Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

A few months ago when the 1969 set Tarantino film was opening, I asked what your favorite films of 1969, 50 years ago this year, were. Now we are less than 2 months away from the first year of the 1970s turning 50. So with that in mind, a retrospective look at that year is in order. Just feel free to make a list of your favorites, or just name a film or two. Anything you wish. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. The Landlord
2. The Ballad of Cable Hogue
3. Darling Lili
4. Donkey Skin
5. Patton
6. Lovers and Other Strangers
7. Puzzle of a Downfall Child
8. Sunflower
9. The Walking Stick
10. Catch-22
11. The Great White Hope
12. Ryan's Daughter
13. I Never Sang for My Father
14. Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon
15. The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes
16. The Aristocats
17. The Only Game in Town
18. The Wild Child
19. Brewster McCloud
20. Diary of a Mad Housewife
21. Five Easy Pieces
22. Airport
23. The Conformist
24. MASH
25. On a Clear Day You Can See Forever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From that list, only RYAN'S DAUGHTER, FIVE EASY PIECES and I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER really impressed me.

It's probably blasphemous to admit this, but I never got into PATTON or MASH. ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER, well let's just say I'm not the biggest Barbra Streisand fan.

Cinema-wise, 1970 was probably the weakest year for me as far as the films that were released that year goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1970 Favorites   (169 titles seen) - Probably my least favorite film year of that decade.

  1. Woodstock
  2. The Conformist
  3. Gimme Shelter
  4. Little Big Man
  5. Performance
  6. Patton
  7. El Topo
  8. Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion
  9. Brewster McCloud
  10. Zatoichi Goes to the Fire Festival
  11. White Sun of the Desert
  12. Dodes'ka-den
  13. Soldier Blue
  14. Five Easy Pieces
  15. Tristana
  16. The Honeymoon Killers
  17. MASH
  18. Zabriskie Point
  19. Joe
  20. Catch-22
  21. Start the Revolution Without Me
  22. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
  23. The Garden of the Finzi-Continis
  24. The Vampire Lovers
  25. Colossus: The Forbin Project
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. White Sun of the Desert

2. Patton

3. Many Wars Ago

4. El Topo

5. Little Big Man

6. The Wild Child

7. MASH

8. The Ear

9. Red Detachment of Women

10. Even Dwarves Started Small

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of my favorites have not been mentioned-

The Boys In The Band-excellent film version of the Mart Crowley play, directed by William Friedkin. The entire original Broadway cast recreate their roles. This is a hilarious and sometimes brutally honest look at gay life in the late 60s, early 70s. The dialogue is some of the best I have heard in a play or movie.

The Mind Of Mr Soames-Terence Stamp is a 30 year old man who has been in a coma since birth, Robert Vaughn is the surgeon who awakens him. A great look at parenting, Vaughn tries a more compassionate way while fellow doctor Nigel Davenport believes in a cold clinical approach. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen everymovie madein 1970, but of those mentioned so far(which I'll leave out here) and since this can't possibly be about the best movies of that year(again, too subjective) some I liked best were:

LOVE STORY( yeah, I know....schmaltz soaked, but I did enjoy it OK)

M*A*S*H*

WOODSTOCK

LITTLE BIG MAN

TORA! TORA! TORA!

THE BOYS IN THE BAND

THE CHEYENNE SOCIAL CLUB

GIMME SHELTER

JOE

A MAN CALLED HORSE

THE OUT OF TOWNERS

Sepiatone


 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lawrence and Gershwin, I thought I was the only one on the bds. to see EL Topo! Midnight show. Many scenes in this one really freaked me out at the time. I wouldn't say it was a favorite, but certainly unforgettable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

1. The Landlord
2. The Ballad of Cable Hogue
3. Darling Lili
4. Donkey Skin
5. Patton
6. Lovers and Other Strangers
7. Puzzle of a Downfall Child
8. Sunflower
9. The Walking Stick
10. Catch-22
11. The Great White Hope
12. Ryan's Daughter
13. I Never Sang for My Father
14. Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon
15. The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes
16. The Aristocats
17. The Only Game in Town
18. The Wild Child
19. Brewster McCloud
20. Diary of a Mad Housewife
21. Five Easy Pieces
22. Airport
23. The Conformist
24. MASH
25. On a Clear Day You Can See Forever

I would, like you, include The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Patton, Catch 22, The Great White Hope, Five Easy Pieces, The Conformist and MASH in my list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

1970 Favorites   (169 titles seen) - Probably my least favorite film year of that decade.

  1. Woodstock
  2. The Conformist
  3. Gimme Shelter
  4. Little Big Man
  5. Performance
  6. Patton
  7. El Topo
  8. Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion
  9. Brewster McCloud
  10. Zatoichi Goes to the Fire Festival
  11. White Sun of the Desert
  12. Dodes'ka-den
  13. Soldier Blue
  14. Five Easy Pieces
  15. Tristana
  16. The Honeymoon Killers
  17. MASH
  18. Zabriskie Point
  19. Joe
  20. Catch-22
  21. Start the Revolution Without Me
  22. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
  23. The Garden of the Finzi-Continis
  24. The Vampire Lovers
  25. Colossus: The Forbin Project

Joe had a very young Susan Sarandon in it. She is one of my all-time favourite actresses. "Thelma and Louise", what a movie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JOE cemented my favor for PETER BOYLE as for too long an underappreciated actor.  Not thankfully for his entire career, but for too long a time. As for Sarandon....

I paid her no mind in Joe, and only count PRETTY BABY and ATLANTIC CITY as movies she did that I can tolerate.  Sorry, but we part on THELMA AND LOUISE, as the best thing in that movie was them driving off that cliff!  ;) 

Sepiatone

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Top 10:

1. The Ear (Karel Kachyna, Czechoslovakia)
2. Patton (Franklin J. Schaffner, USA)
3. Performance (Donald Cammell and Nicolas Roeg, UK)
4. Woodstock (Michael Wadleigh, USA)
5. Tristiana (Luis Buneul, France)
6. Little Big Man (Arthur Penn, USA)
7. The Garden of the Finzi-Continis (Vittorio De Sica, Italy)
8. El Topo (Alejandro Jodorowsky, Mexico)
9. Deep End (Jerzy Skolimowsky, UK)
10. The Spider's Strategem (Bernardo Bertolucci, Italy)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

JOE cemented my favor for PETER BOYLE as for too long an underappreciated actor.  Not thankfully for his entire career, but for too long a time. As for Sarandon....

I paid her no mind in Joe, and only count PRETTY BABY and ATLANTIC CITY as movies she did that I can tolerate.  Sorry, but we part on THELMA AND LOUISE, as the best thing in that movie was them driving off that cliff!  ;) 

Sepiatone

 

Totally disagree! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And you're free to.  This really isn't a "Thelma and Louise" appreciation thread, and certainly not some kind of Orwellian Oceania c i r c l e  j e r k.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And you're free to.  This really isn't a "Thelma and Louise" appreciation thread, and certainly not some kind of Orwellian Oceania c i r c l e  j e r k.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I completely forgot to mention that she was also great in "Dead Man Walking" as well as in "Arbitrage"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

House of Dark Shadows because many believe it saved M-G-M from bankruptcy.:)

"fangs, nip."

Image result for dark shadows jonathan frid barnabas collins

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 9:56 AM, Sepiatone said:

JOE cemented my favor for PETER BOYLE as for too long an underappreciated actor.  Not thankfully for his entire career, but for too long a time. As for Sarandon....

I paid her no mind in Joe, and only count PRETTY BABY and ATLANTIC CITY as movies she did that I can tolerate.  Sorry, but we part on THELMA AND LOUISE, as the best thing in that movie was them driving off that cliff!  ;) 

Sepiatone

 

Thelma and Louise is like a duller, lamer, more heavy handed version of Badlands or Bonnie and Clyde. I disliked it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorites are

1. Five Easy Pieces

2. Women in Love (1969?)

3. MASH

4. Patton

 

Foreign:

1. The Garden of the Finzi-Contini

2. The Conformist

3. Tristana

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. The Confession
  2. Tora! Tora! Tora!
  3. The Conformist
  4. Le Petit Theatre de Jean Renoir
  5. Five Easy Pieces
  6. The Red Circle
  7. Deep End
  8. The Wild Child
  9. Little Big Man
  10. The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes
  11. The Ballad of Cable Hogue
  12. Woodstock
  13. Tristana
  14. Days and Nights in the Forest
  15. Wanda
  16. Zabriskie Point
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Two of my favorites have not been mentioned-

The Boys In The Band-excellent film version of the Mart Crowley play, directed by William Friedkin. The entire original Broadway cast recreate their roles. This is a hilarious and sometimes brutally honest look at gay life in the late 60s, early 70s. The dialogue is some of the best I have heard in a play or movie.

The Mind Of Mr Soames-Terence Stamp is a 30 year old man who has been in a coma since birth, Robert Vaughn is the surgeon who awakens him. A great look at parenting, Vaughn tries a more compassionate way while fellow doctor Nigel Davenport believes in a cold clinical approach. 

Terence stamp invents the pitchfork swing.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 7:10 PM, Arsan404 said:

My favorites are

1. Five Easy Pieces

2. Women in Love (1969?)

3. MASH

4. Patton

 

Foreign:

1. The Garden of the Fonzi-Contini

2. The Conformist

3. Tristana

 

Women in Love was indeed released in 1970.  Glenda Jackson won the Best Actress Oscar.  However, The Garden of the Finzi-Continis won the Foreign Language Oscar for 1971 (presented in 1972).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, Sepiatone said:

JOE cemented my favor for PETER BOYLE as for too long an underappreciated actor.  Not thankfully for his entire career, but for too long a time. As for Sarandon....

I paid her no mind in Joe, and only count PRETTY BABY and ATLANTIC CITY as movies she did that I can tolerate.  Sorry, but we part on THELMA AND LOUISE, as the best thing in that movie was them driving off that cliff!  ;) 

Sepiatone

 

I forgot about JOE, yes that is a great movie, and Peter Boyle is absolutely fantastic in it. I am glad that he finally got the recognition he deserved, even if it was belated, in EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND. He was hilarious as Frank Barone.

As for Susan Sarandon, I can take her or leave her. I think she did deserve her Oscar for DEAD MAN WALKING, but THELMA AND LOUISE kind of left me cold.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(The) Ballad of Cable Hogue 

Soldier Blue

Five Easy Pieces

Barquero 

The Honeymoon Killers

Little Big Man 

Two Mules for Sister Sara 

El topo 

Mash

El Condor 

Companeros 

Darker Than Amber 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...