Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yanceycravat

Classic Film Confessions - Name a Classic Film you've no interest in seeing

Recommended Posts

I am considered by some of my closest friends to be something of an amateur film historian and vocal proponent of good and bad movies of the Golden Age of Hollywood but I have a dirty secret...

There is one great film, heralded by many for its beauty and class, that I just can't bring myself to watch. I know I should but I just can't seem to make the effort. I would rather watch THE BIG SLEEP for the umpteenth time than finally sit down and see what all the fuss is about.

I'm not entirely sure why this is but there it is none the less. I see the startlingly lush technicolor images flicker on my screen and I am intrigued. But not enough to watch it. I yawn. It seems too highbrow, too boring. I know, I know. I am ashamed. I say this while watching an hour long 1930's Warner Brothers quota quickie, with a B level cast, that looks like it was blown up from a soft 16mm print. And I am enjoying the hell out of something I should be sniffing at! What's wrong with me???

I fear I will meet Martin Scorsese one day and when we are knee deep in our cinema conversation I foolishly admit that I've never seen the particular film of which I speak. Good 'Ol Marty's mouth drops to the floor. For a moment he stares at me with utter contempt. He closes his eyes holding back the urge to strike me and walks away in disgust shouting over his shoulder that he is calling SAG to have me removed from their rolls.

I thought about this all day and realized I must confess to you all that I have never seen, nor do I have the slightest interest in ever seeing...

No, not THE RED SHOES... but...

BLACK NARCISSUS!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I suppose I can understand this, Yancey.

Sure, movies about crazy nuns in far-off places might not be to everyone's tastes. ;)

(...and heck for that matter, probably the ONLY reason I've ever found any appreciation for it at all was because of Jack Cardiff's outstanding cinematography)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's your loss for not watching Black Narcissus. If only because you're missing the film's climax which, aside from being beautifully photographed and underscored with an eerie choir accompaniment, is as suspenseful a sequence as you could hope to see.

Narcissus_Ruth_CUEyes_hires.jpg

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what he means though, there are several classic movies I have no interest in seeing. In fact, we screened THE RED SHOES and even though I lurve Powell Pressberger films (Black Narcissus especially) after watching it twice, still didn't like it.

I watched The Godfather once and will never watch Pt 2 or 3. Same for Lawrence of Arabia, boxing films and brutal war films. 

Although I love Stanley Kubrick, I won't see FULL METAL JACKET.

While I love some Scorsese films, I'll never see RAGING BULL, GOODFELLAS, CASINO, GANGS OF NY, etc.

There's probably others, just none come to mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I know what he means though, there are several classic movies I have no interest in seeing. In fact, we screened THE RED SHOES and even though I lurve Powell Pressberger films (Black Narcissus especially) after watching it twice, still didn't like it.

I watched The Godfather once and will never watch Pt 2 or 3. Same for Lawrence of Arabia, boxing films and brutal war films. 

Although I love Stanley Kubrick, I won't see FULL METAL JACKET.

While I love some Scorsese films, I'll never see RAGING BULL, GOODFELLAS, CASINO, GANGS OF NY, etc.

There's probably others, just none come to mind.

TikiSoo, forgive me if my memory is faltering, but didn't you once also resist seeing Black Narcissus on these boards only to change your mind about the film after you saw it?

I'm not a fan of The Red Shoes either. One viewing was quite enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Scorsese, but I have yet to see MEAN STREETS and have no desire to.

HEARTBREAK RIDGE is just about the only Clint Eastwood film I haven't seen....is it any good?

As I mentioned in another thread, I haven't seen THE SISTERS with Bette Davis and Errol Flynn, but all the talk in there has got me riled up wanting to check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BETH--- It's up to you to decide if you think HEARTBREAK RIDGE is any good or not.  Me?  Personally, I don't count it among his best( or better) movies, but I can take it or leave it. 

TIKI?---- Puh-LEEZE stop using "lurve" for "love". :angry:  I rate that up there in the annoyance scale with those that say "ANYWHO" instead of "anyway" or  "anyhow". OR also; "c o c k-a-roach".  I like and respect you too much to let that pass.

As there's a lot of "classic" movies I'm not interested in seeing, it's mostly just based on how it's described in any listing summary. If it's not described in an interesting way then I'll likely not bother.  Especially if most the cast is made up of actors or actresses I don't care for anyway. So, paring it all down to one is difficult. 

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TomJH said:

TikiSoo, forgive me if my memory is faltering, but didn't you once also resist seeing Black Narcissus on these boards only to change your mind about the film after you saw it?

You have a better memory than me-I think you might be right (say with Cary Grant inflection) I absolutely love when my opinion turns around by giving a movie another try. Sometimes it goes the other way, though and second viewing I wonder why I ever liked it, haha.

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

TIKI?---- Puh-LEEZE stop using "lurve" for "love". :angry: 

But you're OK with this?

DOAF-1089-DoanAThon-1920x550.jpg

Actually, sorry didn't think that would annoy anyone. It's the infernet.

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

also; "c o c k-a-roach"

I actually like ****-a-roach. Is that an old NYC dialect? Or immigrant pronunciation?

**** whoah. Now I see why you spaced it out.

5110000454.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if there's any classic film that I have NO interest in watching, I usually at least try to watch them, especially if they're acclaimed or noteworthy for some reason.  However, there are many films that I have seen and immediately regretted my decision afterwards.  E.g. Godfather 1 & 2.  I know the Godfather series of films have their champions, but I just can't with these movies.  They move so slowly and I lose interest in them very quickly.  I am also not a big Marlon Brando fan (I think he's better in his 1950s films), so I don't really see anything special about his performance.  I just find the Godfather movies incredibly boring.  Now would I watch them again? Maybe.  But re-watching them ranks so far down at the bottom of my list (no doubt buried under 100 re-watches of The Long, Long Trailer). Apocalypse Now also ranks in this category.  Talk about 100 hours of my life I'll never get back! 

There are many classic films that I haven't seen, but am not dying to watch at the moment, but wouldn't count them out, e.g. Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago

My movie viewing goes in waves based on whatever kick I'm currently on.  Right now, I'm on two kicks concurrently: Bette Davis and watching DVR'd Criterion films that I haven't seen so I can purchase any I cannot live without before the end of the B&N sale. My 80s-90s nostalgia films also pop in here and there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Is there one I haven't seen?

How about General Crack, with John Barrymore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TomJH said:

How about General Crack, with John Barrymore?

Saw it opening night. Ehhh, it was OK. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

You have a better memory than me-I think you might be right (say with Cary Grant inflection) I absolutely love when my opinion turns around by giving a movie another try. Sometimes it goes the other way, though and second viewing I wonder why I ever liked it, haha.

But you're OK with this?

DOAF-1089-DoanAThon-1920x550.jpg

Actually, sorry didn't think that would annoy anyone. It's the infernet.

I actually like ****-a-roach. Is that an old NYC dialect? Or immigrant pronunciation?

**** whoah. Now I see why you spaced it out.

5110000454.jpg

Yes, Tiki. I believe it's in the very same dialect as Rosie Perez here once called her newly purchased vehicle on Dave Letterman's show...

;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Although I love Stanley Kubrick, I won't see FULL METAL JACKET.

For me, it's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

 

15 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

I fear I will meet Martin Scorsese one day and when we are knee deep in our cinema conversation I foolishly admit that I've never seen the particular film of which I speak. Good 'Ol Marty's mouth drops to the floor. For a moment he stares at me with utter contempt. He closes his eyes holding back the urge to strike me and walks away in disgust shouting over his shoulder that he is calling SAG to have me removed from their rolls.

That would only happen if you told him you'd rather see AVENGERS:ENDGAME.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy FULL METAL JACKET and consider A CLOCKWORK ORANGE Kubrick at his very best, but I can understand why a lot of people would not want to see either film (especially CLOCKWORK ORANGE).

I know Gene Kelly hated A CLOCKWORK ORANGE because he felt that (bit of a spoiler here) Alex **** a tied up woman and beating up a helpless old man while he was crooning out SINGIN' IN THE RAIN forever tainted Kelly's beloved song.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Is there one I haven't seen?

I was kidding with the above statement, based on the amount of movies I've seen, which is a lot (too many?).

However, to seriously answer the thread query, I can't think of any movie that's generally regarded as a great, all-time classic that I haven't seen, especially if one is referring to American films. Maybe someone will mention one that I've missed, but I don't think so. Maybe some late 60's or 70's musicals? 

There are none that I've consciously avoided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Stoopnagle said:

For me, it's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

Yep, I like many of Kubrick's film, but have never been able to sit through an entire showing of this film.

(...maybe one day I'll give it one more chance and eventually see why so many people consider it a "masterpiece")

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep, I like many of Kubrick's film, but have never been able to sit through an entire showing of this film.

(...maybe one day I'll give it one more chance and eventually see why so many people consider it a "masterpiece")

I’ve found that of the Kubrick films I’ve seen, most are a chore. ”Lolita” was pretty good. 
 

I just don’t find Kubrick that great? It’s probably more the issue of him not making many films that sound appealing to me. I do have “The Killing” on my DVR. So we’ll see what happens. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one isn't super old, but my film club has ruined Taxi Driver for me. At least right now, I have no desire to see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NickAndNora34 said:

This one isn't super old, but my film club has ruined Taxi Driver for me. At least right now, I have no desire to see it. 

Did you ever see it or not prior to this film club? Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't know if there's any classic film that I have NO interest in watching, I usually at least try to watch them, especially if they're acclaimed or noteworthy for some reason.  However, there are many films that I have seen and immediately regretted my decision afterwards.  E.g. Godfather 1 & 2.  I know the Godfather series of films have their champions, but I just can't with these movies.  They move so slowly and I lose interest in them very quickly.  I am also not a big Marlon Brando fan (I think he's better in his 1950s films), so I don't really see anything special about his performance. 

They move so slowly . . . amen, sister, especially Part 2. Nothing special about Brando's performance . . . amen, sister. But we are in the minority. I actually enjoy watching parts of the first Godfather, but only the scenes where someone gets killed. Which is weird, because I usually hate violent movies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kingrat said:

They move so slowly . . . amen, sister, especially Part 2. Nothing special about Brando's performance . . . amen, sister. But we are in the minority. I actually enjoy watching parts of the first Godfather, but only the scenes where someone gets killed. Which is weird, because I usually hate violent movies.

YES! The tollbooth and horsehead in the bed scenes were the best parts of part 1.

Then I saw part 2.  I actually thought it was actually pretty good when I got to the "end." Then I learned that it was not in fact the end, but it was the INTERMISSION! Ugh. All feelings of goodwill that I had towards part 2 quickly dissipated, and I was mad at the movie by the end. 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it's Dr. Strangelove.  I never really cared for Peter Sellers' humor and this just doesn't pull me to it.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Web50 said:

For me, it's Dr. Strangelove.  I never really cared for Peter Sellers' humor and this just doesn't pull me to it.

I don't care for Peter Sellers either.  I have yet to find him funny.  I find him more annoying than anything else.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't care for Peter Sellers either.  I have yet to find him funny.  I find him more annoying than anything else.

Hey speedy! Do ya know what they call a male prostitute in England?

(...heard this one before, have ya?!...yeah, it's an old one alright, but with you bein' a little more tender in age than most around here, I thought it might be worth a try here anyway) ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...