Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

“TCM is a brand, not just a TV network,” says Jennifer Dorian, exec VP and general manager of TCM.

Funny coincidence that her name is the same as AMC's original host.

Mankiewicz says. “I’ve had discussions with some of the biggest artists in this business, who tell me that the channel is always on somewhere in their house.”

Heh, so apparently, I live like a movie star.

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

“TCM is a brand, not just a TV network,” says Jennifer Dorian, exec VP and general manager of TCM.

Funny coincidence that her name is the same as AMC's original host.

:o !  I thought his name was BOB!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 2
26 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

What's so hilarious about TCM's attempt to turn watching old movies into some kind of

elite pastime is it's so obvious and ham-fisted. Where's Don Draper when you need him?

I think its a great idea. In an era when binge watching on a series all day and night is a common activity, why not promote binge watching TCM ? You have to remember, most who tune in probably haven't seen whatever film is showing. So they can start at any time.

I remember back in the 90's when Rod Stewart was recording those old standards. Some rock fans did complain but, he was selling millions apiece. It was common practice for many to come home from work, get comfortable and have a drink while playing those cd's. That helped people relax. 

Remember, many of those movies were designed to make people forget their troubles. Imagine they were wealthy and threw parties in their mansions. Or whisked away to some tropical destination. Or just laugh or at least smile.

Those movies can have the same effect to today. Instead of take you to another wealth status or location, now they can take you to another place in time.

There is a reason one of the more popular genres today is "period piece". Downton Abbey is in the theaters right now. And there are many other series set in the same time frame that many of these films were produced.

I think TCM is striking while the iron is hot.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I don't understand this thread. Were you trying to copy and paste this article?

https://variety.com/2019/tv/features/turner-classic-movies-25-anniversary-ted-turner-1203183315/

“Much of our future growth will come from fan engagement initiatives.” .......

“We’re really energized by the new structure,” Dorian says. “Being in the Warner Bros. fold will put us closer to the movies and to creative ideas. There are new opportunities for fans,

for consumer products that will really add to our business.” .......

<_<

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

“We’re really energized by the new structure,” Dorian says. “Being in the Warner Bros. fold will put us closer to the movies and to creative ideas. There are new opportunities for fans,

for consumer products that will really add to our business.”

Which is Warner-ese for "We're too terrified we can't sell non-Casablanca vintage movies unless TCM serves as the House-Franchise Brand Name for it."

They've fallen back on that a couple times before, no big deal.  Just as long as TCM continues to be left to do what it does, and keep the Brandname Banner flying.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I think its a great idea. In an era when binge watching on a series all day and night is a common activity, why not promote binge watching TCM ? You have to remember, most who tune in probably haven't seen whatever film is showing. So they can start at any time.

I remember back in the 90's when Rod Stewart was recording those old standards. Some rock fans did complain but, he was selling millions apiece. It was common practice for many to come home from work, get comfortable and have a drink while playing those cd's. That helped people relax. 

Remember, many of those movies were designed to make people forget their troubles. Imagine they were wealthy and threw parties in their mansions. Or whisked away to some tropical destination. Or just laugh or at least smile.

Those movies can have the same effect to today. Instead of take you to another wealth status or location, now they can take you to another place in time.

There is a reason one of the more popular genres today is "period piece". Downton Abbey is in the theaters right now. And there are many other series set in the same time frame that many of these films were produced.

I think TCM is striking while the iron is hot.

I think binge watching a particular TV show is different from binge watching TCM. The latter is more random. Unless people like every movie TCM shows, why binge watch? I think even folks who aren't that familiar with studio era films just won't watch every movie that's on. That would be rather peculiar.

I prefer the 1970s version of Rod Stewart. When his "regular" music stopped selling that well he took up the Great American Songbook shtick and it worked like a charm. Linda Ronstadt did the same thing years before Rod did it. The problem was the GAS albums gradually became less popular. What will Rod the Unmod do next? Rod Stewart sings Ernest Tubb? I really don't blame him for going where the money turned out to be and no doubt those records are pleasant enough, but I have little interest in it. 

I enjoy watching these old films from the 1930s and 1940s as period pieces that show the mindset of a certain era. Of course they weren't originally produced with that in mind, but that's at least partly what they've become over time. And they're most entertaining in that respect. 

I find the lifestyle destination, we're a small group of special people vibe more entertaining than anything else. It's rather humorous. So TCM will likely continue to push this bs, which is mostly harmless. I just watch the movies and get a laugh out of all the other stuff. 

I never got into or really never "got"  the idea of "binge watching".  Never(it seems) that there's nothing else that seems interesting to me on TV somewhere else that "binge watching" would cause me to miss it.  The closest I came was setting aside two or three hours a night when I would catch up on "Weeds" and "Breaking Bad" which were burned on to some discs my daughter loaned me to watch.  I didn't(and still don't) have SHOWTIME, and the "Breaking Bad" discs were burned sans the commercial breaks, so it was better than seeing it on AMC( A Million Commercials).  And, at my age, "binge watching" means sitting through a whole episode without any bathroom breaks!  ;)

Sepiatone