Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LsDoorMat

So how did TCM fill up the schedule in Dec 2005 when Bing Crosby was SOTM?

I was just noticing Bing Crosby was SOTM in December 2005. Since Bing did just about every movie he ever made for Paramount, and not even those were restored by 2005 with maybe the exception of Holiday Inn, how did TCM fill out the schedule? I guess this is probably more of a question for MovieCollector, since he has done such detailed work with the TCM schedules. I have a list of Bing's films, and just a quick perusal of the list shows just "Going Hollywood" and "High Society" in the WB/RKO/MGM library.

December 2005 was also the last time "Golden Dawn" and "Dancing Sweeties" were shown. What an odd month December 2005 must have been. I wonder if they showed some of Bing's Christmas TV appearances?

P.S. for those of you discussing the term "woke" - Golden Dawn is an example of a film that is not "woke". Hilariously so actually.  "Mary Queen of Scots" (2018) is an example of a film that is "woke" and also an example of why some of us roll our eyes at the term. Either Mary or Elizabeth - can't remember which - has black advisors, and there is an Asian lady in waiting in Elizabeth's court. However did they get there in  1560? Also Mary's private secretary David Rizzio is shown as openly gay.  At a time when homosexuality was punishable by death, we are expected to believe that Catholic queen Mary was so "with it" that she just accepted Rizzio into her gaggle of ladies in waiting. I'm sure the producers wanted to put a hispanic in the cast, but with the New World still largely a mystery to Europe, even they couldn't come up with some way to do THAT.   

20 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Either Mary or Elizabeth - can't remember which - has black advisors, and there is an Asian lady in waiting in Elizabeth's court. However did they get there in  1560? Also Mary's private secretary David Rizzio is shown as openly gay.

I either started a thread about or at least reviewed this film at the the time it came out and provided a link to an interview with the director, whom I assure you was completely disinterested in the inaccuracies you mention but rather took it as a point of pride and as a triumph for progressive thinking that there was diversified casting in a non-traditional context. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

I either started a thread about or at least reviewed this film at the the time it came out and provided a link to an interview with the director, whom I assure you was completely disinterested in the inaccuracies you mention but rather took it as a point of pride and as a triumph for progressive thinking that there was diversified casting in a non-traditional context.  

Which is fine if you are making a film that is in some fantasy world that is only loosely tethered to the Middle Ages as it existed in Europe. Not so fine if you are making a film based on history.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Snoopy-Yawn.png

Sorry to bore you Snoopy. May you sleep and dream of Sopwith Camels and overweight cats that can't run very fast.

Hmmm. Well, the movies are traditionally a bad place to get any accurate representation of history, I think, from Birth of a Nation on through John Wayne Westerns or whatever. I didn't personally see any great harm in the casting choices. 

1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

Which is fine if you are making a film that is in some fantasy world that is only loosely tethered to the Middle Ages as it existed in Europe. Not so fine if you are making a film based on history.

The Great Movie Buddha says:  Don't get your history from movies.  Movies are always about the times they are made in, not the times they depict.  

1 minute ago, slaytonf said:

The Great Movie Buddha says:  Don't get your history from movies.  Movies are always about the times they are made in, not the times they depict.   

Oh, great. Let's start making westerns in which the cowpokes drive cars and just take pictures of the stage coach robbers on their smart phones.

You are being intentionally obtuse.  Filmmakers in Hollywood, and around the world have always altered history to suit the conveniences of the movie.  

13 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

You are being intentionally obtuse.  Filmmakers in Hollywood, and around the world have always altered history to suit the conveniences of the movie.  

If you define obtuse as pointing out how ridiculous it is to have a diverse cast on an island and at a time  that had no diversity of any kind - racial, religion, etc,. - then I plead guilty.

You actually had an interesting question about Crosby but you had to add in the other thing to get the easily agitated all riled up. You should have just posted that in the other thread.

• Like 1

I dislike being labeled "easily agitated" or the contention that I'm "all riled up", as I feel both descriptions easily apply more accurately to the OP than myself. Although I suppose just by saying I "dislike" it, you will use that as evidence to "prove" your point.

I too actually am curious about what ran during Crosby's SOTM. Could be they just didn't show many movies that month. When Robert Redford was SOTM, I think they only showed 15 movies. If somebody remembers what aired, I hope they share.

I found a link to this thread in which people mostly express boredom at the selection, are upset about the absence of one movie and believe Robert Osborne made a mistake on Bing's birth year (although someone recently harrumphed in another thread that Robert NEVER made mistakes like Dave Karger just did). Although what movies aired are never discussed:

I can not attest that this is complete list:

Going Hollywood (1933)
Pennies From Heaven (1936)
Road to Singapore (1940)
Road to Zanzibar (1941)
High Society (1956)
Road to Morocco (1942)
The Road to Utopia (1946)
Road to Bali (1952)
A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court (1949)
Going My Way (1944)
The Bells Of St. Mary's (1945)
Here Comes the Groom (1951)
Man On Fire (1957)
The Country Girl (1954)

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I found a link to this thread in which people mostly express boredom at the selection, are upset about the absence of one movie and believe Robert Osborne made a mistake on Bing's birth year (although someone recently harrumphed in another thread that Robert NEVER made mistakes like Dave Karger just did). Although what movies aired are never discussed: 

Thanks for the link sewhite. It's funny that people would express boredom at the selection. Today, if Universal and Paramount would cooperate, this could be an interesting month of films. It might even include The King of Jazz since it has been cleaned up and is even on Criterion now. Criterion and TCM seem to be in some kind of partnership, given what has been shown on TCM in recent months.

10 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

You actually had an interesting question about Crosby but you had to add in the other thing to get the easily agitated all riled up. You should have just posted that in the other thread.

Words of wisdom Gershwin. You always seem to be the peace maker around here.

21 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

If you define obtuse as pointing out how ridiculous it is to have a diverse cast on an island and at a time  that had no diversity of any kind - racial, religion, etc,. - then I plead guilty.

My comments were concise and appeared as criticism or dismissal.  I made them so you would not feel upset at this movie's inaccuracies, as they are not unique or egregious.  You should know as long as movies have been made, history has been cut, pasted, condensed, stretched, twisted and disregarded.  Movies are entertainment and not scholarly works, regardless of how good they are saying something about the human condition.  As the Buddha says, in his serene detachment, if you want accuracy, look elsewhere.

On 11/17/2019 at 12:25 AM, sewhite2000 said:

I dislike being labeled "easily agitated" or the contention that I'm "all riled up", as I feel both descriptions easily apply more accurately to the OP than myself. Although I suppose just by saying I "dislike" it, you will use that as evidence to "prove" your point.

I too actually am curious about what ran during Crosby's SOTM. Could be they just didn't show many movies that month. When Robert Redford was SOTM, I think they only showed 15 movies. If somebody remembers what aired, I hope they share.

Grace Kelly only made 12 films and she's been SOTM! I think they literally showed her entire filmography.  Audrey Hepburn was recently SOTM and she didn't make a ton of films either.  

19 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Grace Kelly only made 12 films and she's been SOTM! I think they literally showed her entire filmography.  Audrey Hepburn was recently SOTM and she didn't make a ton of films either.  

Well, then, I guess that opens the door for Tor Johnson ... not that he would need any help opening a door.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Well, then, I guess that opens the door for Tor Johnson ... not that he would need any help opening a door.

Maybe they can finally make James Dean SOTM and add CGI James Dean to a bunch of other films as a means to expand his filmography.

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

One doesn't open a door for Tor Johnson for Tor's sake.  One does so for the door's sake or because there is already a door and no need for a new opening in that room.

• Haha 3

On 11/17/2019 at 9:39 AM, LsDoorMat said:

Thanks for the link sewhite. It's funny that people would express boredom at the selection. Today, if Universal and Paramount would cooperate, this could be an interesting month of films. It might even include The King of Jazz since it has been cleaned up and is even on Criterion now. Criterion and TCM seem to be in some kind of partnership, given what has been shown on TCM in recent months.

They were joint partners in the late, lamented Streaming service FilmStruck. But like Disney (they added a Robert Osbourne outro (or was it intro?) to The Great Movie Ride in its last few years of operation before it closed), the partnership has gone on after the original joining element ended.

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I remember that. They got through the month with several of Grace Kelly's TV appearances if memory serves correctly.