Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dommy

Angles With Dirty Faces

25 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

If some kids choose to idolize Rocky, then that's their choice, I don't think it's fair to blame the director, the writers or the actors.

I say it is the responsibility of the parents to make their children see the difference between someone like him on screen and others like him in real life, only much worse.

Sure it's the responsibility of parents (assuming the kids have them, of course), but the studios shouldn't be let off the hook when it comes to any messaging that comes from their product, particularly with a film like Angels which would be seen to many as a slice of street realism. It would be the studio heads, film producers and, in some cases, writers that should take the blame, by the way. The director and actors are just doing their jobs.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Tom.

BTW, I am so happy to have a civilized discussion with you. That's one thing I don't miss about the IMBD forums....the hostile remarks and juvenile insults when somebody disagrees with another.

9 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Tom.

BTW, I am so happy to have a civilized discussion with you. That's one thing I don't miss about the IMBD forums....the hostile remarks and juvenile insults when somebody disagrees with another.

Well, it might be best avoid the Off Topics section then. You might be disappointed. Generally speaking I think the discussions in General Discussions remain pretty civilized.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TomJH said:

Well, it might be best avoid the Off Topics section then. You might be disappointed. Generally speaking I think the discussions in General Discussions remain pretty civilized.

giphy.gif

;)

23 hours ago, TomJH said:

Well, it might be best avoid the Off Topics section then. You might be disappointed.

source.gif

On 11/9/2019 at 8:14 AM, Dommy said:

MovieCollector I am not saying the movie is politically incorrect.  I said that because everything from movies and songs are being viewed with such angst saying that line was is not appropriate.  For instance the classic Christmas sing "Baby It's Cold Outside" was taken of radio stations playlist saying the song suggests date rape.  Now John Legend and Kelly Clarkson are remaking the song but they had to change the lyrics.  I can't think of anything in "Angels With Dirty Faces" that is offensive.  If it is a rights issue, I wonder who has the rights to it.  Thanks for the link.

FYI:  The song Baby,, was taken off the playlist by ONE station.   This was a PR stunt so this ONE station would get free PR.  They did,  but most of it was negative.   (other stations may have joined the bandwagon,, but I didn't hear that any did,  especially after all the negative feedback the station owners got).

As pointed out Angels isn't shown on TCM because of "rights" issues, AND,  TCM has yet to not broadcast a film for PC reasons.    E.g.  TCM has shown and I believe will continue to show Birth of a Nation. 

I'm only replying now because the last two post show content that might be offensive to some (a man hitting a women),  BUT,  I have faith that TCM will not change their policy and join in private party PC "censorship".

Note: "censorship" is in quotes because I only use the term for government censorship.  E.g. FCC rules, fines, etc....   That was NOT the case with Baby, and it isn't the case with 99% of "censorship" for PC reasons.   

Well in Angels With Dirty Faces, James Cagney didn't slap Ann Sheridan she slapped him.

12 hours ago, Dommy said:

Well in Angels With Dirty Faces, James Cagney didn't slap Ann Sheridan she slapped him.

The actor who plays the young James Cagney character does slap the actress who plays the young Ann Sheridan character, which sets up the scene you mention.

• Like 1

tumblr_otvkjeDJg81qe1c77o1_400.jpg

7e56a45b3ac92deef0f121a459dcb391.png

He didn't last very long in Hollywood but Frankie Burke gave a remarkable performance as the young Rocky. He vanished from the scene in 1941, his whereabouts unknown for 20 years.

And here's an irony. Remember how Burke, as young Rocky, just before getting nabbed by the cops in a boxcar, was talking about hoping aboard a train to Florida with his pal, Jerry? Sometimes life can imitate art for, according to IMBd, in the early '60s that same Burke, now forgotten and living the life of a hobo, was riding the rails when, in Junction City, Kansas he felt too ill to continue and was diagnosed with lung cancer. He would be taken to a Kansas long care facility, passing away there in April, 1983.

• Thanks 1

Burke was totally believable as the younger Rocky. There's a strong resemblance between him and Cagney, and he even nailed Cagney's Rocky-like mannerisms to a T.

21 minutes ago, TomJH said:

tumblr_otvkjeDJg81qe1c77o1_400.jpg

7e56a45b3ac92deef0f121a459dcb391.png

He didn't last very long in Hollywood but Frankie Burke gave a remarkable performance as the young Rocky. He vanished from the scene in 1941, his whereabouts unknown for 20 years.

And here's an irony. Remember how Burke, as young Rocky, just before getting nabbed by the cops in a boxcar, was talking about hoping aboard a train to Florida with his pal, Jerry? Sometimes life can imitate art for, according to IMBd, in the early '60s that same Burke, now forgotten and living the life of a hobo, was riding the rails when, in Junction City, Kansas he felt too ill to continue and was diagnosed with lung cancer. He would be taken to a Kansas long care facility, passing away there in April, 1983.

Kind of like Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce on the TV show Frasier.