Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Performers who never get their own threads (nobody discusses them?)

How about JIMMY LYDON?  As kids we dug his HENRY ALDRICH movies("Hen---REE!  Henry ALD-rich!" )  And the nine he was in(Jackie Cooper the first Henry on film) were pretty popular with movie goers.  And there's

ALAN JENKINS

HARRY CAREY (and Jr. too)

JOHN CASSAVETES 

MARTIN BALSAM

J.T. and M. EMMETT WALSH

NICK ADAMS

ANTHONY FRANCIOSA

And to show what some I know would call my "liberal" side:

BROCK PETERS

MOSES GUNN

GREGG MORRIS

IVAN DIXON

ROY GLENN

JAMES BASKETT

To name a very few....

Sepiatone

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

BROCK PETERS

MOSES GUNN

GREGG MORRIS

IVAN DIXON

ROY GLENN

JAMES BASKETT

Right. Unless you are Sidney Poitier or Denzel Washington, then TCM is not going to promote you. So a lot of credible African American performances are not celebrated.

• Thanks 1

Another I just thought of is Sandy Dennis. I really think she truly was very talented and original, but criminally underrated. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Another I just thought of is Sandy Dennis. I really think she truly was very talented and original, but criminally underrated. 

Sandy Dennis was one of those performers who could really irritate some people. I've heard from a few who really, really didn't like her. But that's usually the case with any performer with a very idiosyncratic style.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Sandy Dennis was one of those performers who could really irritate some people. I've heard from a few who really, really didn't like her. But that's usually the case with any performer with a very idiosyncratic style.

I find her to be very sniveling in some of her movies.  However, in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? her sniveling works for her character.  I'd probably be sniveling too if I had to watch Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton fight, but like Sandy, I'd be oddly fascinated and unable to look away.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I am glad Dane Clark's films are shown (he's great in A STOLEN LIFE and WHIPLASH) but I wasn't sure if people actually discussed his work on these forums.

Stack is sometimes mentioned in reference to the Untouchables TV series he did.

Thanks for going over some of Knowles' credits.

It's worth noting that Robert Stack had a SUTS day tribute in 2010.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

TCM should give an evening, or a SUTS day, or a SOTM tribute to Robert Donat.

I would certainly go along with that! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2019 at 1:13 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I have mentioned Patric Knowles since he was under contract with Warners and was in some major films (E.g. Robin Hood),  for the studio, often with Flynn and DeHavlland (E.g.  It's Love I'm After,  Charge of The Light Brigade, The Sisters,  Four's A Crowd).   After his WB days he was "all over the place",  and in some films that have been discussed at this forum like After the Thin Man,  How Green was my Valley, The Wolf Man,  Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, and The Big Steel.

He was wonderful in THREE CAME HOME, too, from 1950.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 4:13 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I have mentioned Patric Knowles since he was under contract with Warners and was in some major films

I remember him in the Abbott and Costello film Hit The Ice. Knowles plays a guy who grew up on the same street as Bud and Lou (both from New Jersey) even though he somehow acquired a British accent. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I find her to be very sniveling in some of her movies.  However, in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? her sniveling works for her character.  I'd probably be sniveling too if I had to watch Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton fight, but like Sandy, I'd be oddly fascinated and unable to look away.

Granted.  But I did like a few of Dennis' films(I have "The Out Of Towners" on my '70s list) like UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE, THE FOX ( '67; with Anne Heywood and Keir Dullea), and THAT COLD DAY IN THE PARK( '69; My favorite Sandy Dennis performance) 

Sepiatone

I know Ruth Gordon had a long long career, but every time I hear that name I think of every "God d*mn" in "Every Which Way But Loose"  🤣

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone for discussing the ones on my original list, plus some of the others you've added to the conversation. It's great to see performers like Ruth Gordon, Sandy Dennis and Jose Ferrer get some love!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 12:25 PM, GGGGerald said:

None of their fans has started a "Why doesn't someone start a thread about "so and so". She was a great actress and she should be mentioned !"

Case In Point:

Its a film rather than an actor but, you get the gist of it.

A better example will come along shortly. They always do.

On 11/9/2019 at 8:04 AM, sagebrush said:

He was wonderful in THREE CAME HOME, too, from 1950.

Agree. Good movie.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 9.48.21 AM.jpeg

On 11/7/2019 at 8:33 PM, Gershwin fan said:

And of course, Jose Ferrer's son was the great Miguel Ferrer, one of the best actors in television. Albert Rosenfield was a great character.

When Miguel Ferrer died a couple of years ago, someone on the boards here mentioned a part he had in one of the coolest "Magnum P.I." episodes that aired in that series.  I'm fuzzy on the particulars, but the story involved two people that were either engaged to one another or were acquaintances that took a shine to one another around the time of the Pearl Harbor attack.  Jose Ferrer and June Lockhart played the star-crossed lovers (I think) who spent more than 40 years thinking the other had been killed during the events of December 7, 1941.  There was also a murder involved in their storyline to complicate matters, and Tom Selleck was charged with trying to solve a decades-old mystery.   Anyway, some of the episode was told in flashbacks, and the Ferrer and Lockhart characters in the 1941 sequences were actually played by their talented kids (Miguel Ferrer and Ann Lockhart)!

• Like 2

My favorite male Italian film star...wish more people knew his work.

He aged better than Cary Grant.

screen-shot-2019-11-12-at-6.18.43-am.jpeg

He made his mark in spaghetti westerns but also did modern-day crime films and romance dramas. He continued to appear on screen until 2012, the year before his death.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 6.17.15 AM.png

Well, when it comes to Italian male actors (and in a classic forum) folks here probably gravitate to MARCELLO MASTROIANNI or VITTORIO GASSMAN and the like. 

Sepiatone

23 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, when it comes to Italian male actors (and in a classic forum) folks here probably gravitate to MARCELLO MASTROIANNI or VITTORIO GASSMAN and the like. 

Sepiatone

Right. Mainly (and this is my theory) mainly because they've been taught to learn about the so-called household names. Guiliano Gemma had a long career and many admirers. Including Quentin Tarantino.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 9.55.56 AM.png

• Thanks 1

Giuliano Gemma had a nicely shaped nose, ears that didn't stick out and weren't too large; eyes that revealed mystery and a devil-may-care attitude and of course perfect cheekbones. Just the right combination of masculine and feminine, with the masculine side gaining the advantage. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 10.01.18 AM.png 

I would say he was at his most attractive in the spy film KISS KISS..BANG BANG (1966) where he played a James Bond type character:

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 10.08.45 AM.jpeg

On 11/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, Dargo said:

This guy...

Roger-Livesey.jpg

...Roger Livesey

Livesey was terrific.

And though I've probably mentioned this name before, his co-star in THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP - Anton Walbrook - deserves more recognition. In that great film, but also in DANGEROUS MOONLIGHT, 49th PARALLEL, GASLIGHT, THE RED SHOES, and other performances, he can be moody, warm, malevolent, wise - you name it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brrrcold said:

Livesey was terrific.

And though I've probably mentioned this name before, his co-star in THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP - Anton Walbrook - deserves more recognition. In that great film, but also in DANGEROUS MOONLIGHT, 49th PARALLEL, GASLIGHT, THE RED SHOES, and other performances, he can be moody, warm, malevolent, wise - you name it.

Absolutely and well said, Brrrcold.

I've been a big fan of Walbrook's ever since I caught one of the first showings on TCM of The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp years ago. That scene in this film where as an old man he's at the British immigration office and telling the official why he wants to move to England has me sniffling every time I watch it, and is a far cry from the more venal characters he also so well played in Gaslight and The Red Shoes.

(...talk about any actor's ability to stretch, eh?!)

• Thanks 1