Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Asteroid Impact In The Ocean Will Cause High Death Toll, Scientist Warns

Asteroid Impact In The Ocean Will Cause High Death Toll, Scientist Warns

A scientist warned that a major asteroid impact in the Atlantic Ocean would result in very high death tolls. The scientist also described what would happen to the coastal regions if a massive asteroid breaches Earth’s atmosphere and hits the ocean.

According to NASA, hundreds to thousands of small asteroids buzz near Earth on a daily basis. Since many of these space rocks are too small, they usually just burn up and disintegrate in the atmosphere before reaching the ground.

However, the agency admitted that there are massive space rocks that are in danger of hitting Earth. Some of these asteroids are so big that they can easily wipe out entire cities or even states. For cosmochemist Natalie Starkey, necessary steps should be taken in order to ensure Earth’s safety against these kinds of asteroids.

“If we fail in the future to protect the planet from space threats, then we could expect a large asteroid or comet impact to wreak havoc on the Earth’s surface, resulting in major global changed and high death tolls,” she said according to Express.

Since 70% of Earth is covered in water, there’s a huge chance that an asteroid impact would happen in the ocean instead of on land. Starkey noted that the effect of an asteroid strike in the ocean can be compared to a pebble causing ripples as it hits a pond. In an actual impact scenario, mega-tsunamis will act like the ripples as they travel across several miles and wipe out coastal areas.

“Now, let’s imagine scaling up to a huge chunk of asteroid, possibly a few kilometers in diameter, traveling at unimaginable speeds – up to 40,000mph – into one of our oceans,” she said. “The effect is the same, but the edges of the pond are now large cities inhabited by millions of people and the dense infrastructure that certainly couldn’t cope with being inundated by a massive wall of water.”

According to Starkey, an asteroid impact on land is a bit similar to one in the ocean. But instead of ripples or tsunamis, shock waves from the blast would radiate from the point of impact, demolishing and incinerating everything in their path.

Boy, it's a good thing we have NASA scientists smart enough to watch over things, I never would have guessed an asteroid impact would kill.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arturo said:

Go tell it to the Dinosaurs.... predated Revelations by some 65 Million years

hey come on! just a few years ago some schtootzes were trying to convince us that the dinosaurs were warm-blooded.

:lol:

that is what liberalism does. it invents to cover up inconsistencies that they hope never get noticed by people who will actually take the time to think.

it's like Elizabeth warren being asked a yes or no question about whether she will raises taxes on the working class. these liberal liars then will unbelievably pretend they either doan understand the question or did not hear it.

just and some claim that life began on earth in the sea by a near miraculous coming together of non-living matter causing the first life...:D...

but have completely failed to reproduce the event in the laboratory...but...

but still behave like it is confirmed proven fact....

when it is not.

:(

• Haha 1

I’ll ignore most of your rambling post and focus on the first sentence.

Yes, scientists continue to believe dinosaurs were warm-blooded.  What does that have to do with the fact that an asteroid or comet crashing on the earth wiped them out?

1 hour ago, Arturo said:

I’ll ignore most of your rambling post and focus on the first sentence.

Yes, scientists continue to believe dinosaurs were warm-blooded.  What does that have to do with the fact that an asteroid or comet crashing on the earth wiped them out?

what you just said!:lol: dinosaurs...warm-blooded? how stupid is that? there is no such thing known to zoology as a warm-blooded reptile or amphibian anymore than there is such a thing as a cold-blooded mammalian. it's literally like chucking tons of scientific tech books out the window.

if scientists are so dam sure there was some massive extinction event...caused by a giant meteor impact, right?...

then why do they give credence to such an outlandish idea? it brings into question...them!...and their supposed commitment to absolute unvarnished and unbiased truth.

:D

I still don’t get your rambling answer.  But, just because living reptiles are cold-blooded doesn’t mean that was always the case.   mammals evolved from warm-blooded reptiles.  And warm-blooded birds evolved from the warm-blooded dinosaurs.

1 hour ago, Arturo said:

I still don’t get your rambling answer.  But, just because living reptiles are cold-blooded doesn’t mean that was always the case.   mammals evolved from warm-blooded reptiles.  And warm-blooded birds evolved from the warm-blooded dinosaurs.

...and the tyrannosaurus rex became the chicken? my point is precedent. there is no zoological precedent for this warm-blooded HS....

and why is the scientist constantly changing, updating and revising the theory of evolution???

doan they have the finished final process down on paper yet? I would suggest since they keep changing stuff that they may not be completely right about everything they suppose...

but the left wants it both ways.

SCIENTIFIC THEORIES TREATED AS PROVEN FACT

they afraid of something?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arturo said:

Forget it.  Your de-evolved brain doesn’t get it!

the modern scientist almost immediately casts any scrutiny as bigoted superstition...

I say that is a very telling overreaction.

There’s no point in engaging in a discussion of evolution with you.  I’m not changing your mind and you won’t change mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arturo said:

Forget it.  Your de-evolved brain doesn’t get it!

get what? tell me. point me to one warm-blooded reptilian species extant.

no such thing. I am convinced by what I have heard all my life.

the dinosaurs were giant cold-blooded reptilian monsters....

now the scientist says waitaminute...maybe not.

a childhood memory

Image result for How and Why Book of Dinosaurs

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

get what? tell me. point me to one warm-blooded reptilian species extant.

no such thing. I am convinced by what I have heard all my life.

Here are two answers to the question "Are there any warm-blooded reptiles":

David Kirshner, Zoologist, wildlife interpreter, wildlife illustrator and photographer -

"I am going to start by getting a bit technical, only because I think the terms ‘warm’ and ‘cold’ blooded are not very accurate descriptions . A supposedly ‘cold-blooded’ reptile will, on most days, have warm blood simply because that reptile will be doing anything in its power to keep itself warm, by basking or resting on something warm. So how do we describe this sort of thing?

The first distinction we can make is whether or not an animal is able to maintain its body temperature at a fairly stable level.

A poikilotherm is an animal whose internal temperature varies a lot.

A homeotherm is an animal whose internal temperature is fairly stable.

We know most mammals are homeotherms, but the surprise is that so are most reptiles. The difference is how that temperature regimen is maintained.

An endotherm is an animal that produces its own heat internally. Mammals fall into this category.

An ectotherm is an animal that gets its heat externally and uses behavioural or other means to maintain a stable temperature. Most reptiles fall into this category. The reptile that shuffles around to keep itself warm, through basking in the sun or resting on something warm is trying to keep its internal temperature stable (making it a homeotherm) but is getting heat externally (making it an ectotherm).

Getting back to your original question, what you probably want to know is whether or not there are any endothermic reptiles (excluding dinosaurs and birds, presumably).

And the answer is yes (sort of) .

The leatherback sea turtle, Dermochelys coriacea, can maintain a body temperature up to 18C above ambient temperature. Although the heat isn’t produced metabolically, as it is in ‘true’ endotherms like mammals and birds, it is generated from muscle activity and is therefore produced from within."

Donna Fernstrom, Reptile keeper and breeder, wildlife observation and ecology hobbyist - 

"Well, yes. Birds are endotherms, and they’re part of Sauropsida, which is synonymous with Reptilia. The Linnaean classification system is sadly outdated, and the old group ‘reptiles’ is non-monophyletic, so is falling into disuse.

The only way to resolve it is to be rid of it entirely, or simply use it as a synonym for sauropsida (as I mentioned). And if that’s the case, then birds are definitely reptiles.

There are some mesothermic non-avian reptiles. And some mesothermic mammals. The whole warm-blooded thing isn’t as important as it once made out to be.

They’ve even found an endothermic fish now."

So to put it more simply, there were warm-blooded and cold-blooded reptiles in the ancient past. The warm-blooded ones evolved into what are now birds or certain sea-life, while the cold-blooded ones evolved (or not) into the modern reptiles.

Anymore questions?

• Like 2

Some people are cold blooded.

150720071754-donald-trump-july-18-2015-l

"So why are you looking at me?"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Boy, it's a good thing we have NASA scientists smart enough to watch over things, I never would have guessed an asteroid impact would kill.

The article goes farther than just that. You are content to misrepresent for a desperate attempt at sarcasm. I'm surprised you even bother with something like this. So transparently obtuse. This a great for the choir but anyone with any brains at all can see through you with comments like this.. 

• Like 1

if a giant asteroid had hit us during the time of the crusades we'd all be dead but what on earth could have been done since there was no modern science at the time but liberals want us to fret about hypothetical catastrophic events that for most of human history have never happened.

that's ludicrous and stupid.

Image result for king richard and the crusaders 1954

23 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

if a giant asteroid had hit us during the time of the crusades we'd all be dead but what on earth could have been done since there was no modern science at the time but liberals want us to fret about hypothetical catastrophic events that for most of human history have never happened.

that's ludicrous and stupid.

Image result for king richard and the crusaders 1954

No, science saves lives with the polio vaccine, penicillin and so many other discoveries which have improved human existence.

But Rex Harrison as an Arab, now that's ludicrous and stupid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

that is what liberalism does. it invents to cover up inconsistencies that they hope never get noticed by people who will actually take the time to think.

If Conservatives ever take the time to think, let no one ever again pronounce the word Incredible.

it's like Elizabeth warren being asked a yes or no question about whether she will raises taxes on the working class. these liberal liars then will unbelievably pretend they either doan understand the question or did not hear it. 

What Elizabeth Warren did was waffle, something members of both parties have done consistently then, now, and forever.

but still behave like it is confirmed proven fact....

Not true. They behave like it is according to what we know now, subject to change.

and why is the scientist constantly changing, updating and revising the theory of evolution???

doan they have the finished final process down on paper yet? I would suggest since they keep changing stuff that they may not be completely right about everything they suppose...

Of course it's constantly changing. Liberals are not afraid to change their mind when new evidence presents itself. They have the intellectual honesty to do that. Conservatives do not. They stick to their dogmas and their lies. To them, truth is disgusting. That's why they love Trump.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arturo said:

Go tell it to the Dinosaurs.... predated Revelations by some 65 Million years

Some scientist thinks the dinosaurs were already on the way out due to massive volcanic eruptions, one in India called the Deccan Traps.  The asteroid may have been the last nail in the coffin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deccan_Traps

nationalgeographic_463118.jpg

Deccan_Traps_volcano.jpg

8 hours ago, hamradio said:

Some scientist thinks the dinosaurs were already on the way out due to massive volcanic eruptions, one in India called the Deccan Traps.  The asteroid may have been the last nail in the coffin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deccan_Traps

nationalgeographic_463118.jpg

Deccan_Traps_volcano.jpg

Then an even more apt comparison to us today.  We are killing ourselves with our climate change accelerating, and the asteroid could be the final nail in the coffin.

2 hours ago, Arturo said:

Then an even more apt comparison to us today.  We are killing ourselves with our climate change accelerating, and the asteroid could be the final nail in the coffin.

Such volcanic eruptions can happen again bringing on global cooling.  This is what more likely on a smaller scale brought about the Dark Ages / mini Ice Age.

A Deccan Flats scenario or a super volcano can bring down civilization.  

so why worry about global climate change if some giant asteroid is gonna take us out anyway.

:lol:

There's one a coming I hear tell it, from a scientist acquaintance o' mine. Said... the approximate impact point... near as they can tell it Nip, cause how it is with them asteroids they never can tell fer sure how muchen they can break apart. Anyway sort of figure on a place called...  Locationzaygon hegemony  

I think I may know why Movie Madness won't say where he lives. He's afraid there may be an asteroid with his name on it and he doesn't want to make it any easier for it to get him.