Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Pop Up Ads During Films

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

You mean you had this happen while watching something on TCM??  :o

Sepiatone

Yes, I do. It’s similar to the TCM logo when it pops up, but a good bit bigger. I’ve only watched about 10 minutes of the movie so far, so it happened in that interval. I was streaming a recording I made the other night using Plex, so it’s possible they inserted it, although I use Plex a lot and have never seen that before. I’ll continue to investigate. 

I never see anything "pop up" during any movies I see on TCM, ant their logo is usually inconspicuously down in the lower right-hand corner of my screen.  The only exceptions are those "emergency tests" at about noon every Wed., and that's with agreement with my cable provider. 

Sepiatone

Through the process of elimination, I have determined that the culprit is in fact Plex, and not TCM. So my apologies to AT&T. I don’t pay Plex anything, so I guess I can’t get too upset. It hasn’t happened very often so far.

1 hour ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Guess I don't know what Plex is and why you use it to watch TCM.

I dvr a lot of movies off of TCM and store them on a hard drive. Plex is an app that lets me stream them to my tv. 

2 hours ago, alleybj said:

Through the process of elimination, I have determined that the culprit is in fact Plex, and not TCM. So my apologies to AT&T. I don’t pay Plex anything, so I guess I can’t get too upset. It hasn’t happened very often so far.

I must admit this is one of those things I might have come across but not looked into.  At a cursory first glance, it seems Plex is free software.  Then I come across this on Wikipedia:

Plex offers a paid-subscription service called Plex Pass, with additional features, including synchronization with mobile devices, cloud storage integration, metadata fetching for music, support for multiple users, parental controls, live TV and DVR, trailers, extras, and cross-selling offers.

So maybe free to install, but paid services available.   If you are receiving their Plex Pass service, then you might expect to see "cross-selling offers", though it would seem inappropriate to insert popup ads onto TCM.

Who is your provider?

1 hour ago, alleybj said:

I dvr a lot of movies off of TCM and store them on a hard drive. Plex is an app that lets me stream them to my tv. 

I have cloud DVR with Comcast. A maximum of 60 hours at $10/month, which makes me furious. I seldom DVR, but would like a better option than Comcast.

In looking at TIVO, the 500 GB is $200 and $15/month. So I'd be paying even more for 75 hours of DVR.

My provider is Comcast, and I use TiVo to record and then offload movies to a hard drive. Plex then indexes them and let’s me stream them at will. There’s a Plex app for TiVo, Appletv, Roku and more. So far the pop ups have been not that annoying now that I know where they’re coming from. I don’t know whether an upgrade to the paid Plex subscription might make them go away. 

1 hour ago, alleybj said:

My provider is Comcast, and I use TiVo to record and then offload movies to a hard drive. Plex then indexes them and let’s me stream them at will. There’s a Plex app for TiVo, Appletv, Roku and more. So far the pop ups have been not that annoying now that I know where they’re coming from. I don’t know whether an upgrade to the paid Plex subscription might make them go away. 

There are several different ways to skin the cat, in your case using a Tivo as the capture device.  Sounds good.