Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SummerStars

Cauliflower Cupids (rare movie with Jane Russell)

Last night while I was watching "His Kind of Woman" on ANOTHER movie channel (Movies!), I was thinking about the various movies I had seen so far starring Jane Russell, and one of them I had NEVER seen before is one called "Cauliflower Cupids", which I believe is from the late 60s/early 70s.  I first learned about it only by name in a book listing her filmography, as well as other stars', and I just don't know if TCM had ever shown this one before, at least once.  I think I had asked about this particular film in the past, but I'm still curious to know anything else about it.  I've never come across it in any movie catalogues (TCM Shop, Critics' Choice, Movies Unlimited, etc.) so I'm just not sure if this movie was ever released on home video at all.  I hope this movie is not one of those "lost" films that have been destroyed due to deterioration of the only existing (master) print or else burned in a vault fire, or something.  I know several silent "Laurel and Hardy" films are long lost, which is a shame because some of those seemed funny, such as one where the two try to move a washing machine up a high flight of stairs (sound familiar?).  IF it exists, I don't know if it would ever be shown on TCM if Jane were to become "Star of the Month", but I would be curious to see Jane Russell in a "contemporary" era film, wondering if by this time she's still playing a "sex symbol" like in many of her movies from the 1950s, or not. 

So I'm just wondering, does anyone have any information on the whereabouts of this rare movie?

It says that restoration of this film as well as another will be restored as soon as funding can be provided.  Is there any evidence that those films have been restored, or are still in the process of being restored?

From a common sense point of view, I'd guess the only way they'd get funding to restore the films is to guarantee a return on the investment, and they would have to release them in some form, dvd or streaming, to recoup the cost.  If you really want to know, you might use the contact on that page and ask them.

I would hope that even one print of "Cauliflower Cupids" is in existence.  I only wish that many movies/TV shows hadn't been lost over time due to either destruction of the original master copies, or else lost in a studio vault fire, or something.  There are a couple of episodes of TV shows that I'm hoping ARE in existence somewhere.  There's a TV series from the 1950s called "Producers' Showcase" that featured an adaptation of the "The Women" with none other than Paulette Goddard playing the role of Sylvia, the fast-talking, gum-chewing character that Rosalind Russell played in the 1939 movie.  There's also some lost episodes of "The Jack Benny Program" that have yet to be discovered, including one I'd REALLY love to see that I've only heard of with ventriloquist Shari Lewis and her puppets.  I do only hope that the UCLA Archives have this as well as other episodes that haven't yet been broadcast on TV, or released on home video.  I've also learned about some TV variety series from the 1960s called "The Hollywood Palace" that I believe was the first TV series broadcast on color videotape.  I guess it was sort of like "The Ed Sullivan Show", except this feature big names instead of up-and-coming unknowns trying to gain a rise to fame on TV.  I do know Fred Astaire appeared on this series regularly with Barrie Chase, and even Jim Henson with his Muppets back when they were just becoming a household name.

On 10/31/2019 at 12:50 AM, SummerStars said:

I only wish that many movies/TV shows hadn't been lost over time due to either destruction of the original master copies, or else lost in a studio vault fire, or something. 

Me too.   I do like this site:   http://solie.org/alibrary/    because they gather a lot of older content in one place.  I've found episodes of some series here I've never found anywhere else.  They have a few of the Hollywood Palace you mentioned under 'musical and variety' category.  It's a fun site to wade through (I find myself spending hours watching programs I never heard of...a hint: after you hit the play button, you get a black box, just hit again for the program to play)

I just checked Jane Russell's autobiography and there is no mention of this movie.  Being one of her fans, I'd love to see it.  Maybe someday.

All I can say is, this movie, "Cauliflower Cupids", has got to be one of the most forgotten films that has yet to be found. As I stated before, IF Jane Russell were to become TCM's Star of the Month (and only if TCM could obtain the rights to some of her movies from Paramount and 20th Century Fox), I would only hope that this would be a perfect chance for this movie to FINALLY be seen.  I'm still wondering about these two other productions, one is a TV show, that I don't think were ever released on home video, or even seen since -

"THE WOMEN" (Producers' Showcase) - I REALLY want to see this production because Paulette Goddard stars in it as Sylvia, whom Rosalind Russell played in the original 1939 movie.  I don't think this and many other episodes of this forgotten TV series was ever released on home video at all, but I'm just hoping this particular show is only lost, meaning its not been destroyed and is yet to be discovered, like how many episodes of various TV programs of the 1950s have turned up.  Let's just hope there's some kinescope copy in existence somewhere.  This is Paulette from this show -

phototvwomen.jpg

She must've been in her late 40s here, but she hasn't lost that sassy look.

"MAROC 7" - I've brought this up before several times.  It's a film from the late 1960s with Cyd Charisse.  I believe this is one of her final films before retiring from pictures, due to the decreasing popularity of movie musicals during this contemporary era of the cinema.  I doubt this was ever shown on TCM, or any other channel.  Here's a picture of Cyd from the movie -

cyd-charisse-holding-drink-in-a-scene-fr

Yes, I know! She looks very sexy. 

The point is, this is just a sample of this highly forgotten movie, that has rarely ever been seen, and, along with many other "lost" movies and TV shows, must be found.  I don't know if some film buff like Leonard Maltin would have any information on these three previously mentioned films, but I'm just hoping they will show up at some time ONCE they're discovered.