with every film that comes out, I know it took someone like you to champion it, and I thank you for that. Plan B, I have no regrets, except sharing our name with an emergency contraceptive pill. Didn't see that one coming. I couldn't define the alchemy of our little garage band, I just know it doesn't work without my partners."

Here is a list of  Pitt's overall Academy Award nominations (Oscar win is in bold):

• "Twelve Monkeys" (1995). Best Supporting Actor.
  • "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (2008). Best Actor.
  • "Moneyball" (2011). Best Picture, shared with producers Michael De Luca and Rachael Horovitz.
  • "Moneyball" (2011). Best Actor. 
  • "12 Years a Slave" (2013). Best Picture, shared with producers Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Steve McQueen  and Anthony Katagas.
  • "The Big Short" (2015). Best Picture, shared with Gardner and Kleiner.
  • "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood" (2019). Best Supporting Actor.
  • Thanks 1

SAG Awards nominations (films):

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role:
Christian Bale (“Ford v Ferrari”)
Leonardo DiCaprio (“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”)
Adam Driver (“Marriage Story”)
Taron Egerton (“Rocketman”)
Joaquin Phoenix (“Joker”)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role:
Cynthia Erivo (“Harriet”)
Scarlett Johansson (“Marriage Story”)
Lupita Nyong’o (“Us”)
Charlize Theron (“Bombshell”)
Renée Zellweger (“Judy”)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role:
Jamie Foxx (“Just Mercy”)
Tom Hanks (“A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”)
Al Pacino (“The Irishman”)
Joe Pesci (“The Irishman”)
Brad Pitt (“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role:
Laura Dern (“Marriage Story”)
Scarlett Johansson (“Jojo Rabbit”)
Nicole Kidman (“Bombshell”)
Jennifer Lopez (“Hustlers”)
Margot Robbie (“Bombshell”)

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture:
“Bombshell” (Lionsgate)
“The Irishman” (Netflix)
“Jojo Rabbit” (Fox)
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” (Sony)
“Parasite” (Neon)

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture:
“Avengers: Endgame”
“Ford v Ferrari”
“The Irishman”
“Joker”
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”

SAG Awards nominations (television):

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries:
Mahershala Ali (“True Detective”)
Russell Crowe (“The Loudest Voice”)
Jared Harris (“Chernobyl”)
Jharrel Jerome (“When They See Us”)
Sam Rockwell (“Fosse/Verdon”)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries:
Patricia Arquette (“The Act”)
Toni Collette (“Unbelievable”)
Joey King (“The Act”)
Emily Watson (“Chernobyl”)
Michelle Williams (“Fosse/Verdon”)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series:
Sterling K. Brown (“This Is Us”)
Steve Carell (“The Morning Show”)
Billy Crudup (“The Morning Show”)
Peter Dinklage (“Game of Thrones”)
David Harbour (“Stranger Things”)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series:
Jennifer Aniston (“The Morning Show”)
Helena Bonham Carter (“The Crown”)
Olivia Colman (“The Crown”)
Jodie Comer (“Killing Eve”)
Elisabeth Moss (“The Handmaid’s Tale”)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series:
Alan Arkin (“The Kominsky Method”)
Michael Douglas (“The Kominsky Method”)
Bill Hader (“Barry”)
Andrew Scott (“Fleabag”)
Tony Shalhoub (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series:
Cristina Applegate (“Dead to Me”)
Alex Borstein (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)
Rachel Brosnahan (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)
Catherine O’Hara (“Schitt’s Creek”)
Phoebe Waller-Bridge (“Fleabag”)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series:
“Big Little Lies” (HBO)
“The Crown” (Netflix)
“Game of Thrones” (HBO)
“The Handmaid’s Tale” (Hulu)
“Stranger Things” (Netflix)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series:
“Barry” (HBO)
“Fleabag” (Amazon)
“The Kominsky Method”
“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Amazon)
“Schitt’s Creek” (CBC Television)

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series:
“Game of Thrones”
“GLOW”
“Stranger Things”
“The Walking Dead”
“Watchman”

• Thanks 1

The South Korean hit "Parasite" became the first international film to win the Screen Actors Guild award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture. The 26th annual SAG ceremony was held Sunday night and televised live by sister cable stations TNT and TBS.

Since the SAG prizes are awarded for acting, "Parasite" director Bong Joon-ho watched from the audience as his cast members accepted the top movie award.  

"Although the title is 'Parasite,' I think the story is about co-existence and how we can all live together," said actor Song Kang-ho,  who spoke through an interpreter. "But to be honored with the best ensemble award, it occurs to me that maybe we haven't created such a bad movie. I'm so honored to receive this award in front of such amazing actors that I admire. I will never forget this beautiful night. Thank you so much."

Image result for parasite wins sag awards

On the television side, Season 3 of Amazon Prime's "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" won the award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series as well as for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series (Tony Shalhoub).

The award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series went to Season 3 of "The Crown," the acclaimed Netflix series about the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.

Among the memorable moments of the night: Friendly exes Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston congratulated each other backstage after winning SAG Awards. Pitt's work in Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood earned him the award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role. Aniston won the award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series. She starred in Apple Plus TV's "The Morning Show." 

Image result for Brad Pitt and Jennifer aniston sag awards

Here is a complete list of the winners at the 26th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards: 

MOVIES

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Renée Zellweger (“Judy”)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
“Parasite”

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture

TELEVISION 

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series
Michelle Williams (“Fosse/Verdon”)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
Jennifer Aniston (“The Morning Show”)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Phoebe Waller-Bridge (“Fleabag”)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

“The Crown” (Netflix)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Amazon Prime)

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series
“Game of Thrones” 

SAG LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD 
Robert De Niro

Image result for Robert De Niro SAG awards

• "If I have a bigger voice because of my situation, I am going to use it whenever I see a blatant misuse of power," the veteran actor said during his acceptance speech. 
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The 67th annual Motion Picture Sound Editors' Golden Reel Awards were awarded on Sunday. The awards are presented by the honorary society MPSE to acknowledge the year's best work in the various areas of sound editing: Dialogue, ADR, Effects, Foley and Music. .

Here is the full list of feature film winners :

Feature – Dialogue / ADR

Supervising Sound Editor: Oliver Tarney, MPSE
Dialogue Editor: Rachael Tate, MPSE

Feature – Sound Effects / Foley

Ford v Ferrari

Supervising Sound Editor: Donald Sylvester
Sound Designers: Jay Wilkenson, David Giammarco
Sound Effects Editor: Eric Norris, MPSE
Foley Editor: Anna MacKenzie

Feature – Music Underscore

JoJo Rabbit

Music Editor: Paul Apelgren

Feature – Documentary

Echo in the Canyon

Sound Designer: Robby Stambler, MPSE
Dialogue Editor:  Sal Ojeda, MPSE

Feature – Foreign Language

Parasite

Supervising Sound Editor: Choi Tae Young
Sound Designer: Kang Hye Young
Supervising ADR Editor: Kim Byung In
Sound Effects Editors: Kang Hye Young
Foley Artists: Park Sung Gyun, Lee Chung Gyu
Foley Editor: Shin I Na

Feature – Musical

Rocketman

Music Editors: Andy Patterson, Cecile Tournesac

Feature – Animation

Toy Story 4

Supervising Sound Editor: Coya Elliott
Sound Designer: Ren Klyce
Supervising Dialogue Editor: Cheryl Nardi
Sound Effects Editors: Kimberly Patrick, Qianbaihui Yang, Jonathon Stevens
Foley Editors: Thom Brennan, James Spencer
Foley Artists:  John Roesch,MPSE, Shelley Roden, MPSE

• Thanks 1

"Parasite" was named Best Picture of 2019 by the  Latino Entertainment Journalists Association (LEJA), an organization in its second year of issuing film awards.  The South Korean black comedy also received awards for Best Director (Bong Joon-ho), Best International Feature, Best Original Screenplay (Bong and Jin Won-han) and Best Film Editing (Jinmo Yang).

Related image

The World War I drama "1917" collected four technical awards: Best Score (Thomas Newman), Best Cinematography (Roger Deakins), Best Production & Set Design (Dennis Gasner, Lee Sandales) and Best Sound Design (Stuart Wilson, Scott Millan, Mark Taylor and Oliver Tarney.

Jennifer Lopez was voted two awards: Best Supporting Actress for her performance in "Hustlers" and the LEJA's Rita Moreno Lifetime Achievement Award,

Image result for jennifer lopez images

Here is the full list of nominees and winners:

Best Picture
“1917”
“The Farewell”
“Hustlers”
“The Irishman”
“Marriage Story”
“Monos”
“Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood”
“Pain and Glory”
“Parasite” :ph34r:
“The Two Popes”

Best Director
Pedro Almodovar, “Pain and Glory”
Bong Joon-ho, “Parasite” :ph34r:
Fernando Meirelles, “The Two Popes”
Sam Mendes, “1917”
Martin Scorsese, “The Irishman”
Lulu Wang, “The Farewell”

Best Actor
Antonio Banderas, “Pain and Glory”
Leonardo DiCaprio, “Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood”
Adam Driver, “Marriage Story”
Joaquin Phoenix, “Joker” :ph34r:
Juan Pablo Olyslager, “Temblores”
Adam Sandler, “Uncut Gems”

Best  Actress
Awkwafina, "The Farewell” :ph34r:
Ana de Armas, “Knives Out”
Gabriela Cartol, “The Chambermaid”
Scarlett Johansson, “Marriage Story”
Lupita Nyong’o, “Us”

Renée Zellweger, “Judy”

Best Supporting Actor
Moises Arias, “Monos”
Willem Dafoe, “The Lighthouse”
Anthony Hopkins, “The Two Popes”
Al Pacino, “The Irishman”
Joe Pesci, “The Irishman”
Brad Pitt, “Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood” :ph34r:

Best Supporting Actress
Laura Dern, “Marriage Story”
Jennifer Lopez, “Hustlers” :ph34r:
Fernanda Montenegro, “Invisible Life”
Margot Robbie, “Bombshell”
Taylor Russell, “Waves”
Zhao Shuzhen, “The Farewell”

Best Voice/Motion Performance
Tony Hale, “Toy Story 4”
Tom Hanks, “Toy Story 4”
Shirley Henderson, “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
Rosa Salazar, “Alita: Battle Angel” :ph34r:
Will Smith, “Aladdin”
Danny Trejo, “Dora and the Lost City of Gold”

Best Animated Feature
“Frozen II”
“How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World”
“I Lost My Body”
“Klaus”
“Missing Link”
“Toy Story 4” :ph34r:

Best International Feature
“The Chambermaid”
“Invisible Life”
“Monos”
“Pain and Glory”
“Portrait of a Lady on Fire”

Best Documentary Feature
“American Factory”
“Apollo 11”
“The Edge of Democracy”
“Knock Down the House” :ph34r:
“One Child Nation”
“Midnight Family”

Best Original Screenplay
“The Farewell”
“Knives Out”
“Marriage Story”
“Pain and Glory”
“Tigers Are Not Afraid”

Best Adapted Screenplay
“Hustlers”
“The Irishman”
“Invisible Life”
“Joker”
“Little Women”:ph34r: 
“The Two Popes”

Best Ensemble Casting
“Hustlers”
“The Irishman”
“Knives Out” :ph34r:
“Monos”
“Parasite”

Best Production & Set Design
“1917”:ph34r: 
“Invisible Life”
“The Irishman”
“Knives Out”
“The Two Popes”

Best Cinematography
“1917” :ph34r:
“Birds of Passage”
“Ford v Ferrari”
“The Irishman”
“Joker”
“Monos”

Best Costume Design
“Birds of Passage”
“Dolemite Is My Name” :ph34r:
“Hustlers”
“Little Women”
“Rocketman”

Best Film Editing
“1917”
“Ford v Ferrari”
“The Irishman”
“Parasite”:ph34r: 
“The Two Popes”
“Uncut Gems”

Best Hair & Makeup
“Bombshell” :ph34r:
“Dolemite Is My Name”
“Hustlers”
“Invisible Life”
“Joker”

Best Sound Design
“1917” :ph34r:
“Ad Astra”
“Ford v Ferrari”
“The Irishman”
“Monos”
“Tigers Are Not Afraid”

Best Visual Effects
“1917”
“Ad Astra”
“Alita: Battle Angel”
“Avengers: Endgame” :ph34r:
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
“Tigers Are Not Afraid”

Best Stunts
“1917”
“Avengers: Endgame” :ph34r:
“Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw”
“Ford v Ferrari”
“John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum”
“Terminator: Dark Fate”

Best Score
“1917” - Thomas Newman :ph34r:
“Joker” - Hildur Guðnadóttir
“Little Women” - Alexandre Desplat
“Marriage Story” - Randy Newman
“Monos” - Mica Levi
“Us” - Michael Abels

Best Song
“Speechless” - “Aladdin”
“Into the Unknown” - “Frozen II”
“Stand Up” - “Harriet”
“Yo Soy el Fuego” - “La Flor”
“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” - “Rocketman” :ph34r:
“Glasgow (No Place Like Home)” - “Wild Rose”

RITA MORENO LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Given to a member of the entertainment industry who has exemplified integrity, honor, and service to Latinx voices in their lifetime
RECIPIENT: Jennifer Lopez

LATINO ACTIVISM AWARD
Given to a person who has fought for the rights and equality for Latinos in various sectors of not just entertainment, but in humanity and reform.
RECIPIENT: Eva Longoria Bastón

LATINO BREAKOUT AWARD
Awarded to a LATINX filmmaker, performer, or crafts person who made an impact on the year in film
RECEIPENT: Ana de Armas - "Knives Out," "The Informer," and "Wasp Network"

Image result for Ana de armas

• The Cuban-born De Armas' career took off in 2019 (she also appears in a deleted scene from the DVD version of Danny Boyle's "Yesterday"). She will reunite with her "Knives Out" co-star Daniel Craig in the James Bond thriller "No Time to Die," scheduled to be released in April.
  • Thanks 1

today's movie titles really suck because you can't figure out what the bleep they mean?

Ford vs Ferrari what the hell is that? these Hollywood liberals tell themselves they're bleeping geniuses right after they think up a title.

a good film title should at least tell the public what the film is about.

On 1/18/2020 at 12:19 PM, jakeem said:

A member of one of Hollywood's most distinguished families, composer Thomas Newman has earned a Primetime Emmy Award (for his haunting theme to the onetime HBO series "Six Feet Under") and five Grammys for various television and film projects. But he has never won an Academy Award after 14 previous nominations. 

He has been honored with an Oscar bid for the 15th time for his original score for "1917," which marks his seventh collaboration with director Sam Mendes.

Newman's father was the legendary composer Alfred Newman (1901-1970), who created the 20th Century-Fox fanfare and earned 45 Academy Award nominations. He won nine times.

Alfred's brother Lionel (1916-1989), who scored more than 200 films and television productions,  was nominated for 11 Oscars and shared a statuette with Lennie Hayton for their work on the 1970 musical "Hello Dolly."  He also co-created the catchy theme song for the NBC series "Daniel Boone," which ran from 1964 to 1970.

Thomas Newman's brother David also is a composer who has scored more than 100 films.

Adding to Thomas' anxiety about the upcoming Oscar night is the fact that he'll be competing against another Newman heavyweight. His  cousin Randy, a two-time Academy Award winner, is nominated in the Original Score category  for his musical contributions to the drama "Marriage Story." He also is nominated in the Best Original Song category for "I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away" from "Toy Story 4."

Randy Newman knows from personal experience how frustrating Oscar hopes can be. He went winless 15 times before he finally won the 2001 Best Original Song award for "If I Didn't Have You" from the animated film "Monsters, Inc." He triumphed again nine years later with "We Belong Together" from the 2010 animated sequel "Toy Story 3."

Thomas Newman is hoping for his first Academy Award victory after 15th nominations

As for his work on "1917," Thomas Newman knew from the start that he would have to make adjustments. The World War I drama is shot as if it was the story of a continuous series of events.

"I knew going in that this was going to be a first time for everyone, because of this present-tense thing," Newman told Steve Pond of The Wrap. "I had to constantly be thinking about what worked and what didn’t — and why it worked when it did, and why it didn’t work when it didn’t."

He added: "Any time I tried to write music that commented on what was happening, it didn’t make the movie as exciting. I had to stay in the present tense and not try to outsell or outmaneuver what you were seeing on screen."

• "WALL-E" (2008). Best Original Song (for "Down to Earth," shared with Peter Gabriel).

It's asinine he has yet ton score an Oscar???     

Especially for Shawshank...though I predicted that yr The Lion King (Hans Zimmer) would take it

On 1/19/2020 at 2:31 PM, jakeem said:

The South Korean hit "Parasite" became the first international film to win the Screen Actors Guild award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture. The 26th annual SAG ceremony was held Sunday night and televised live by sister cable stations TNT and TBS.

Since the SAG prizes are awarded for acting, "Parasite" director Bong Joon-ho watched from the audience as his cast members accepted the top movie award.  

"Although the title is 'Parasite,' I think the story is about co-existence and how we can all live together," said actor Song Kang-ho,  who spoke through an interpreter. "But to be honored with the best ensemble award, it occurs to me that maybe we haven't created such a bad movie. I'm so honored to receive this award in front of such amazing actors that I admire. I will never forget this beautiful night. Thank you so much."

Image result for parasite wins sag awards

On the television side, Season 3 of Amazon Prime's "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" won the award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series as well as for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series (Tony Shalhoub).

The award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series went to Season 3 of "The Crown," the acclaimed Netflix series about the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.

Among the memorable moments of the night: Friendly exes Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston congratulated each other backstage after winning SAG Awards. Pitt's work in Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood earned him the award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role. Aniston won the award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series. She starred in Apple TV's "The Morning Show." 

Image result for Brad Pitt and Jennifer aniston sag awards

Here is a complete list of the winners at the 26th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards: 

MOVIES

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Renée Zellweger (“Judy”)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
“Parasite”

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture

TELEVISION 

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series
Michelle Williams (“Fosse/Verdon”)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
Jennifer Aniston (“The Morning Show”)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Phoebe Waller-Bridge (“Fleabag”)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

“The Crown” (Netflix)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Amazon Prime)

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series
“Game of Thrones” 

SAG LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD 
Robert De Niro

Image result for Robert De Niro SAG awards

• "If I have a bigger voice because of my situation, I am going to use it whenever I see a blatant misuse of power," the veteran actor said during his acceptance speech. 

He almost got political but kept it in

On 1/18/2020 at 8:06 AM, spence said:

close call, but the CGI and Downey are more popular   He's among top 3 highest $paid$ actors today, only Dwayne Johnson gets more $dough$

As for me gonna go to 1917 instead

Probably Bad Boys III

44 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

today's movie titles really suck because you can't figure out what the bleep they mean?

Ford vs Ferrari what the hell is that? these Hollywood liberals tell themselves they're bleeping geniuses right after they think up a title.

a good film title should at least tell the public what the film is about.

Maybe you would prefer the movie's European title, n'est-ce-pas?

Affiche Le Mans 66

On 1/18/2020 at 12:19 PM, jakeem said:

excellent work again   If anything defeats it this time it will likely be The Joker

7 hours ago, jakeem said:

As it stands right now & looking ahead my still early-(until 7 days prior)  predictions only in the top 6 major races are> 1917, J. Phoenix, Renee Zellweger, Brad Pit, Laura Dern & Sam Mendes

3 minutes ago, spence said:

excellent work again   If anything defeats it this time it will likely be The Joker

& yet Randy did Ragtime, The Natural, Avalon & lots more