Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

Awards season 2019-2020

I wonder if The Tony Awards will still be presented on June 7th.  :(

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

facepalm.jpg

giphy.gif

I'm not taking sides here, but name someone else who could have played Tracy Flick in "Election" and Elle Woods in the "Legally Blonde" movies. 

See the source imageSee the source image

• Like 1

Maybe if I ever had any interest in seeing Legally Blonde. But I don't, so I won't.😎

27 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Maybe if I ever had any interest in seeing Legally Blonde. But I don't, so I won't.😎

Plus Siskel and Ebert raved about her performance in her 1991 film debut -- "The Man in the Moon" -- shot when she was 14.

See the source image

She pretty much lived up to their early opinions of her.

See the source image

4 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I wonder if The Tony Awards will still be presented on June 7th.  :(

Who knows? I'm not sure they've absolutely, positively ruled out the Cannes Film Festival.

As this year's jury president Spike Lee said: “Everybody has to pray, get on bended knee, pray we get out of this, find a vaccine, get back on our feet – physically, emotionally and financially worldwide.”

Spike Lee at the Cannes film festival in 2018.

• Like 1

cB5HEZle_bigger.jpg

Possibly this will be useful to you: Here are the 9 movies that you can suddenly watch at home either now or Tuesday for roughly the cost of one movie ticket. Like #Emma and #Onward Pixar_Onward_TwoBrothers_2020.png and #TheInvisibleMan     .
12:10 AM · Mar 22, 2020·TweetDeck

I wonder how the movie theater closures will affect cable and streaming services. Will they further increase their prices, or will they drop them to gain more customers? 🤔

On 3/20/2020 at 1:35 PM, jakeem said:

bob_strauss_01_twitter_bigger.jpg

Saw 1st 3 episodes of #LittleFiresEverywhere Hulu_LittleFiresEverywhere_2020_Design2. . Felt like a #getout/#StepfordWives thing with the fantasy factors missing. Very different mothers dealing with very different, plentiful problems. I'm not target audience, but I dig it b/c #ReeseWitherspoon is our greatest actress.

8:46 PM · Mar 18, 2020·Twitter Web App

On 3/20/2020 at 6:32 PM, LawrenceA said:

facepalm.jpg

giphy.gif

I like Witherspoon, but I do think that her first performance (Man in the Moon) was her best. That was a wonderful film. She's appealing, but I would't call her the best we have though.....

40 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I like Witherspoon, but I do think that her first performance (Man in the Moon) was her best. That was a wonderful film. She's appealing, but I would't call her the best we have though.....

Well, Witherspoon will never be the best as long as Meryl Streep continues to act. But she's been a force of nature since she began co-producing as well as performing in projects (i.e. "Wild," the "Big Little Lies" series, "The Morning Show" on Apple TV+ (with her "Friends" big sister Jennifer Aniston) and "Little Fires Everywhere"). She also co-produced the 2014 film version of the best seller "Gone Girl," although she didn't  appear in it.

Image result for reese witherspoon tv projects

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

But she's been a force of nature 

As an actress who's about to turn 44, she rocks!

See the source image

3 minutes ago, jakeem said:

As an actress who's about to turn 44, she rocks!

I'm really just giving you a hard time. 😁

I've liked her in some things, like the aforementioned Election, as well as Freeway, and Pleasantville. I've liked a few other films that she's appeared in (Walk the LineTwilight [the Paul Newman movie, not the twinkly vamp flick], American PsychoMudInherent Vice) but not because of her presence in them. 

Her high-energy southern belle-lite persona in other things has been irritating for me, perhaps because it reminded me a bit of people I grew up with.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Her high-energy southern belle-lite persona in other things has been irritating for me, perhaps because it reminded me a bit of people I grew up with.

In my book, the fact that she's a genuine Southern belle (born in New Orleans, reared in Nashville) makes her eminently watchable.

See the source image

• Like 1

Oops! A correction: Today is her 44th birthday!

See the source image

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've liked a few other films that she's appeared in (Walk the LineTwilight [the Paul Newman movie, not the twinkly vamp flick],

I liked her in Twilight.

Hoo-boy, did I like her in Twilight!

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2020 at 6:18 AM, jakeem said:

Exclusive: China to rerelease 'Avengers' franchise, 'Avatar' to boost reopening cinemas

I wonder if they are prematurely returning to business as usual. After all, no one knows yet if you can't be reinfected if you already had COVID-19. The 1918 Flu came back in two more waves. Others still might contract the virus if it hasn't mostly been contained.

12 hours ago, jakeem said:

I'm glad they still plan to celebrate it at some point. :)