Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

Awards season 2019-2020

Po8lHinI_bigger.jpeg

The theater industry is bracing for a long, difficult recovery period, with astronomical losses and insiders anticipating further postponements to the reopening date.

The three-month shutdown will bring losses in box office revenue conservatively estimated at $500 million, with the hit to theater-district businesses fed by the Broadway economy pushing that total to well over $1 billion

12:36 PM · Apr 8, 2020·SocialFlow
  • Sad 1

Po8lHinI_bigger.jpeg

If theaters are closed for three months,  North American box office revenue will struggle to hit $7 billion for the year -- the lowest figure in more than two decades and nearly 40 percent behind 2019

8:35 AM · Apr 8, 2020·SocialFlow

bob_strauss_01_twitter_bigger.jpg

Aw, #mortdrucker. #Mad magazine's movie parody master taught me as much about cinema, in his easy-to-read-comic-book-form way, as #AndrewSarris later did. Also drew dead-on political caricatures and detailed movie posters, including #AmericanGraffiti's.

2:52 PM · Apr 9, 2020·Twitter Web App
  • Thanks 1

Po8lHinI_bigger.jpeg

Filmmakers worry that screening their features online with #SXSW's Amazon offer, even for a short window, could impact the future sales prospects of their titles: "Showing things for free isn't going to make a dent"
11:09 AM · Apr 9, 2020·SocialFlow

I know people love it watching from home, not me though, will always prefer GOING TO THE THEATRE!

Scorsese had more Oscars & $Box-0ffice$ backfire on him with his gangster epic THE IRISHMAN It went 0 for 10 & made nada at the $B.O.$ 

& when it was first released many were hailing it among the greatest ever made & by anyone

THE TWO=-POPES was another example

But, unfortunately we don't have that choice, huh

Last release I went to, was in no hurry & tried to go to several others first because given it's $B.O.$ knew it would stay around was SW 9 (**1/2) & my gut told me even on that day they were gonna start closing the theaters

Before that went to l9l7

It's come to this: Reviewing a movie called #ButtBoy, about a middle-aged schlub who, after abnormally enjoying his first prostate exam, develops **** superpowers. As bad as it sounds, the film doesn't even recognize it's a comedy until the last 15 minutes.

7:59 PM · Apr 10, 2020·Twitter Web App

Semi-clever reversal of 1980s slasher movie tropes & heavy metal satanic cult hysteria #WesummonTheDarkness boasts a number of well-played scenes, a load that needed more thought, and a game cast that doesn't always persuade, but has fun with character contradictions.

8:08 PM · Apr 10, 2020·Twitter Web App

8 minutes ago, jakeem said:

It's come to this: Reviewing a movie called #ButtBoy, about a middle-aged schlub who, after abnormally enjoying his first prostate exam, develops **** superpowers. As bad as it sounds, the film doesn't even recognize it's a comedy until the last 15 minutes.

This actually sounds like an interesting film! :)

Po8lHinI_bigger.jpeg

The release of Pixar's #Soul is being delayed from June 19, 2020 to Nov. 20, 2020 due to the ongoing novel coronavirus crisis

2:06 PM · Apr 13, 2020·SocialFlow
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jakeem said:

#TheGentlemen is a much-welcome return to writer/director #GuyRitchie's early, ultra-written attempts to ape #Tarantino in the British underworld. He's still trying too hard, but this violent, incorrect & clever thriller is quite engaging and entertaining for it.

8:56 PM · Apr 13, 2020·Twitter Web App

WOW, by no means a fan of his, though he did 2 good movies  SNATCH & LOCK, STOCK & TWO SMOKING GUN BARRELS

But later actually sued MADONNA & got it for over $190m!!!

They met during shooting of a lame (**) film called SWEPT AWAY, then it turns out how greedy the man was She in essence financed his movie then with her divorce settlement!

PENN didn't ask for a red cent from  her

On 4/12/2020 at 7:47 PM, jakeem said:

great shot

On 4/7/2020 at 6:14 AM, jakeem said:

KD6TzJmQ_bigger.jpg

Larry David shares thoughts on Woody Allen's "fantastic" new memoir: https://bit.ly/2RfVX4i

"It’s hard to walk away after reading that book thinking that this guy did anything wrong."

1:30 PM · Apr 6, 2020·TweetDeck

Like his SEINFELD among my own all-time top ten tv series

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

U.S. movie theater operators aim for a late-summer blockbuster season https://reut.rs/2K30Lpl

From this article:

"During their first weeks back in business, theaters likely will show classic movies or films that were playing in March, when theaters went dark, Corcoran said.

That could mean reviving a beloved musical such as “Grease” or running a marathon of “Back to the Future” or “Harry Potter” movies, said Brock Bagby, executive vice president of Missouri-based B&B Theatres, which operates 400 screens in seven states."

I would attend showings of GREASE or BACK TO THE FUTURE in a minute! Other classic 1970s-80s classics, like GHOSTBUSTERS, ET or THE PRINCESS BRIDE would also be great choices, as they are enjoyed by all ages.

• Like 1

gmPpwv0H_bigger.jpg

Box Office: Movie Theaters Will Likely Return, But Non-Tentpole Theatrical Releases Might Not Survive, With Coronavirus Hastening The Process That Turns Multiplexes Into The Modern Equivalent Of Video Game Arcades via @forbes by @ScottMendelson

1:02 PM · Apr 15, 2020·Twitter Web Client