Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two 1959 Fritz Lang movies

When I was a little boy, my father took me to see a couple of 1959 Fritz Lang movies: "Le Tombeau Hindou" and "Le Tigre du Bengale" (sorry, folks, I have no idea how these two movies were titled in English). IMDb gives the original titles in German: "Das Indische Grabmal" and "Der Tiger von Eschnapur" I don't want to venture translating literally from French to English since I have no idea under what titles these two movies were released in the US and/or the UK for that matter. one movie was a sequel to the other and they both have Debra Paget ("The Ten Commandments")  as the lead character. Anything you can tell me about these two movies? All I can remember is that when I saw them as a little boy, I was very scared. 

13 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

They're okay but I don't think they're Lang's best work. 

Certainly not, but, often I buy movies for sentimental reasons, for nostalgia. It's a question of pure feeling. I have vague memories of my father taking me to see these two Fritz Lang movies in a drive-in theatre. I am sure I was wearing my pyjamas at the time.

• Haha 1
On 11/6/2019 at 9:38 PM, slaytonf said:

Le Tombeau Hindou translates as The Indian Tomb (1959):

in which Miss Paget does her famous snake dance:

Wow. Sounds like Les Baxter music. Incredible costuming - are those pieces appliqués or attached to moleskin? Whatever, it certainly leaves little to the imagination. Love the white hot sequined flame design & the huge emerald rings!

I'm a Fritz Lang fan & don't have that in my collection. Every one of his films is worth having, imho.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow. Sounds like Les Baxter music. Incredible costuming - are those pieces appliqués or attached to moleskin? Whatever, it certainly leaves little to the imagination. Love the white hot sequined flame design & the huge emerald rings!

I'm a Fritz Lang fan & don't have that in my collection. Every one of his films is worth having, imho.

Someone within this topic told me that these two Fritz Lang movies will be available in Blu-Ray on December 10th.

12 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow. Sounds like Les Baxter music. Incredible costuming - are those pieces appliqués or attached to moleskin? Whatever, it certainly leaves little to the imagination.

You know, it don't matter much to me whether it's on a body stocking or not.  It seems more likely to inspire imagination than defeat it.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, folks, I have just purchased this double feature from Amazon: Fritz Lang's 1959 Indian Epic: "The Tiger of Eschnapur" and "The Indian Tomb" a Blu-ray set, just released. Pricy, but, to me, worth having. My papa took me to see these two movies when I was a boy.

• Like 2
On 12/12/2019 at 5:08 PM, Forty-One said:

Well, folks, I have just purchased this double feature from Amazon: Fritz Lang's 1959 Indian Epic: "The Tiger of Eschnapur" and "The Indian Tomb" a Blu-ray set, just released. Pricy, but, to me, worth having. My papa took me to see these two movies when I was a boy.

Nice. You'll have to tell us if they brought back more memories when you've had a chance to re-watch them.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 9:38 PM, slaytonf said:

Le Tombeau Hindou translates as The Indian Tomb (1959):

in which Miss Paget does her famous snake dance:

Well, only pt 1 (Tiger of Eschnapur) can be found at my library- The Indian Tomb must be stolen.

I was very disappointed in Paget's dance. They were right in India filming, you would think they'd employ an Indian choreographer to make it look authentic. Paget just slithered around in a US style dance.

Real Indian dancing is like hula-there are several "moves" employed that help tell a story. Even Michael Jackson's choreographer employed this style/method in his music videos.

The silent version -- The Indian Tomb (1921) -- has been on DVD for some time. It may even have been the first DVD I ever played. It was written by Fritz Lang with Thea von Harbou (Lang's then wife until she became a Nazi, and he found her in bed with an Indian). It was directed by Joe May. Great film, in two parts.

tumblr_inline_pcf152WRLa1qaxj2b_500.gifv

0007776-2-dvd-set-the-indian-tomb-parts-