Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
yanceycravat

Any Superman fans catch George Reeves in Tear Gas Squad (1940)?

Although Reeves was a second lead it was fun to see him acting in an early role against frequent SUPERMAN co-star Ben Welden.  Over the course of the series Welden was featured in roughly eight episodes. Interestingly John (Perry White) Hamilton also appears in the film.  I always get a kick out of moments in time like this.

Tear Gas Squad (1940)

TCM Synopsis: A brave young policeman single-handedly takes on a vicious criminal gang.

IMDB Synopsis: Nightclub singer becomes police cadet to impress blond female from police family, ends up with her current dating partner as his cadet trainer.

Which one wants to make you see the movie more?

14 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Although Reeves was a second lead it was fun to see him acting in an early role against frequent SUPERMAN co-star Ben Welden.  Over the course of the series Welden was featured in roughly eight episodes. Interestingly John (Perry White) Hamilton also appears in the film.  I always get a kick out of moments in time like this.

Tear Gas Squad (1940)

TCM Synopsis: A brave young policeman single-handedly takes on a vicious criminal gang.

IMDB Synopsis: Nightclub singer becomes police cadet to impress blond female from police family, ends up with her current dating partner as his cadet trainer.

Well since I'm partial to blonde females,,,,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

Tear Gas Squad (1940)

George Reeves has a considerable filmography, not just "The Tear Gas Squad".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Reeves

He made for one of the most memorable episodes and best one liner in "I Love Lucy"

After asking was Ricky married to her.

And they call me Superman!

lucy-and-superman.jpg?itok=oXzLQPic

:lol:

He appeared in 'Gone with the Wind' — and was incorrectly credited.

Reeves pops up in the movie's opening scenes, as a suitor to Scarlett O'Hara with bright red hair, one of two "Tarleton Twins." His character name is Stuart, though the credits mislabel his role as "Brent Tarleton." Gone with the Wind was George Brewer's first film role as George Reeves, after Warner changed his name. However, the epic took so long to produce, it would end up being his fifth film released.

VmvHp-1451946498-891-list_items-reeves_g

The TCM synopsis makes me want to see it more, because I actually sat down to was a previous showing many years ago before realizing it was Dennis Morgan doing irritating Irish-style singing.

9 minutes ago, Fedya said:

The TCM synopsis makes me want to see it more, because I actually sat down to was a previous showing many years ago before realizing it was Dennis Morgan doing irritating Irish-style singing.

There's something about this B programmer that I just love. It is so mistitled. There is much more tenor than tear gas. Can you imagine patrons back in 1940 getting upset when they paid for what they thought was a crime film and got this? It's a musical! It's a romance! It's a police procedural! And it moves so fast you don't notice it does none of them particularly well! Back to the original question - yes I did see George Reeves! Did anybody else notice Lon Chaney Jr. in "Lucky Devils" a couple of weeks back? He was actually billed as Creighton Chaney, which was his given name.

It's ironic that Dennis Morgan was known for "Irish style singing" when he was actually of Swedish descent. His real name was Earl Stanley Morner.

• Like 2