Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

November 2019: Dennis Miller & Friends

Dennis MillerComedian and conservative talk radio broadcaster Dennis Miller returns to TCM, Friday nights in November, to host a month-long film festival featuring some of his own favorite classic movies. Miller has previously appeared on TCM as a guest programmer opposite Robert Osborne in 2009, and hosted a month of 1950s monster movies in May 2017. He is also a regular guest at the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood each April. Here is the schedule for the festival Miller is hosting on TCM in November:

November 1

DUCK SOUP (1933)

DR. STRANGELOVE (1964)

ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)

November 8

THE BIG PICTURE (1989)

TOOTSIE (1982)

MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE (1948)

Image result for dennis miller illeana douglas

Dennis Miller & Illeana Douglas at the 10th Annual TCM Classic Film Festival in April 2019. Miller will be presenting Douglas' grandfather, Melvyn Douglas, in his Oscar-winning role in BEING THERE, airing November 15 on TCM.

November 15 

BEING THERE (1979)

THE LADY EVE (1941)

NOW VOYAGER (1942)

November 22 

SOYLENT GREEN (1973)

JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (1963)

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964)

November 29 

SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (1941)

A FACE IN THE CROWD (1957)

MARTY (1955)

(orig. post from Barton Keyes)

==================================

- anyone think Miller's an odd FIT for TCM??  :huh:

I don't know anything about Miller's politics, because I don't care. But I thought he was an odd choice on Saturday Night Live.  I also recall him not being that great commentating on Monday Night Football. 

I do like most of his movie selections however. It would be interesting to hear his comments. 

• Like 1

He & Bill 0'reilly used to have a running stage show  Though I think it's cool to have him on here

1 hour ago, spence said:

He & Bill 0'reilly used to have a running stage show  Though I think it's cool to have him on here

He's blown every job since SNL, we'll see if he can handle this one.

• Haha 1

Well, I for one haven't seen The Big Picture, an early directorial effort from Christopher Guest before he settled into his better-known mockumentary films. I'm intrigued by that, at least. And it looks like a good chunk of the other selections are outside the traditional TCM "library", at least, which I always encourage.

• Thanks 1

I was just typing this when sewhite2000 replied!  THE BIG PICTURE (1989) may be a premiere.

It's a great little film. Martin Short gives one of his best performances as an agent. I'm looking forward to that. But the others... well... With the exception of "Meets Frankenstein" which I could watch all the time.

• Like 1

Well it is nice to hear opinions from someone in the business-he may have unusual insights in the movie making process.

I much prefer they invite those "in the biz" as hosts & commenters. Pros make it look easy.

These people know how to speak and engage with an audience on camera far better than us "fans", even those of us used to being on TV. Nothing is more cringe-worthy than seeing someone (myself) nervous on camera, you know you're not getting the full impact of what they want to say. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

I was just typing this when sewhite2000 replied!  THE BIG PICTURE (1989) may be a premiere.

It's a great little film. Martin Short gives one of his best performances as an agent. I'm looking forward to that. But the others... well... With the exception of "Meets Frankenstein" which I could watch all the time.

Per MovieCollectorOH's data, The Big Picture is indeed a TCM premiere.  (Fingers crossed for the next 3 weeks. 😉 )

15 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Dennis MillerComedian and conservative talk radio broadcaster Dennis Miller returns to TCM, Friday nights in November, to host a month-long film festival featuring some of his own favorite classic movies. Miller has previously appeared on TCM as a guest programmer opposite Robert Osborne in 2009, and hosted a month of 1950s monster movies in May 2017. He is also a regular guest at the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood each April. Here is the schedule for the festival Miller is hosting on TCM in November:

November 1

DUCK SOUP (1933)

DR. STRANGELOVE (1964)

ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)

November 8

THE BIG PICTURE (1989)

TOOTSIE (1982)

MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE (1948)

Image result for dennis miller illeana douglas

Dennis Miller & Illeana Douglas at the 10th Annual TCM Classic Film Festival in April 2019. Miller will be presenting Douglas' grandfather, Melvyn Douglas, in his Oscar-winning role in BEING THERE, airing November 15 on TCM.

November 15 

BEING THERE (1979)

THE LADY EVE (1941)

NOW VOYAGER (1942)

November 22 

SOYLENT GREEN (1973)

JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (1963)

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964)

November 29 

SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (1941)

A FACE IN THE CROWD (1957)

MARTY (1955)

(orig. post from Barton Keyes)

==================================

- anyone think Miller's an odd FIT for TCM??  :huh:

UGH. WHY???????? Just more of the usual suspects. I can't stand the guy so wont be watching......

• Like 1

"The Big Picture" marked the memorable film debut of Teri Hatcher (pictured below with Kevin Bacon), years before she became popular for her starring roles on TV's "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" and "Desperate Housewives."

See the source image