Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was watching the election episode of Blackadder the Third and I noticed the joke that when the "Standing at the Back, Dressed Stupidly and Looking Stupid Party" guy is explaining their policies, apart from the abolition of slavery punchline, he DOESN'T qualify that "free corsets for the under-fives" means little girls. Heh Heh Heh! Ha Ha Ha!

On 11/15/2019 at 6:23 PM, Susan Hopkins said:

I was watching the election episode of Blackadder the Third and I noticed the joke that when the "Standing at the Back, Dressed Stupidly and Looking Stupid Party" guy is explaining their policies, apart from the abolition of slavery punchline, he DOESN'T qualify that "free corsets for the under-fives" means little girls. Heh Heh Heh! Ha Ha Ha!

It's been a long time since I've seen Blackadder, (back when it was on CBC which I could pick up when I was living in Montana) even had to look up which era the Third covered. lol.

I absolutely love Blackadder. I remember watching the show on PBS back in the late 80s. I remember remarking how few episodes there were per season. For that show and for Red Dwarf. And now we essentially have seasons that are only about ten episodes in length, on HBO in particular.

The tiny number of episodes has been the British way of doing a series for many years, and now the US seems to be largely following their model.

I was wondering where that idea came from.  Time was, a television "season" was akin to school semesters and automobile model years.  You know, the new car models coming out in Sept. of one year and continuing until June or July the following year.  Like starting the new semester at school in Sept. and going on summer vacation the middle of the next year.  And of course, the new TV season in Sept., and the season ending the following June with reruns or "summer replacement" shows until it was September again.  ;)  Now, a show( DWTS is a good example) can be on TV for five years, but celebrate TEN SEASONS! :o  Well, "Dancing" has been broadcast for 14 years, and claims 28 seasons!  Spring is one season, and Winter/fall the next. :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

Just one of the many changes in the ways "television" is presented to us. I remember reading an article in Entertainment Weekly when The Good Wife came to an end that it might be just about the last American television show to have an old-timey 22-24 episode season.