Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JakeHolman

‘Ford v Ferrari’ is a very pleasant (fast) ride

There was talk this past weekend among the group of guys I ride motorcycles with around here in Sedona of seeing this movie when it hits the local cinema this coming weekend.

Yep, looks good alright.

(...especially if you happen to be a gearhead like we are)

• Like 1

I saw this movie today and thought it was quite good, possibly not great. I was struck how by one character is continually represented as a villain - perpetually short-sighted, usually moronic and occasionally outright evil. I thought to myself, "boy if this is a real person, his kids definitely didn't write the screenplay".

Turns out it was a real person, and I found this article online from three years ago (then the 50th anniversary of the race depicted in the movie), possibly before anyone even knew a movie was going to be made about the event. I will say no more. Don't click on the link if you don't want the ending spoiled for you. But if you've already seen the movie or at least know how the real-life race ended, you might find it interesting.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2016/05/17/the-vilification-of-leo-beebe-fords-mission-to-win-le-mans-in-1966/

Yep sewhite, I saw this movie last Monday, and as I walked out of the theater I too began wondering if Ford exec Leo Beebe was really as much a ****wad and brown-nosing yes-man in real life as actor Josh Lucas (and yes, very good in the role) and the script portrayed him to be.

I had a feeling that aspect of the film was played up in order to add a bit more dramatic tension to proceedings.

(...I found that same link the other day and perused it, and yes even though I too thought this a very well made movie with very good acting all-around, excellent cinematography and pacing and few if any anachronisms I noticed, it seems it's might be another case of that old saying "Don't get your history from Hollywood movies")

• Thanks 1

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl990348801/?ref_=bo_hm_RECENT_WEEKEND_WIDGET_2

saw it this afternoon ... liked it ... racing scenes on the big screen are exhilarating ... ford motor politics yes men culture vs. the entrepreneurial racing team mavericks made for a good theme ...

should garner some oscar nominations ...4 1/2 stars out of 5 ...

"The historical drama ‘Ford v Ferrari’ starring Matt Damon and Christian Bale is lighting up the box office, but it really stands out because it celebrates two things Hollywood hates today: men and ambition".

26 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't understand the ambition reference. Is this because Rey got her Force powers without even having to work at it?

Forget it sewhite, it's Chinatown.

Oops! I meant, forget it sewhite, it's just another conservative white male with insecurity issues griping about the fact that not everything in today's world revolves around them, and that besides the many movies Hollywood STILL produces for and about that particularly demographic on a regular basis, it is now supplying products that cater to a wider demographic than just them.

(...you know like most "snowflakes" have a tendency to do and regardless their political leanings...gripe about things)

5 hours ago, JakeHolman said:

Nicely written article with a very good premise...that the Edsel model could have been used as FoMoCo's "McGuffin" in this film and thus shown as the catalysis for Henry Ford's wish to change Ford's image with the public.

Only the writer got one thing wrong. The Edsel's quick demise and failure in the marketplace was NOT because of it being "poorly assembled" and "unreliable", which they were not, or any more so than any other Ford model made during that time.

Nope, the reason the Edsel didn't catch on was primarily because of two factors. One being that it was an attempt to edge its way into the mid-grade automobile market and which was already saturated with brands such as Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick, Dodge and Ford's own mid-grade car brand Mercury, but also because of the late-'50s economic recession which affected for a while those who might "step up" from a Chevrolet or Ford or Plymouth and to a higher end brand.

(...not that anybody will actually acknowledge MY knowledge of this issue here of course, and thus help cease this bit of inaccurate auto history that this article perpetuates)

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nicely written article with a very good premise...that the Edsel model could have been used as FoMoCo's "McGuffin" in this film and thus shown as the catalysis for Henry Ford's wish to change Ford's image with the public.

Only the writer got one thing wrong. The Edsel's quick demise and failure in the marketplace was NOT because of it being "poorly assembled" and "unreliable", which they were not, or any more so than any other Ford model made during that time.

Nope, the reason the Edsel didn't catch on was primarily because of two factors. One being that it was an attempt to edge its way into the mid-grade automobile market and which was already saturated with brands such as Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick, Dodge and Ford's own mid-grade car brand Mercury, but also because of the late-'50s economic recession which affected for a while those who might "step up" from a Chevrolet or Ford or Plymouth and to a higher end brand.

(...not that anybody will actually acknowledge MY knowledge of this issue here of course, and thus help cease this bit of inaccurate auto history that this article perpetuates)

i'll accept your expertise regarding mechanical and cosmetic workings of automobiles although i do believe there are some valid reasons to challenge your take on the Edsel. The movie clearly has a scene when iaccoca is challenged about ford's performance over the past three years in the boardroom with henry II present. This is made clear and iaccoca responds in kind. henry II is also in the plant laying out the state of affairs of the company. There is no major flaw to the film to my way of thinking. The length of the film could have been shortened.

But all and all a great throwback to the sixties ...

• Like 1

i like the new format ...

youtube is crystal clear with a bigger screen ...  twitter posts are very good ...

use chrome ... 16" laptop ...

Merry Christmas

Jake Holman 

Box Office

Budget:

$97,600,000 (estimated)

Opening Weekend USA:

$31,474,958, 17 November 2019

Gross USA:

$101,961,608

Cumulative Worldwide Gross:

$192,961,608

See more on IMDbPro »

__5d7e37843840b.jpg

a lot of old white guys like me came out to watch it ... of course others too ...