Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

Awards season 2019-2020

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

Well, these things are cyclical, I guess. I remember reading once after Marty won Best Picture, all the nominees in that category next year were mega-epics in Technicolor, almost in direct opposition to it: 80 DaysTen CommandmentsKing & IGiantFriendly Persuasion.

I don't even know what Laura Dern wold be up for, though I don't generally pay attention to what movies haven't been released yet (unless I've been bombarded with trailers).

Laura Dern's film is Marriage Story, a film where she plays a high-powered divorce attorney. She's been getting raves for it (the film is also regarded as a shoo-in for a Best Picture nomination and two other performers, Adam Driver and Scarlett johannson, and might be able to pull down a nod for Alan Alda as well), and being a Netflix production, most will be able to see it within the next few weeks. She also has a supporting part as the mother in Little Women at year's end, another big "prestige" production.

As for the big films, I think its a blend of several things: a response in part to all of the articles kvetching at the Academy for not nominating the "popular" movies, to the element that with the incoming of Netflix and Amazon, the shrinking of the independent film market, the scare last year over the popular film category, and maybe even some residual shuddering at some of the Miramax/Weinstein Oscar campaigns.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Laura Dern's film is Marriage Story, a film where she plays a high-powered divorce attorney. She's been getting raves for it (the film is also regarded as a shoo-in for Best Picture and two other performers, Adam Driver and Scarlett johannson, and might be able to pull down a nod for Alan Alda as well), and being a Netflix production, most will be able to see it within the next few weeks. She also has a supporting part as the mother in Little Women at year's end, another big "prestige" production.

As for the big films, I think its a blend of several things: a response in part to all of the articles kvetching at the Academy for not nominating the "popular" movies, to the element that with the incoming of Netflix and Amazon, the shrinking of the independent film market, the scare last year over the popular film category, and maybe even some residual shuddering at some of the Miramax/Weinstein Oscar campaigns.

ScarJo has never been nominated for an Oscar, despite her memorable work opposite Bill Murray in "Lost in Translation" (2003). That could change during this awards season. In addition to her being mentioned as a Best Actress nominee for "Marriage Story," she could compete with Dern, JLo and other Best Supporting Actress hopefuls for her performance in the much-talked-about World War II satire "Jojo Rabbit" (pictured below).

See the source image

6 minutes ago, jakeem said:

ScarJo has never been nominated for an Oscar, despite her memorable work opposite Bill Murray in "Lost in Translation" (2003). That could change during this awards season. In addition to her being mentioned as a Best Actress nominee for "Marriage Story," she could compete with Dern, JLo and other Best Supporting Actress hopefuls for her performance in the much-talked-about World War II satire "Jojo Rabbit" (pictured below).

See the source image

She'll definitely get in for Marriage Story. Jojo is a bit of a question mark so far, but I think she has a chance at that last slot.

LAFCA_logo_square_bigger.jpg

LAFCA is very pleased to announce that Elaine May will be the recipient of this year's Career Achievement award. We will be honoring this legendary actress/writer/director at our annual awards dinner on Jan. 11, 2020.

2:48 PM · Oct 31, 2019·Twitter Web App
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bob_strauss_01_twitter_bigger.jpg

There are 3 hours of great movie in #TheIrishman. Yes, I know it's 3 1/2 hours long (could lose lots of the driving). But scene after scene is astonishingly staged and acted. #AlPacino's a wildfire. #RobertDeNiro seems a bit inhibited by digital de-aging, but tops once it's gone.

12:21 PM · Nov 1, 2019·Twitter Web App

LnvhR8ED_bigger.png

CNN

The original "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" was a hit with both critics and comic book fans when it was released in 2018. Now, fans of the Oscar-winning film have a sequel to look forward to.
12:46 AM · Nov 2, 2019·SocialFlow

Po8lHinI_bigger.jpeg

“They’re not easy to make, they’re a lot of very talented people doing good work, a lot of young people really really enjoy them." In a recent interview, Martin Scorsese was kinder about superhero movies, while not quite walking back his earlier comments
7:14 PM · Nov 4, 2019·SocialFlow