Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Favorite titles (even if they aren't your favorite movies)

On 11/10/2019 at 3:18 PM, Forty-One said:

I don't know why, but I have always liked the titles based on Tennessee Williams plays:

A Streetcar Named Desire

The Night of the Iguana

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

The Glass Menagerie

The Fugitive Kind

Baby Doll

Suddenly Last Summer

Sweet Bird of Youth

Same here -- I think Tennessee Williams had a real knack for vividly descriptive titles.

To your list, I'd add Period of Adjustment, Williams' sole comedy as far as I know, and a Christmas movie to boot!  The title phrase is used in the movie, when Tony Franciosa is helping Jim Hutton with the trials of his new marriage, assuring him that he and his new wife are just going through a "period of adjustment."  The irony is that Tony's own marriage is facing some serious challenges.  I'd highly recommend this movie, which also features a great early performance by Jane Fonda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?

And quite a few of Lina Wertmullers Italian titles...

Overwhelmed by an unusual destiny in the blue sea of August (original title) aka Swept Away (1974)

Film of love and anarchy, or 'this morning at 10 in via dei Fiori in the famous house of tolerance ...' aka Love and Anarchy (1973)

The end of the world in our usual bed on a rainy night aka A Night Full of Rain (1978)

Summer Night with Greek Profile, Almond Eyes and Scent of Basil (1986) they used the direct translation.

6 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?

And quite a few of Lina Wertmullers Italian titles...

Overwhelmed by an unusual destiny in the blue sea of August (original title) aka Swept Away (1974)

Film of love and anarchy, or 'this morning at 10 in via dei Fiori in the famous house of tolerance ...' aka Love and Anarchy (1973)

The end of the world in our usual bed on a rainy night aka A Night Full of Rain (1978)

Summer Night with Greek Profile, Almond Eyes and Scent of Basil (1986) they used the direct translation.

So obviously you favor long titles. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

So obviously you favor long titles.

on those obviously.

• Like 1

The thing about Fanny and Alexander is that Fanny is not only a girl, but is the younger of the two siblings and is one of the more minor characters in the movies.  Yet she comes before her brother, who's the protagonist.

On 11/12/2019 at 11:39 AM, BingFan said:

Same here -- I think Tennessee Williams had a real knack for vividly descriptive titles.

To your list, I'd add Period of Adjustment, Williams' sole comedy as far as I know, and a Christmas movie to boot!  The title phrase is used in the movie, when Tony Franciosa is helping Jim Hutton with the trials of his new marriage, assuring him that he and his new wife are just going through a "period of adjustment."  The irony is that Tony's own marriage is facing some serious challenges.  I'd highly recommend this movie, which also features a great early performance by Jane Fonda.

I'm with ya there!  Loved that movie since first seeing it on TV back in the mid '60's and(at the time) only familiar with who ANTHONY FRANCIOSA  JIM HUTTON and JOHN McGIVER  were.  And since only just acquiring it on DVD have added it to my Christmas movie collection (I keep all Christmas movies in one spot on a shelf in my movie cabinet).  And true, Fonda is a gem in this one.  I still "fall out" laughing during the scene of her phone conversation with her Father.  :D 

Sepiatone

There's something about a good title dealing with the devil, or hell, that I really enjoy.

Merrily We Go To Hell (1932)
Satan Met A Lady (1936)
To The Devil... A Daughter (1976)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spritz Nipper said:

There's something about a good title dealing with the devil, or hell, that I really enjoy.

Merrily We Go To Hell (1932)
Satan Met A Lady (1936)
To The Devil... A Daughter (1976)

There's a Joan Collins horror film from 1975 called THE DEVIL WITHIN HER. Sort of a British take on Rosemary's Baby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don't_Want_to_Be_Born

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spritz Nipper said:

Wow, I love the original title I Don't Want To Be Born.

TCM aired it a few years ago...but it's been awhile.

Collins is stylish and fantastic as always.

5 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

In The Mouth Of Madness (1995)

What does it even mean? :) 

14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

What does it even mean? :) 

I'm not sure, the movie is about an insurance investigator (Sam Neill) who is searching for a missing horror story writer whose book drives people crazy. Which still doesn't explain the title, I never saw the movie so maybe that would help explain things.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

In The Mouth Of Madness (1995)

And here I would've thought it was a story about Hitler's dentist.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I'm not sure, the movie is about an insurance investigator (Sam Neill) who is searching for a missing horror story writer whose book drives people crazy. Which still doesn't explain the title, I never saw the movie so maybe that would help explain things.

The movie and the title are an homage to the works of H.P. Lovecraft, whose books/stories included such florid titles as At the Mountains of Madness  and The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

And here I would've thought it was a story about Hitler's dentist.

Like if Mel Brooks had remade LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS...yeah? :) 

30 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Like if Mel Brooks had remade LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS...yeah? :) 

Funny you should mention Mel here, TB.

This morning on CBS Sunday Morning, there was a segment with Ben Mankiewicz interviewing him. It was mostly about the love of Mel's life...Anne Bancroft.

(...and Mel is still as sharp as the proverbial tack at age 93)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Funny you should mention Mel here, TB.

This morning on CBS Sunday Morning, there was a segment with Ben Mankiewicz interviewing him. It was mostly about the love of Mel's life...Anne Bancroft.

(...and Mel is still as sharp as the proverbial tack at age 93)

Nice. I would like to have seen it. Maybe someone will put it on YouTube later.