Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 Fun Facts About A Classic TV Series

3.  Newhart insisted on two changes when developing the show:  First, that his character was a psychologist rather than a psychiatrist to avoid making fun of serious mental illness. Second, that he and Emily do not have kids to avoid typical family sitcom tropes. 

• Like 1

5.  The opening sequence of Newhart leaving his office and taking the L to his home is inaccurate.  He works on Michigan Avenue and lives in the Edgewater neighborhood but appears to get off in the town of Evanston.  

"I get on what in Chicago was the Ravenswood 'L,' and I'm taking that, I'm going home from the office. And I get off, the little station I get off at, that's on the ground -- the 'L' at some point goes on the ground -- which is about 55 blocks from our apartment. I do this every day. I miss my stop and walk back 55 blocks to our apartment," said the 87-year-old Newhart. "Now, would you want a therapist who missed his stop every day?"  

• Haha 2

6. Tom Poston had a recurring role as a guy named Cliff Murdock, appearing in five episodes. In 1982 Poston would be cast as handyman George Utley on Newhart. Poston and Newhart were lifelong friends. And later Poston would marry Suzanne Pleshette.

screen.jpeg

• Like 2

8. Bob Newhart's sitcoms were usually self-titled in some way. There was this program, The Bob Newhart Show, which was followed four years later by Newhart. After that, he did a sitcom called Bob. However Bob didn't succeed with audiences and was cancelled midway through the second season. So when he returned to sitcoms he switched gears and stopped using his name in the title-- especially since the next sitcom costarred Judd Hirsch and he was no longer the only lead actor. That one was named after their characters, George & Leo

10. Marcia Wallace, who played Carol, went on to do voice over work. Notably in The Simpsons from 1990 until her death in 2013, usually as the character Edna Krabappel. She also played Secretary #66 in a 1994 episode of Murphy Brown in which Bob Newhart also makes an appearance as Dr. Bob Hartley. 

• 3 weeks later...