Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

With the release of the upcoming NEW Midway movie, I hope next month TCM will show the original movie, "Tora! Tora! Tora!".  Does anyone have any insight on this???  Reminder:  Next month has Veteran's Day in it, so maybe that weekend or the month after on Dec 7, the day of the event.  "I want confirmation".  Line from "Tora! Tora! Tora!"  

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

Woody Harrelson as Chester Nimitz??  Are they kidding? Talk about an absence of gravitas. Cagney was the ultimate Nimitz in  THE GALLANT HOURS.

Actually, Cagney was portraying Admiral William "Bull" Halsey.

Henry Fonda portrayed Nimitz in the 1976 film Midway. He also appeared as CINCPAC II in the John Wayne film In Harms Way. CINCPAC II was Nimitz.

Addison Powell portrayed Nimitz in the 1977 film MacArthur with Gregory Peck as MacArthur.

Graham Beckel portrayed Nimitz in 2001's Pearl Harbor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/25/2019 at 2:57 PM, fxreyman said:

Actually, Cagney was portraying Admiral William "Bull" Halsey.

Henry Fonda portrayed Nimitz in the 1976 film Midway. He also appeared as CINCPAC II in the John Wayne film In Harms Way. CINCPAC II was Nimitz.

Addison Powell portrayed Nimitz in the 1977 film MacArthur with Gregory Peck as MacArthur.

Graham Beckel portrayed Nimitz in 2001's Pearl Harbor.

Yup. My bad.

Tora! Tora! Tora! is a good movie. That said, I saw a topic earlier asking which movie seems too long to you (or something in that spirit), well that Pearl Harbour movie is one of them, in my humble opinion. Some scenes seem to go on and on for ever... I saw it when I was a teenager, perhaps I should give it another chance...

On 10/28/2019 at 11:12 AM, Sepiatone said:

Ha!  It's FXREYMAN's "bad" too.  JAMES WHITMORE was Halsey in TORA! TORA! TORA!.  Not Cagney.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Ha, Ha, Ha... Sepia. I was NOT wrong. Cagney did portray Halsey in The Gallant Hours. I was correcting Ray Fiola. I never mentioned Tora, Tora, Tora. Nimitz never appeared in that film. He was still a rear admiral and did not become CICPAC until December 31, 1941. Any real NAVY history buff would know that!!!

Was it "In Harm's Way" where the young nurse got raped and she committed suicide because of it????  And it would help if TCM were to show "Teahouse of The August Moon" and other films regarding post WWII where we helped other Pacific Rim nations to get back on their feet.  BTW, what happened to the Monthly Newsletter???  I have not seen it in my inbox for a couple of months now. 

TORA! TORA! TORA! has always been one of my mom's favorites, gave it to her on DVD last Christmas.

Though it has led to some serious debating on one issue. She insists that what happened at Pearl Harbor, with the deaths of the soldiers, mostly young men, were more tragic than  the Twin Towers being struck by terrorist-taken over airplanes and collapsing on 9/11. I happen to believe both were horrible tragedies.

• Thanks 1

While I agree that both were horrible, that the World Trade Center was NOT a military installment and the people in the buildings mostly had nothing to do with U.S. policy and other actions in the Middle East, it makes that attack more abominable. It would be like me killing your dog because your brother stole my wallet.

Sepiatone

• Like 1