Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Awards season 2019-2020

bob_strauss_01_twitter_bigger.jpg

#zappamovie accesses a good deal of #FrankZappa's vast, personal archive to document the eclectic musician's life and work by example more than the interpretation of others. A few things are inevitably left out, but it's a very satisfying trip guided by a unique creative mind.

See the source image

jltNN1hQ_bigger.jpg

Inside the #Oscars race: Netflix might just break an 85-year-old record

This is the final year of the “sliding scale” voting for the best picture. Since 2011, there have been 8-9 nominees. In 2022, the Academy will move back to a “straight 10” selection. Under the current system, members only vote for 5

• Thanks 1

I haven't been paying attention to new releases, so maybe I'm wrong. But with the pandemic upturning everything since March, have there really been enough movies released to even HAVE an Academy Awards ceremony for films made this  calendar year? If not, the silver lining is that 31 Days of Oscar might be cancelled, but I digress. 

41 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I haven't been paying attention to new releases, so maybe I'm wrong. But with the pandemic upturning everything since March, have there really been enough movies released to even HAVE an Academy Awards ceremony for films made this  calendar year? If not, the silver lining is that 31 Days of Oscar might be cancelled, but I digress. 

Keep in mind that the Acadeny has moved its qualification deadline from Christmas Day to February 28. Go back six stories  above your post to look at the most recent list of possible nominees by Variety's Clayton Davis.

• Like 1

I know little to nothing about the technicalities of the film industry, but wouldn't it make sense for Cinemark Theaters, Regal Theaters and others to launch their own streaming services instead of opening, closing, opening, closing theaters and the films continuing to try to push back theatrical releases?

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I know little to nothing about the technicalities of the film industry, but wouldn't it make sense for Cinemark Theaters, Regal Theaters and others to launch their own streaming services instead of opening, closing, opening, closing theaters and the films continuing to try to push back theatrical releases?

But do theaters really want to jump the gun when it appears that effective COVID-19 vaccines are on the horizon?

• Thanks 1

jltNN1hQ_bigger.jpg

Warner Bros is considering sending several films to HBO Max, including “Judas and the Black Messiah,” a biographical drama starring Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield; Denzel Washington’s crime thriller “The Little Things” and the “Tom and Jerry” remake.

4 hours ago, jakeem said:

Po8lHinI_bigger.jpeg

#Pinocchio is set to release on Christmas Day in theaters across the U.S. http://thr.cm/GH85DDZ

I wonder how many theaters will not be in hibernation by then....it doesn't look promising at the moment. 😕