Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JakeHolman

When Gene Roddenberry Explained 'Star Trek' in 1966

BRING BACK SHATNER!

EVEN HIS VOICE IN A CARTOON OR CGI WOULD BE BETTER THAN THE CURRENT SHEET.

Image result for william shatner kirk

• Thanks 1

Roddenberry was just another Hollywood pinko who tried to spread his commie

propaganda through a low budget sci-fi TV series. Needless to say, he failed miserably.

• Like 1

Roddenberry made the assumption there was life galore and a lot of aliens will be human-like.  Even had them interbreeding with us.  Don't know squat about genetics. (or microbes)

A movie quote from "Contact".

snKWTCg.jpg.jpg?1

Turns out I hate waste.  Too bad. 

One Trek theory noted that Gene Roddenberry had just recovered from a drinking problem, and that many of the early episodes can be seen as metaphors for Roddenberry's experiences:
Not just "The Enemy Within", with dual good-vs-bad Kirks, but also the beauty-drug addiction of "Mudd's Women", and "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", which was more about Kirk's psychological issues about losing control of the ship than it was about the kitschy "racial-metaphor" black-and-white aliens.

Also, the reason that Gene had been selling the series to the networks as "Wagon Train to the stars" was that he was considered one of the better TV-western writers in the industry at the time, Wagon Train included, and if you've seen any of Roddenberry's "Have Gun, Will Travel" scripts, Paladin could out-moral-lecture Kirk any day of the week.

star trek will never get it's antimatter nacelles back in shape with star trek until they look at shatner and what he did so right and what they have been doing that is so wrong. they wanted shatner out of star trek but in so doing they ripped the eggs right out of the horta. a movie vehicle with shatner as kirk being resurrected from the dead woulda been a blockbuster but that's how stupid paramount was and still is.

they can now say shatner is too old...no sheet! they waited long enough for him to be. shatner must've known if he had guest-starred on any of the spin-off shows that woulda been a huge windfall for paramount so he wasn't gonna reward schtootzes who were in the process of ruining star trek so a big hooray for...the man!

"intensity of drama! that's what my character is all about, that's why I'm aboard her!"

Image result for shatner kirk

16 hours ago, hamradio said:

To boldly go where no biker has gone before.

william-shatner-biker-2.jpg

How the great has fallen, sad. :wacko:

he's in his eighties and alotta guys his age can't even stand without a walker.

now ole bill...

"he did alright. -sam shepard, the right stuff

19 hours ago, hamradio said:

To boldly go where no biker has gone before.

william-shatner-biker-2.jpg

How the great has fallen, sad. :wacko:

Yeah, and especially if he only rides a Harley!

(...said by an Indian and Triumph rider here, of course) ;)

On 11/23/2019 at 8:01 PM, Dargo said:

Yeah, and especially if he only rides a Harley!

(...said by an Indian and Triumph rider here, of course) ;)

I bet Then Came Bronson woulda lasted much longer with shatner as jim bronson.

:)

30 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I bet Then Came Bronson woulda lasted much longer with shatner as jim bronson.

:)

Interesting thought here Nip, but I doubt Shatner starring in it would have helped lengthen its run, and for a few reasons.

First, in 1969 and when the show premiered, Shatner to me already seemed much more an "establishment" figure by then, and far less so than the cool and laconic and carefree and more "anti-establishment" sort as Michael Parks always seemed to come across and how he played Bronson in that series, and I think that that's how that character should have been played.

And secondly, considering that the Bronson series was an anthology series (basically "Route 66 on a motorcycle instead of a Corvette") and that that sort of TV series was on the wane by that time, and also factor in that Friday nights were then known as a ratings graveyard and for dramatic series especially for some reason, AND that one of basic draws for it was motorcycling itself and that that right there in a small niche market, these would be the reasons I would say if Shatner had played Bronson instead of Parks it wouldn't have helped its run last any longer.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:48 PM, NipkowDisc said:

star trek will never get it's antimatter nacelles back in shape with star trek until they look at shatner and what he did so right and what they have been doing that is so wrong.

Yup. It's taken Americans 40 years to realize Shatner was a major factor in the series success. People can make fun of him all they want, but in reality he's a character. Shatner's acting style is his schtick, making him interesting to watch. 

People embrace Cary Grant's schtick -really- who speaks in that cadence? 

Also, you can't discount Nimoy or any of the other supporting a actors, along with pretty interesting story lines. Sure, the costumes/sets were pretty schlocky, but Trekkies embrace that as "quaint".

hqdefault.jpg

(I can't believe searching "Star Trek OS pizza monster" resulted in this-I thought I was the only one who called it that!) 

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

...People embrace Cary Grant's schtick -really- who speaks in that cadence? 

The only one I can think of who comes close would be Craig Stevens when he played Peter Gunn on TV.

There's also this old Flintstones episode which was a sendup of the then popular Peter Gunn series in which Fred Flintstone is looking for "Perry Gunite, P.I.", and the voice artist doing his version of Craig Stevens' voice must have recognized this too, as he makes his Stevens impression sound a lot like you-know-who...

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

hqdefault.jpg

(I can't believe searching "Star Trek OS pizza monster" resulted in this-I thought I was the only one who called it that!) 

Pizza the Hutt (Spaceballs)

latest?cb=20181205062614

:lol:

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

There's also this old Flintstones episode which was a sendup of the then popular Peter Gunn series in which Fred Flintstone is looking for "Perry Gunite, P.I.", and the voice artist doing his version of Craig Stevens' voice must have recognized this too, as he makes his Stevens impression sound a lot like you-know-who...

Gunnite's cool-jazz-theme walk always cracked me up as a kid.  😁

That, and:
PG:  "So you think there's another man?"

Fred:  "I'm sure of it--He's been sending her icky stuff, like this: (shows poem)"

PG:  (reads) "It's a shame...A dirty shame."

Fred:  "You bet!"

PG:  "A shame I never learned to read."

(Try hearing that in the combination Craig Stevens/Cary Grant voice...)

• Like 1

HILARIOUS! 

I actually perfected that jerky walk as a child, never failing to crack up my older brother. (bet I still can do it too) He ALWAYS asked for a "Rocks on the rocks in a dirty glass" which made us all roll on the floor in laughter. The other oft used Flintstones quote in our household, "Everybody into the pool" (pronounced "puel")

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

that's how rich northeast democrats talk up in the hamptons.

:D

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

The other oft used Flintstones quote in our household, "Everybody into the pool" (pronounced "puel")

Okay, if we're spending a while on classic Flintstones lines:

Apart from little Rosalie Gypsum and her stage-mother, from the episode where Fred gets a job as school-bus driver, the other popular Flintstones quote in our house was from the time Wilma and Betty won a meatball-slogan contest:

8 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

that's how rich northeast democrats talk up in the hamptons.

Was that jab really necessary? 

Sorry, the fave quote wasn't called out in that last post. Is it "Lucky to get a cracker"?

Did you catch Howard Morris' voice as the announcer? "Bay-bee, bay-bee, bay-bee!" (Howard Morris was Jett Screamer too)

• Haha 1