20 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I say that often and even more often, "Would you like a roll in zee hay?"

I'm too old for that to be funny.

17 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I'm too old for that to be funny.

Not me. I'm still frisky.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, EricJ said:

And when I like a little cold malted chocolate on late summer evenings, I never make Ovaltine (the only malted chocolate on the drink-mix shelf, unless anyone knows of another brand)--
It instinctively always comes out as "...OOO-valtine?"

u5rkAPQGKqQL0acA657NBsYARyK.jpg

"Mowe bwiefing?"
"More briefing."

(Not to mention that if I happen to think "Oho, so that's his little game, is it?", it's reflex-conditionally followed by "...Shoot the duck, shoot the duck!!")

From Bugs & Thugs: Stop right there, Rabbit! or He's not in this stove!

OK.....  Did someone mention The Marx Brothers?  Well.....  I don't use this often, but when I had the chance I couldn't pass it up!

Some years back and due to working for the never fully stable automotive industry, we wound up behind on a couple of credit cards payments.  All but one were understanding of our situation, but one kid called from a credit card co. with coercive intent.  He mentioned, when I asked the reason for his call, "We want our money."  ;)  so, unable to resist, I went into "Cocoanuts" mode and replied, "Your money?  I don't recall you having left any of your money in my care..."  A bit exasperated he replied, "You haven't made any payments on your account for three months."  So of course, I came back with, "Oh, so you want MY money!"  :D   Before he could answer I told him I'd send something when my hours improved and hung up.  We cut up that card and closed the account when we finally paid it off.  Right now I have NO credit cards, and never want another.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Whenever a car comes out of nowhere or cuts us off (happens 10 times a day here in LA) we quote MAN WORLD: "He just went sailing right out there!"

BXSGYo.gif

I can't remember verbatim, but - Ethel Merman - Why is it when these things just happen, people say these things just happen?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

OK.....  Did someone mention The Marx Brothers?  Well.....  I don't use this often, but when I had the chance I couldn't pass it up!

Some years back and due to working for the never fully stable automotive industry, we wound up behind on a couple of credit cards payments.  All but one were understanding of our situation, but one kid called from a credit card co. with coercive intent.  He mentioned, when I asked the reason for his call, "We want our money."  ;)  so, unable to resist, I went into "Cocoanuts" mode and replied, "Your money?  I don't recall you having left any of your money in my care..."  A bit exasperated he replied, "You haven't made any payments on your account for three months."  So of course, I came back with, "Oh, so you want MY money!"  :D   Before he could answer I told him I'd send something when my hours improved and hung up.  We cut up that card and closed the account when we finally paid it off.  Right now I have NO credit cards, and never want another.  

Sepiatone

That's wicked.

My fave line comes from Groucho: I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty. 

• Like 1

I have two like that.  One from an unremembered source, and the other all mine...

1.  "I started out with nothing, and still have most of it left!"  ;) 

2. "I went for broke, and MADE it!"  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

When I get an annoying phone call from people like telemarketers, etc. I use the Elmer Fudd line upon answering...That's right operator, the phone went r-i-n-g!!!

Then slam the phone handset down, hopefully the one on the other end be so confused, won't make another attempt. :D

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

The only good credit card is a paid off credit card.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Whenever my sister and I hear someone say something slyly clever, we say to each other "Thy mother mated with a scorpion" (from LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.)

Speaking of "Lawrence of Arabia," a cameraman who used to shoot commercials for me was fond of saying (when asked:  "Did you get the shot?") "Well, it's not Lawrence of Arabia, but it'll do."

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

From Bugs & Thugs: Stop right there, Rabbit! or He's not in this stove!

I remember one standup comic who joked about those registration letters he'd get from the DMV warning him to "SURRENDER YOUR PLATES".  And imagined armed SWAT teams surrounding his house:

"You'll never take 'em alive!...If my plates were in the oven, would I turn the gas on?"  "Errrr, you might, rahbbit, you might."

My fave line comes from Groucho: I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty. 

"You can get any kind of house you want.  You can even get stucco...Ohh, how you can get 'stuck-o'!" - The Cocoanuts

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I remember one standup comic who joked about those registration letters he'd get from the DMV warning him to "SURRENDER YOUR PLATES".  And imagined armed SWAT teams surrounding his house:

"You'll never take 'em alive!...If my plates were in the oven, would I turn the gas on?"  "Errrr, you might, rahbbit, you might."

"You can get any kind of house you want.  You can even get stucco...Ohh, how you can get 'stuck-o'!" - The Cocoanuts

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Talking of Groucho, for the life of me, I can't remember in which of his movies, but there is this line coming from his character which I think is superb: he is interacting with a lady and she says, "But I am sorry, this is my husband" to which Groucho replies "Well, you should be!" 

19 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

2. "I went for broke, and MADE it!"  ;)

That goes along with the old saying:

Want to know how to make a small fortune with horses?

Start with a large one.

19 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Heh. Identify with that one. 

I have an old 70's paperback with nothing but Marx Brothers movie stills and the choicest lines as captions. It's a riot even reading the lines. Monty Python scripts work well read too.

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

That goes along with the old saying:

Want to know how to make a small fortune with horses?

Start with a large one.

Heh. Identify with that one. 

I have an old 70's paperback with nothing but Marx Brothers movie stills and the choicest lines as captions. It's a riot even reading the lines. Monty Python scripts work well read too.

Funny you should mention Monty Python. At work yesterday a co-worker cracked me up something fierce and I was laughing my head off. I was bent over with laughter and when I straightened up I said, "Uh oh. I wet em".

From television. Leave it to Beaver - Sorry. But this line has given me the sillies all morning.

Beaver’s upset because Miss Landers read a poem about trees. Ward had given Beave a tree for a birthday one year, but it was left behind when they sold the house. So now Beaver is worried about his tree, so much so that he can’t sleep. He wakes Wally and tells him about Miss Landers reading the poem about trees and now he can’t sleep.

“Well, that’s what you get for paying attention in school.”

• Haha 1

I remember that episode( since I've been watching the MeTV reruns for the last year...) and the best line from that show I've been able to use at times was when, in one episode, Eddie Haskell comes up with some mean spirited trick to play on somebody, and Wally asks him, "Hey, Eddie.  Isn't it about the time of year for you to shed your skin?"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I remember that episode( since I've been watching the MeTV reruns for the last year...) and the best line from that show I've been able to use at times was when, in one episode, Eddie Haskell comes up with some mean spirited trick to play on somebody, and Wally asks him, "Hey, Eddie.  Isn't it about the time of year for you to shed your skin?"  :D 

Sepiatone

Wally throws a party. He doesn't invite Beaver until the last minute. In the meantime, Beave has sabotaged the place with gimmicks like a fake ice cube with a bug in it in the punch bowl, etc. I'm sure you'll remember this one too. Well, after Wally invites him to his party, Beaver tries to make amends. He's in the kitchen going through the sandwich tray, looking for the piece of rubber cheese he left in a sandwich. Eddie catches him and says, "Hey, Duncan Hines, they don't allow busboys in the kitchen". 

Leave it to Beaver

Episode: Miss Lander's Fiance

June: I wish Wally wouldn't use words like kooky and flaky.

Ward: Well now, June, you wouldn't want his friends to think he was creepy, would you?

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2019 at 11:59 PM, EricJ said:

And when I like a little cold malted chocolate on late summer evenings, I never make Ovaltine (the only malted chocolate on the drink-mix shelf, unless anyone knows of another brand)--
It instinctively always comes out as "...OOO-valtine?"

u5rkAPQGKqQL0acA657NBsYARyK.jpg

"Mowe bwiefing?"
"More briefing."

(Not to mention that if I happen to think "Oho, so that's his little game, is it?", it's reflex-conditionally followed by "...Shoot the duck, shoot the duck!!")

"Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit...."

"That's the biggest mouse I've ever seen!"

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 8:43 PM, lydecker said:

"Moose out front should have told you."

66686-warner_home_video.jpg

Love that line!  John Candy was sooo great in that role. Funny, vulnerable. Sad.  Just wonderful!

9 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Leave it to Beaver

Episode: Miss Lander's Fiance

June: I wish Wally wouldn't use words like kooky and flaky.

Ward: Well now, June, you wouldn't want his friends to think he was creepy, would you?

OK, now that'a deep dive into LITB!

Seconding the Marx Brothers -- they get bandied about a lot around here. "When you get near a song, play it!" -- lots of stuff.

When we see a show we didn't like we quote YANKEE DOODLE DANDY -- "The sets were beautiful, George....."

One movie that comes up a lot is THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING -- "Egermency! Egermency! Everybody to get from street!" We quote this movie all the time. "Everyone is town is complete and total crazy, but you, Whitaker Walt, you are crazy too?" and "We are of course Norweggans" come to mind.

Thought of another I've used for years(since my 20's) and that I was reminded of this morning when watching LAUREL and HARDY'S "HOOSE GOW" on the Movies! channel...

JAMES FINLAYSON, often an L & H foil and victim, portrays "the Governor" that comes to inspect a prison camp.  In one scene, Finlayson walks around to the side of a tent, trips on the lower rope holding the tent taut, which causes his top hat to be knocked off his head by a higher rope.  When he regains his composure, he turns to the turnkey, points to the ropes and says, "Have that thing fixed!"  ;) as if to blame the ropes for his clumsiness. And I too, for those many years, whenever I trip on anything, slip or bump klutz-like into a wall, door, table or whatever, will turn to it and point saying, "Fix that!"  or "Have that thing fixed."  :D 

Sepiatone