Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NickAndNora34

What are Some Old Movies You Would Recommend to Young People?

I am no where near this age group, but I do think a lot of these suggestions are good. i just want to add Mutiny on the Bounty from 1935. Great cast and lots of action. Some of it can be edgy but I think kids can handle it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY has a great performance from Charles Laughton as the hated Captain Bligh.

I would also recommend 2 other Laughton performances. The obsessed, law-obiding, Inspector Javert in the 1935 LES MISERABLES, unrelenting in his pursuit of Jean Valjean (Fredric March). It's easy to dislike Javert but at the same time you also can't help pitying him when (SPOILER ALERT) Valjean's act of sparing his life challenges his life long belief of "once a no-good criminal, always a no-good criminal."

And the tragic Quasimodo in 1939'S THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, he just breaks your heart, his closing line "Why was I not made of stone?" is heart-wrenching as he sees his beloved Esmeralda (Maureen O'Hara) riding off with another man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

That's interesting, but still doesn't explain your inclusion of THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION on your list of "old" movies.  (RIF ;) )

Sepiatone

That's a good question! I guess when I was typing, I got carried away and did not realize that Shawshank is not that old of a movie...

• Thanks 1

There's really no pat answer to this question, as even though despite attempts by "social media" and consumer goods manufacturers, even young people are made up mostly of individuals, many of them with different points of view and basic interests than you or I.  Which means trying to cram a list of movies YOU like best doesn't mean THEY'LL like them.  It's best to know the kinds of things that interest any of them and try to find a classic movie that fits that.  One instance-----

I got one nephew interested in older movies by simply suggesting a few "pre-codes" to him, knowing that some of those flimsy, see through clingy dresses some women wore in them would generate more interest in him!  ;)  And then he also got interested in the stories some of them had,  so now, he more and more often looks to see what TCM is showing.  He went from what some call "parlor comedies" (DINNER AT EIGHT, MY MAN GODFREY) then "screwball" and others.  And as I know he doesn't like any music older than the '80's, I don't even bother trying to interest him in any musicals.  It's more of a time invested process than an instant conversion.  And so much patience is needed.

Sepiatone

So many well known movies have been mentioned. How about some less well known film? Less well known but classics to me.

ACE IN THE HOLE.         aka THE BIG CARNIVAL

MY NAME IS JULIA ROSS

THE  MOST  DANGEROUS  GAME

• Like 1

Well, those are also pretty well known 'round here.  ;)  but good suggestions.

Sepiatone