Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Performers who never get their own threads (nobody discusses them?)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Brrrcold said:

Livesey was terrific.

And though I've probably mentioned this name before, his co-star in THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP - Anton Walbrook - deserves more recognition. In that great film, but also in DANGEROUS MOONLIGHT, 49th PARALLEL, GASLIGHT, THE RED SHOES, and other performances, he can be moody, warm, malevolent, wise - you name it.

One more tangent here: Livesey's co-star in I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING is the great Wendy Hiller, who deserves more recognition. That film deserves to be shown more frequently - but her performance of Eliza in PYGMALION will make you think you don't really need to see MY FAIR LADY again. Her not-at-all showy role in SEPARATE TABLES won an Oscar, but nobody remembers her amid the rest of the cast. And her short scenes with Paul Scofield in A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS make the saint human. Can you tell I'm a fan?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

One more tangent here: Livesey's co-star in I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING is the great Wendy Hiller, who deserves more recognition. That film deserves to be shown more frequently - but her performance of Eliza in PYGMALION will make you think you don't really need to see MY FAIR LADY again. Her not-at-all showy role in SEPARATE TABLES won an Oscar, but nobody remembers her amid the rest of the cast. And her short scenes with Paul Scofield in A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS make the saint human. Can you tell I'm a fan?

I'm a Wendy Hiller fan too. She has a good supporting role in MAKING LOVE (1982), and I've always admired her performances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

One more tangent here: Livesey's co-star in I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING is the great Wendy Hiller, who deserves more recognition. That film deserves to be shown more frequently - but her performance of Eliza in PYGMALION will make you think you don't really need to see MY FAIR LADY again. Her not-at-all showy role in SEPARATE TABLES won an Oscar, but nobody remembers her amid the rest of the cast. And her short scenes with Paul Scofield in A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS make the saint human. Can you tell I'm a fan?

I remember Hiller and have enjoyed her performances for decades.   So does TB.    So there are fans out there. 

But I get your point;   E.g. when Separate Tables is mentioned Rita Hayworth and Deborah Kerr are often the only actresses mentioned.   Oh, well.    Leslie Howard is my favorite actor so of course I've seen Pygmalion many times and Hiller gives a performance that is much more touching then Hepburn,  IMO.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Constance Towers. 

I just watched "Shock Corridor" (1963) and "Naked Kiss" (1964) for the first time recently, and I was struck by how impressive Constance's performances in both were. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Constance Towers. 

I just watched "Shock Corridor" (1963) and "Naked Kiss" (1964) for the first time recently, and I was struck by how impressive Constance's performances in both were. 

I agree she's quite good. She would become more known for her guest starring work on primetime television, and her starring roles on daytime soaps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donald Pleasence. Appeared in a lot of interesting films. He's someone people should discuss a bit more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Donald Pleasence. Appeared in a lot of interesting films. He's someone people should discuss a bit more.

I used to mention him a lot in reviews, as he was an actor whose work I was trying to see all of. Then someone else chimed in about how awful and ugly they thought he was, and wondered why he ever had a career. Beyond that I don't recall much discussion of him. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I used to mention him a lot in reviews, as he was an actor whose work I was trying to see all of. Then someone else chimed in about how awful and ugly they thought he was, and wondered why he ever had a career. Beyond that I don't recall much discussion of him. 

Notable films for Pleasence include Polanski's CUL-DE-SAC (1965) and Kotcheff's WAKE IN FRIGHT (1971). 

He's also quite good in an episode of Columbo entitled 'Any Old Port in a Storm' from 1973.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

How About Eli Wallach - Not discussed much don't even know if he ever had a SOTM. 

There seems to be a few threads about him, including an obit thread. Oh, and some joker started this old thread:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/31963-eli-walllach-to-get-oscar/?tab=comments#comment-587094

It does seem odd that he's never had a SUTS day or been SOTM.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Notable films for Pleasence include Polanski's CUL-DE-SAC (1965) and Kotcheff's WAKE IN FRIGHT (1971). 

He's also quite good in an episode of Columbo entitled 'Any Old Port in a Storm' from 1973.

I would think his most well-known parts were in The Great EscapeYou Only Live Twice, and of course the Halloween movies. 

I thought he was good in the two films you mention, as well as Dr. CrippenFantastic Voyage, and Soldier Blue. His breakthrough role was in the original 1954 BBC version of 1984, and he appeared in the 1956 film version as well. He ended up with around 160 film and TV-movie credits.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I used to mention him a lot in reviews, as he was an actor whose work I was trying to see all of. Then someone else chimed in about how awful and ugly they thought he was, and wondered why he ever had a career. Beyond that I don't recall much discussion of him. 

Several weeks ago I saw him starring in a "Twilight Zone" on Me-TV. It was sadly memorable and reminiscent of a "Goodbye Mr. Chips" type theme.

I didn't remember him, but he was amazing. I think he really should have had a bigger/ more distinguished career. But the British competition of his day was very heavy.

(BTW-- Larry, What post-War movie is that for Toshibo on your avatar?-- it's very inviting!)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I would think his most well-known parts were in The Great EscapeYou Only Live Twice, and of course the Halloween movies. 

I thought he was good in the two films you mention, as well as Dr. CrippenFantastic Voyage, and Soldier Blue. His breakthrough role was in the original 1954 BBC version of 1984, and he appeared in the 1956 film version as well. He ended up with around 160 film and TV-movie credits.

To me, his most memorable performance is as the oddly British US president in Escape From New York.

"You're the Duke of New York. A Number One!" :lol:

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

(BTW-- Larry, What post-War movie is that for Toshibo on your avatar?-- it's very inviting!)

It's from Snow Trail (1947), Mifune's debut. He co-stars with Takashi Shimura, who he would appear with in many of his Akira Kurosawa films. Kurosawa got screenplay credit on Snow Trail

CsDf9Gf.jpg

snow+trail.jpg

snow-trail.jpg

st11.jpg

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

It's from Snow Trail (1947), Mifune's debut. He co-stars with Takashi Shimura, who he would appear with in many of his Akira Kurosawa films. Kurosawa got screenplay credit on Snow Trail

CsDf9Gf.jpg

snow+trail.jpg

snow-trail.jpg

st11.jpg

 

Thank you. This is truly terrific because I have never seen this before!

"Drunken Angel" was the first VHS that I bought of his work.

As you know Takashi Shimura was the star of "Drunken Angel" but got completely eclipsed by Mifune. Kurosawa said he felt a little sorry for him but it was just an unbelievable performance.

The Japanese fans actually thought Mifune was crazy after they saw that movie oh, that must have been part of his appeal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back at the turn of the century when I first started studying the tendencies of the TCM Programmers I noticed they use to rely heavily on "One Reel Wonders" to fill time between films instead of what they are doing now.  I could always count on seeing a Thelma Todd short when I would turn TCM on.  TCM Programmers relied on her short films and "Crime Never Pays", I think that was the title of the short movie series, and other short films to fill time between films.  I could not help but notice Thelma Todd.  Thelma Todd may be mention on other "Discussion Groups" on TCM.com but she is hardly ever mention in the "General Discussions" threads now.   

Another overlooked actress who may receive mention on the TCM "General Discussion" board during the month of February only because its Black History Month but is basically ignored is Nina Mae McKinney.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody ever talks about this guy...and he was in a lot of popular "A" films.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 11.11.23 AM.jpeg

Rossano Brazzi

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Nobody ever talks about this guy...and he was in a lot of popular "A" films.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 11.11.23 AM.jpeg

Rossano Brazzi

I really liked him in Summertime with Katharine Hepburn! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just watching The Very Thought of You with Dennis Morgan, Eleanor Parker, Dane Clark, and Faye Emerson. I really liked Dane Clark's performance in this film and the other films of his that I've seen.  He always seems to play the buddy to the male lead, like he does in Pride of the Marines, a film with similar themes to The Very Thought of You

One film of Clark's that I thought was really interesting was Backfire.  He was in more of a villainous type role, rather than just buddy to Edmond O'Brien or Gordon MacRae.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I really liked him in Summertime with Katharine Hepburn! 

Yes. He's very good with Hepburn in SUMMERTIME (1955).

Rossano Brazzi had become a star in his native Italy in the mid-40s, which brought him to the attention of bosses at MGM. The Hollywood studio promptly cast him as the more grown-up romantic lead in its remake of LITTLE WOMEN (1949).

screen-shot-2019-11-21-at-11.27.19-am.jpeg

Eight years later Brazzi and costar June Allyson re-teamed for Universal's romantic sudser INTERLUDE (1957).

screen-shot-2019-11-21-at-11.27.52-am.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My answer to the question posed by OP is:

Any threads about particular movie stars should be in the Your Favorites sub-forum category, not General Discussions.

I've participated in discussions about individual stars (Alan Ladd/Paulette Goddard) & character actors (Dane Clark, Thomas Mitchell) there and would be great if more people migrated & contributed to other sub-forums now & then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

My answer to the question posed by OP is:

Any threads about particular movie stars should be in the Your Favorites sub-forum category, not General Discussions.

I've participated in discussions about individual stars (Alan Ladd/Paulette Goddard) & character actors (Dane Clark, Thomas Mitchell) there and would be great if more people migrated & contributed to other sub-forums now & then.

As you know, some of us do use the other forums/sub-forums quite a lot. However, the "problem" with Your Favorites is that it's not a place to discuss a performer who is not exactly a favorite. Sometimes a need arises to discuss a performer or performance that one does not particularly like.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say that it's possible to post the name of a performer whom it seemed never gets their own thread and who is not a "favorite".  And I'd suggest that more than one of us on these forums like a lot more than just one actor or actress and feel they too, deserve a thread devoted to them.  

Some of us in here had posted more than one name.  Heh!  They can't all be a "favorite", can they?  Among one's "favorites" perhaps, ;)  And since too, most of us are eclectic in our tastes and preferences, it boils down to what one of my photography instructors once said:

"Which camera is the best to use?  Well, the one you're holding!"  ;) 

Sepiatone

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I'd say that it's possible to post the name of a performer whom it seemed never gets their own thread and who is not a "favorite".  And I'd suggest that more than one of us on these forums like a lot more than just one actor or actress and feel they too, deserve a thread devoted to them.  

Some of us in here had posted more than one name.  Heh!  They can't all be a "favorite", can they?  Among one's "favorites" perhaps, ;)  And since too, most of us are eclectic in our tastes and preferences, it boils down to what one of my photography instructors once said:

"Which camera is the best to use?  Well, the one you're holding!"  ;) 

Sepiatone

I guess this is where we say "my most favorite," or "one of my favorites"...since yeah, some of us have a lot of favorites. LOL

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...